Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What have you learned about AFOLs/The LEGO Community from reading the Brickset forum?

chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
edited July 2013 in Forum Operation
I discovered Brickset only a few months ago and I've learned a lot of things so far. I'm going to share three of them in the hopes that they will inspire you to comment or to share your own experiences. I'm keeping it down to three so I hopefully can't be accused of posting a blog. (Have mercy on me Brickset gods if I unknowingly commit this transgression!)
1) British people play with and collect Lego! Silly, I know, but I just never thought about anyone else outside of America playing with Lego, even though it's not really an American product.
2) Only Americans call Lego Legos. (You will notice I try to use "Lego" now, but I will still refer to them as "Legos" if we ever talk face to face, just out of habit.)
3) There are Lego enthusiasts who collect polybags. When I read those articles about the subject, I bought the Gandalf polybag I had been intentionally passing over because I already had a Gandalf.
I have many more but I'll stop there. So, what have you learned about AFOL Lego from reading Brickset and the Brickset forum? (I have to sneak in one more: some AFOL have a chrome fetish!)

Comments

• skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    edited July 2013
    Heh heh...and do Brits call a couple of Oreos, Oreo? ;)

En Garde!
    rancorbait
  • Big_Blue_WinkyBig_Blue_Winky Member Posts: 181
    I call Oreos poopies.

Lets be honest, everyone has a chrome fetish, can't beat the shiny shiny.
    skeet318
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    edited July 2013
    ^ Chrome poopies? :-)
    Big_Blue_Winkyskeet318
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,353
    Wow, this went off-topic fast...
    caperberryLostInTranslationrancorbaitsidersddjasoricey11791stlegotrooperGalactus
    Well...I certainly don't wanna discuss fetishes.
    Back on topic momentarily.
    I've not been on here long either, I've noticed that everyone here is always willing to help and come up with suggestions to aid in the wonderful plastic creations.
    I've also discovered that there's a lot more AFOLs out there than I first thought, until I dug out my old collection and started purchasing some more stuff I didn't know of a single other AFOL and thought I was a bit odd, now loads have come out the wood work from my work place and from discovering this site.
    rancorbaitlegofanfromleeds91stlegotrooper
    edited July 2013
    My apologies.

I've learned just to call em bricks and blocks!

; )
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    I've learnt that many of those who share my love of the brick have proved themselves to be among the kindest, friendliest, and most helpful people I've ever encountered online, let alone in real life.
    flowerpotgirlGothamConstructionCoindigobox91stlegotrooperMorkManLegobutterfly

A few things I have learned:
    1) Everyone else wants Mr gold as Much as I do.
    2) Discussions can go off topic very fast :-)
    3) @SirKevbags can get as many "likes" as there are members in one month. ;-)
    LostInTranslationindigoboxMinifigsMelegomatt
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    ^ Ditto on 3-5; 2 was learned the hard way, and 1 I never will.

I've learned that anticipating a set months away is not crazy; that details are VERY important; and that people without kids still play with ("collect") Lego.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,348
    I've learned that I seem to talk forever about Lego in a comment.

And that I'm not the only one that thinks these release dates are all askew and random and verging on annoying. They always seem to release the sets I want most last over here!
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,991
    edited July 2013
    I break up my comments into fragments. They are probably easier to read. Not that I ever post anything worthwhile. Just inane Star Wars quotes.
    rancorbait
    edited July 2013
    ^Hahaha. "I find your lack of useful comments disturbing" :-)
    Yellowcastlemargot91stlegotrooperplasmodium
  • beabea Member Posts: 226
    I think what I mostly realized is that people view Lego, especially figs, as a collectible and will pay hundreds of dollars for a single figure or and that there is a market for figures outside of sets. I also learned people run businesses on flipping Lego and others will pay them many times over msrp. And finally, I learned that a shared love of Lego brings folks together from all over.
    bea said:

I think what I mostly realized is that people view Lego, especially figs, as a collectible and will pay hundreds of dollars for a single figure or and that there is a market for figures outside of sets. I also learned people run businesses on flipping Lego and others will pay them many times over msrp. And finally, I learned that a shared love of Lego brings folks together from all over.

That's something I found out from here too, one of the things I looked at upon my Lego return was to get some of the sets I couldn't afford in my youth in the nineties and early 2000s, thought that with time they'd become pretty much worthless, how wrong I was. All I can say is I'm glad I was so OCD in my youth and kept all the boxes and instructions as some of the stuff I have now is worth a ridiculous amount, won't stop me playing with it though.
    caperberry
  • 14hours2save14hours2save Member Posts: 24
    @rancorbait, I don't want mr. gold, so that's one less afol to worry about.
    Furrysaurus
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    1) Not everyone has a sarcasm filter, but should
    2) The fanbase is varied, and super opinionated (in a good way) about whole sets, minifigs only, bricks only, or just off topic convo
    3) I am not a freak. *ammend that: I am ok for loving ABS with clutch.
    4) People are more talented and knowledgable than they give themselves credit, most of the time.
    5) There are other Lego sites?
    FurrysaurusTheLoneTensorLostInTranslationGuroooGalactus
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited July 2013
    I learned that putting M*** B**** or K*** in any kind of positive light was considered blasphemy
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    I learned how much time can be spent on LEGO without ever touching a brick (spending time on this site is a big part of that, as well as lego.com and other lego sites, LDD, etc).
    Schwallexicey117legomatt
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,353
    edited July 2013
    ^^ That's not true at all. I hear they're very good when used as fuel for fires.
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    There are a lot of people that:

1. Like to get the last word in.
    2. Win discussions.
    3. Correct others.

Furrysaurustedward
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 348
    ^no!! the fumes... you want to inhale that stuff???
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633

^^ That's not true at all. I hear they're very good when used as fuel for fires.

I was waiting for someone to say "Blasphemy !! LEGO bricks burn longer and brighter" :P

jasor
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    skeet318 said:

I was actually going to use the same analogy once when I first heard of this! There is an extra on the Batman Lego movie about an American who uses Lego to do stop motion animation. He brings a group of children into his studio and lets them play with Batman Lego sets and other elements from his collection. At one point he tells the children that he used to call more than one Lego "Legos" too but he learned that the correct term is "Lego". Holy crap, the Brits were right! What I thought was funnier though was when they interviewed the children every one of them still called them "Legos"! Rock on, American children!

skeet318
    Another thing I was really surprised to learn was how much AFOL were buying just to hold onto as investments. And we're talking about expensive sets, too! I can't say I wouldn't do it if I had the money, but when you can only afford to buy sets in the $20 price range and buying one that cost $80 is a special occasion, hearing that someone is spending thousands on Lego and not even opening any of it is MIND BLOWING!!! This is why I once started the thread asking who's keeping Lego alive, the children or the adults. When adults are building additions to their houses to accommodate their collections, I have to wonder. Once again, I'm not judging, because I would do it if I could too. :}
    Observer said:

2. Win discussions.
    3. Correct others.

I didnt have to join this forum to learn that. Those folks are ALL OVER THE PLACE. :D
    Furrysaurus
    Yes, they are all over the place, aren't they?! :}
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Observer said:

2. Win discussions.
    3. Correct others.

When using bullets that are simply phrases or fragments, using no end punctuation is prudent in such situations.

You asked for it :)
    jasorMorkMan
  • DanGPDanGP UKMember Posts: 66
    I've learnt just how tolerant my girlfriend is.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    DanGP said:

I've learnt just how tolerant my girlfriend is.

I can take only so much tolerance. ;o)

edited July 2013
    jasor said:

1) Not everyone has a sarcasm filter, but should
    2) The fanbase is varied, and super opinionated (in a good way) about whole sets, minifigs only, bricks only, or just off topic convo
    3) I am not a freak. *ammend that: I am ok for loving ABS with clutch.
    4) People are more talented and knowledgable than they give themselves credit, most of the time.
    5) There are other Lego sites?

Is there a sarcasm button or colour?
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 541
    There are lots of tabloid readers!
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,217
    ^ Sames, tho in my case it's my boyfriend! :)

skeet318 said:

I was actually going to use the same analogy once when I first heard of this! There is an extra on the Batman Lego movie about an American who uses Lego to do stop motion animation. He brings a group of children into his studio and lets them play with Batman Lego sets and other elements from his collection. At one point he tells the children that he used to call more than one Lego "Legos" too but he learned that the correct term is "Lego". Holy crap, the Brits were right! What I thought was funnier though was when they interviewed the children every one of them still called them "Legos"! Rock on, American children!

I googled it. I got nothing concrete just opinions. Why do these things amuse me? IMO, Webster and Oxford(? I read that Wiki article @aanchir but forgot his name) should have had a duel to settle this whole English language malarky. I like the u in words like colour, favourite , etc (my phone, as well) but really feel Brits should give the letter z more opportunities to shine. That's all.
    Er...I also learned Rancorbait tells the greatest jokes!
    rancorbait
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    That folks on brickset forum care enough about how many own a certain set and who wants that set... to fill out the little forms often enough to give everyone an idea about how rare and in demand a set is among the forum members. I had never seen this kind of set info. Wow!
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226

I was waiting for someone to say "Blasphemy !! LEGO bricks burn longer and brighter" :P

No. I'm sure the flame retardants used by TLG are superior. ;O)
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,991

No. I'm sure the flame retardants used by TLG are superior. ;O)
    Try this. It doesn't seem to work on AFOL's within this forum, but it might work on Lego.

carlqBrickarmor
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    The biggest thing I have learned about AFOLs is how fast they steer a subject off topic. I honestly have never been to another board that has seen so many subjects go off course and its ALLOWED. That was my joke for the day.

Seriously tho, I would go with polybag collectors. It amazes me how nuts people get over those things. Unless it's the obvious like the exclusive minifigures, I don't get what the great thing is about them.
    ^ speaking as a polybag collector (albeit one of fairly recent vintage), for me its a combination of the excitement of obtaining sets which are difficult to obtain/have a limited release time (most boxed sets are widely available for a good long while; where's the challenge in that? ;-), and the fact that my storage room is extremely limited; polys are perfect for storing in a small space. They're much easier to post between fellow collectors, too!
    edited July 2013
    jdylak said:

The biggest thing I have learned about AFOLs is how fast they steer a subject off topic. I honestly have never been to another board that has seen so many subjects go off course and its ALLOWED. That was my joke for the day.

Most off topics start with being TLG related, then follow this pattern:
    Observer said:

2. Win discussions.
    3. Correct others.

:P
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,023
    I've learnt that I am quite normal even though I play with lego.

And that everyone else here is nuts.
    icey117dejavuGothamConstructionCokhmellymelred5
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Wait...I thought I was the normal one and everyone else was crazy.
    ^ that depends on your definition of normal...;-P
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,006
    That AFOL is actually "something" and that they, well, we, actually do exist.
    sandtherapy
    This doesn't have to do with Lego, but I did learn it from Brickset forum: The quote "Luke, I am your father!" is not correct. And I'm an old school Star Wars fan! I had to watch the original version of Empire again just to be sure.
    SilentModemurphquake
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 895
    In the brief time that I've been here I've discovered:

i) Some think that the plural of LEGO isn't LEGO....
    ii) I'm really quite normal compared to some others.....
    iii) I never realised that you could get banned from buying too much LEGO from LEGO...
    iv) I should have invested in lots of HP, but have done well by not buying a DS or two... :-)

I've learned a lot of abbreviations but still scratch my head over some of them. HP=Harry Potter but what is DS?