Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Question to the Taj Mahal owners out there...

DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
Hi everybody,
i'm in the final stage of Bricklinking #10189 (Taj Mahal) i've used BL-inventory to get all the parts and here's my question: i'm pretty anal when it comes to buying all the "original"parts since i want the set to be 100%like the real one. BL doesn't list any parts as "alternate version"which is pretty uncommon generally and i wonder if the piece #4864b (white panel 1x2x2 hollow studs) was indeed the only version the set original came with? Could people who own the (original)set confirm if their set came with these panels (the old type without side-support) or if they maybe also had the newer version in them (with side-support)?

i've bought the core-pieces already and these are the last "hard to get"pieces i need and the ones without side-support cost a small fortune/are impossible to get in the quantity i need!

Please help me out!
Thanks

Comments

• emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    I have the original here. The piece is used on page 16 of instruction book three. The one I have has the piece without side supports. I would say that you can use the newer version if you like and it will not effect the build or display at all.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Thanks for your reply! Hmm well i would like to have it exactly as the official set,so i guess i have to go for the ones w/o side-support :( i thought that maybe some of the sets came with the newer panels with side-support!
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    Good luck getting those in quantity. I gave up on trying to find them for the Cafe Corner I sourced last summer. The side supports made for a smaller sized window, but not having to shell out that much cash per piece was worth it.

How many are in the Taj?
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    ^ 8
    The ones used in the Taj are actually one stud shorter that the ones from CC,but they seem harder to get:(
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    @Diggydoes - would you mind sharing the approximate $ amount it takes to Bricklink the Taj Mahal? I've followed the ebay auctions on the used ones and wonder if Bricklinking will be substantially cheaper, or if I should just stop thinking about this set.
    @klatu003 it's hard to determine the exact cost since i haven't finished yet and i BL it x2! Also i've had about 1/3 of the Bricks already in my own Inventory! It also depend how exact you want your copy to be like the original,for example there are some white dishes with hollwow studs which cost me over a 1€ each (i needed over 30),but you can replace them with the cheaper "solid stud"version! If you already have some of the pieces in your Inventory i would say it's cheaper to BL than to buy a used copy!
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 725
    @Diggydoes I'm not a purest on parts. I built a CC clone freely substituting colors and parts - that worked just fine for me. Taj does have to be white, but "solid stud" type substitutions would help. Looks like a good first step will be to inventory my loose parts and go from there. Thanks for the input.
    You're welcome! I guess when you're not really a purist you can BL one for about 300-400€ depending how many pieces you already own and if you go the "new"or "used"parts way!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    i want to say i spent $500 or so on mine. a few subs and i had a chunk of the common stuff in stock also, look for the items that are expensive/need a lot of on LEGO replacments parts - think I bought about 20 SKUs that way