Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The Hobbit: Laketown Chase

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,217
    What part of the movie was this?
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    I agree with the sentiment in the blog...
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,233
    That has the look of a very charming set.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited July 2013
    ^^^ None, it's part of the second Hobbit movie.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,217
    Geez, I thought I missed something in the 2:40
    legomatt
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    What? You thought you'd see the dragon first? :D
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    jasor said:

Really? The price per piece isn't great but it includes a small boat which makes up for it somewhat. I kind of like it. The picture is strangely dark or under exposed. I'll reserve final judgement when I see it in person.

• BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    It's ok.. I'll probably pick it up.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    Somewhat underwhelming.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,463
    Surprised at the lack of color in it. Buildings look nicely detailed though. Hard to judge without at least seeing some more of Laketown in the film. Can't remember if the trailer had any good views or not.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    A little disappointed with the price per piece but like with all LOTR set i'll probably end up picking it up anyway.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    I think the set looks excellent personally, although the price is not at all satisfactory.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    Better photos in Hoth Bricks' photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hothbricks/9324185268/in/photostream/

Bard is apparently being played by Will Turner. :)
    jasor said:

My initial impression was similar. I thought the boat looked pretty good but didn't like the buildings. Now that I've seen better photos, I do like the main building. But the boat looks bad at certain angles and I would have preferred a brick-built hull and mast.
    MathBuilder
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 717
    Exciting to see a bit of the next wave. Have to have all the LoTR-Hobbit sets (don't think I'll be able to afford the exclusive mini-BagEnd from 2013 CC though.) The Lake Town people have interesting headgear. Prince of Persia plus a fur edge? Guess the price is about in line with the last wave. 79004 was $39 for about the same count pieces & figure, but 79002 was $49 for a few more pieces, 5 figures plus 2 wargs. Guess 1 boat = 2 wargs? Looks like Bilbo and Thorin in the boat, a generic guard on the left. On the right dock the Master of Lake Town and the other figure might be Bard - hard to see in this image.
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 372
    The first picture I saw made the sets look all black. The hothbricks photos are better. Not bad, I'm sure it will be on sale unless it is a TRU exclusive and then it will be $59.99.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,372
    Looking at one of the Hothbricks photos, I wondered for a moment why there was an MTV sticker on the side of the boat...
    andhe
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited July 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

The book. ;-) The Barrel Escape comes from the next movie too.

Pitfall69
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 717
    @thenos -Thanks. At Hothbricks you can see the minifig is Bard with hopefully his mighty bow and not a large sausage. This wave should come out with the second movie in December.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    Hmmm, this is a bit underwhelming to me. I was hoping they'd reveal a set with a Lego Smaug dragon instead. After all, the second film is subtitled 'The Desolation of Smaug'.

Who am I kidding though? I'm not a superfan of the Hobbit movies, I'm just a sucker for Lego dragons :-)
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2013
    It's not bad as it is, but not unlike with Whitecap Bay, there's only so much you can do with an entire scene and stay under $100. It's not like they could risk giving a set like this the Ewok Village treatment (though I would buy it). Here's hoping they do a $200 Smaug-centric set that rivals Orthanc.
    klatu003y2joshLegoKip
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    I like it and pricing is about right considering barrel escape.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 279
    I do like the set, but I think they missed an opportunity to make something really special. I'm sure economics is the reason that it is smaller than what I would have expected from the set based on the Lake Town. The boat appears to be two row boats connected to form a larger boat.
  • ZacheranoZacherano Member Posts: 59
    The set is definitely reminiscent of the scene in the book, but certainly Lego did indeed have the chance to create an innovative architectural scene and instead settled for disconnected models. I would have preferred a small interconnected network of "floating" buildings rather than a boat with a couple movie studio-like fronts.

The minifigs do look nice though.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    margot said:

Pitfall69 said:

The book. ;-) The Barrel Escape comes from the next movie too.

As is the mirkwood spiders set.
    margot
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    As soon as I can purchase this set its a done deal. I have the precious hobbit sets before this and like heck will I let this slip through my fingers...
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 544
    devilhead said:

The boat appears to be two row boats connected to form a larger boat.

It does indeed, with a 4x8 plate to hold it together underneath while the shield conceals the junction from the side and the mast assembly from the top.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    The hobbit set isn't bad but my eyes couldn't stop drifting back to see how bad a$$ the LEGO movie police vehicle looks.
    andhe
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 499
    Wau... This set got atmospere! :-) It's almost a bit viking'ish!
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Why is there water only under certain parts of the building? Shouldn't there be like one bigger blue piece under instead of 2 x whatever plates? Looks odd...
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,292
    I like the set...a little on the pricey side but not too bad... I also noticed the print on Thorin is different than the original Thorin so other than Bilbo being exactly the same its four "new" mini figures
  • Dark_PegasusDark_Pegasus Member Posts: 37
    Set looks interesting, but expensive; which is almost a given, considering it's a licensed set.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,434
    Three or Four of these sets should make a decent Lake Village?
    Lake town will require a lot more MOCing. :)

But do I really need that many boats???
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,463
    Fun Fact: This is the 29th set with 'Chase' (or 'Chaser') in the set name. Need to research further to see where 'Escape' and 'Attack' place in the standings.
    trickydicky0880GuroooCapnRex101HarryPotterLoverLegoboyZacheranoMissingBrick
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    I just read The Hobbit again a few weeks ago. I don't remember any type of "chase" in Laketown. Peter Jackson stretching the story even more to justify 3 films that could have been done in 2?
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    The hope that I will be able to one day own all of the normally released LOTR affiliated sets slips further from my grasp as more and more are generated and the coins in my purse further depleted!
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Peter stretching it enough to include Galadriel and Legolas.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    edited July 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

Geez, I thought I missed something in the 2:40

HAH!

(looks like i'm the only one who 'got' it, so I decided to laugh extra loud, just to let @Pitfall69 know it was appreciated). :o)

I wonder what the handicap was?
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    Or... there was no joke intended... and I read something completely different... well, made me laugh anyway. :o)
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    Further to what SirBen and devilhead have noted, the main construction of the boat is exactly as #7016 Viking Boat against the Wyvern Dragon back in 2005. The 'furled' sails are a neat addition to the Laketown set.

By the way, #7016 went for $10 or £5.99 eight years ago. Not bad for a boat, 2 minifigures, and a little dragon.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Seems fairly reasonable, it'll be on offer in most places fairly soon and I imagine the boat is only about 6 pieces, much more valuable than 10 small stud pieces
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,626
    It looks dull. I can't really see kids pestering their parents for 'the brown looking half a building set'. Where are the flick fire missiles or the baddies? It just doesn't seem that dramatic.

That said I can see a few parts in new colours. Including Qui-gon hair in black on Will Turner Bard the Bowman.

On discount, this would make a nice parts pack.