Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying LEGO in Australia

red237red237 Member Posts: 300
edited July 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hi all. We are in the US and have family in Australia. They are interested in some of the Modular sets, but they are significantly cheaper in the US. Like hundreds of dollars cheaper, however shipping to AU is very costly. I can always take them out of the original box 'gasp' for shipping but is there a better way anyone else has discovered? I appreciate any tips, thank you!!

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    Unfortunately shipping to Australia (or anywhere else outside the USA for that matter) went up significantly this year. However my understanding is that even with shipping included USA prices are better, so your family members could still benefit.

Be careful about duty fees. There is a treshold on the value above which there are significant duty fees. Also, if the package looks commercial (meaning you send them several sets at once and it looks like it may be fore resale) there are even higher fees. It may make sense to send each set (or maybe a couple) separately, and ship them a week or so apart. Your family members can call their local postal service to find out what are the limits for duty fees.

Also, I have read numerous times that for Australians the best place to shop is Amazon France. Their prices on LEGO are very reasonable (not sure about Modulars specifically) and so is their shipping fees to Australia. So that may be a better option for your family than getting the sets thru you.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I know in Canada we have a small parcel service where I can ship Under 2kg surface for fractions the cost of regular parcel. I sell most of the sets in this range to Australians. You could look into if USPS offers something similar.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^ USPS doesn't ship surface to Australia, at least not last time I tried.

I've ordered from European Amazons to be delivered to the US with speedy delivery and quite low shipping prices, I think it was 5 pounds for the Epic Dragon Battle from the UK. My guess is that it would be quite cost effective for Australia too, especially if you're not looking for licensed sets. Quite unlike shipping from the US Amazon to France.

I don't know if postal customs charges are different but when I took my brother a Gibson guitar a few years ago Australian customs kicked in at $1,000 for people bringing things in themselves as gifts.

Good luck working it all out,

Jenni

• red237red237 Member Posts: 300
    Thanks everyone! I will look into those options and report back on the cheapest way!

Debra
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Sea mail? Not sure who offers it though.

Another option, that I’m not 100% sure will work out better, is to checkout a shipping forwarder. I know when I was looking at getting a SSD & DS (from private seller) shipping cost was going to be $160+ each, as they both go over some size threshold. I looked at one of the forwarding company’s and it was only going to be $100. Not sure if you can drop off to any of the forwarding companies or if you’d have to post to them as well. It may be worth looking into though.