Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO has officially announced 2 new LEGO Minecraft sets as SDCC!!

AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
edited July 2013 in Collecting
LEGO has officially announced and is displaying 2 new LEGO Minecraft sets at SDCC.

COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL: SAN DIEGO (July 17, 2013) -- Delighting LEGO® and Minecraft fans across the globe, The LEGO Group today announced it is extending its relationship with Swedish game developer Mojang to build on the blockbuster success of its first LEGO Minecraft building set to add two new models that will be released September 1, 2013.

LEGO Minecraft provides the opportunity to build, reconfigure and create new Minecraft micro-worlds in a physical LEGO way. The two new 3"x3"x3" models, The Village and The Nether, are on display for the first time at Comic-Con International in San Diego. Fans can also enjoy and take pictures with a large interactive 3D mosaic complete with Micromob character props at the LEGO booth (#2829).

"LEGO Minecraft is a perfect example of how people's passions can be amplified when digital and physical interests are combined, and there couldn't be more synergy between the engine that drives the Minecraft gaming experience and the creative fuel of a LEGO building experience," said Michelle Wilson, senior brand manager for LEGO Systems, Inc. "We are thrilled to continue our collaboration with Mojang to create new Minecraft characters and environments in LEGO form so that fans can get as creative as they'd like in their physical world as in their digital one."

"There's no doubt about the connection between LEGO building and Minecraft -- not only the design similarities, but the immense creativity that our fan bases share," said Lydia Winters, Mojang's director of fun. "Given how well received the first model was last year, we can't wait to see what fans think of these new designs."

LEGO Minecraft New Product Highlights

The Village

With this model, fans can create and customize their own Minecraft village with LEGO bricks. Just like the game, fans can build houses, grow crops and beware the mines in their own micro-world as well as play out their own storylines with Pig, Villager and Zombie constructible Micromob figures.

The Nether

Builders can create the Minecraft Obsidian Portal and The Nether to explore the newest biome with this microscale LEGO model, complete with Netherrack, gravel, flowing lava and bedrock. This model includes two Ghasts and one Zombie Pigman constructible Micromob figures.

The new LEGO Minecraft micro-scale models can be split into four sections and reconfigured for different play experiences. They will be available beginning September 1, 2013 with a suggested retail price of $34.99.

Pictures of the sets:
LukeSkywalker

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    I for one, hope that the boxes will be a different block for each set (ie. not a grass block).

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the design, but will still purchase it.
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    I really really don't get these, am I the only one?
    RomanticWarrioricey117FollowsCloselyvitreolumGurooo
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    My question is....will the CUUSOO team that brought the first set to fruition get ANYTHING on these future sets?

That will be a big indicator to anyone with a vested IP design who has a chance at getting their idea made...
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,366
    This news does not shock me at all. This IP seems like a perfect fit for LEGO and it has obviously been popular.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    Lego knew what they were doing when they designed the first set to be expansion friendly. Good question if these new sets tie into the original Cuusoo project. It gives hope that we could still see expansion sets like the BTTF Train instead of believeing it's "one and done."
    Adzbadboy
  • canuckcanuck Member Posts: 88
    These sets look great and will be a nice add-on to the first Minecraft set. I like the ghast and pigman but the zombie micromob somehow doesn't look quite right imo.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,835
    jasor said:

My question is....will the CUUSOO team that brought the first set to fruition get ANYTHING on these future sets?

That will be a big indicator to anyone with a vested IP design who has a chance at getting their idea made...

Yes. Because it was a Minecraft exec or team or something of the sort who submitted the winning project.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    jasor said:

I believe that the team that submitted Minecraft to Cuusoo is actually Mojang themselves, so as they own the IP I would imagine they'll get something ;)
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    Oh. well that changes the question then....

*changing question* How likely would future sets be with a 3rd party designer?

No wonder TLG is making more Minecraft sets.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    woony2 said:

I really really don't get these, am I the only one?

No I don't either. The sets are cute but I see them as a little pointless. However I don't play Minecraft so maybe thats why. Everyone likes different things though so each to their own, I guess it's what makes the World interesting.

I am curious as to how the Lego/reseller/customer relationship will be with this one and if Lego will produce a sufficent supply this time. No doubt many people will buy a tonne in the hope it will be a repeat of the first set in terms of reselling. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego put a strict per customer restriction in place.
    I just noticed the Ghasts in the Nether set have upside down cheese slopes and a tile on top. Inverted white tile on top?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    ^ it is either that or they made the 2 x 2 plate with studs on both sides. So my guess is the tile.
    I'm kind of hoping for the 2x2 plate with studs on both sides :)
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    I am wondering if it will actually carry the "Cuusoo" logo on the box or not?
    icey117
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    iccarus said:

I'm kind of hoping for the 2x2 plate with studs on both sides :)

I'm sure that would please many MOCers. But when there are three possible pieces, and only one of them has previously been produced, Occam's razor suggests it's an inverted tile.

• kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 821
    Oh, I can't wait to pick these up, im also very glad that a cuusoo set has got a 'series', the microfigs look ace, the ghasts also appear to have been built upside down. :-D
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    Toyark has got photos of the boxes:

Adzbadboybassbison
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    Anyone asking about the Zombie: it is a plate too tall, LEGO used a brick rather than 2 plates on the body.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624

Toyark has got photos of the boxes:

O_O
    This should be next:
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    A desert or beach or swamp are prominant choices if these do well too.
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    Yay, they look awesome, I'm no minecraft fan but if they were cheap (which probably wont happen) I'd buy tons of these just for MOCs. But I doubt they will be cheap, so I'll most likely won't buy them.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    I don't really get them either, but I think they're neat. The first set in a green box, then tan, then red. Since the initial set was a great success I am sure these will be too!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,815
    The first set was a success for selling them as they seemed to be the thing to buy for Christmas.

But do they actually get played with or wanted by the people that were given them as presents? Knowing the answer to that may help understand whether these will be hits too.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,232
    There are some crazy Minecraft fans out there, and there are enough similarities between the two mediums that I think, given the popularity of the first, that these two will be popular as well.

Actually, I tend to think that a lot of Minecrafters in general are into LEGO, but maybe not all LEGO-ers are into Minecraft... purely speculation though, based on my group of hardcore gamer friends.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    CCC said:

The first set was a success for selling them as they seemed to be the thing to buy for Christmas.

But do they actually get played with or wanted by the people that were given them as presents? Knowing the answer to that may help understand whether these will be hits too.

I don't see what reason there is to be skeptical about that. They're essentially sets of basic parts, so if people don't enjoy playing with the set itself they can rebuild it into whatever they choose. Unless a kid is committed to the notion that a LEGO set is no fun without minifigures and action features, they should be able to get as much fun out of these as out of any other similarly-sized set. And surely a lot of Minecraft fans could enjoy these sets for the sheer novelty of them.

In general, LEGO Cuusoo seems to get a lot of skepticism of the "wait, are there actually people who will buy and enjoy this?" variety. And that's a bit understandable: a lot of Cuusoo sets are more niche than the average set by design. Of course, we AFOLs sometimes take this to mean that the supporters and buyers of these sets can't possibly be as serious about them as the fans of more mainstream sets and themes, and I think that is a bit unfair. Even if the audience for these sets isn't always the same audience that would typically buy a LEGO set, they can still legitimately enjoy it if it's the kind of set they've decided they're interested in.

I don't think the average parent is so out-of-touch that they'll buy a LEGO Minecraft set for a kid who has no interest in LEGO or Minecraft, and I don't think the sets are so hard to enjoy that a kid will need a deep commitment to either brand to see any value in them.
    edited July 2013
    @Aanchir, Lego Cuusoo sets tends to be collectors items rather playsets for young kids and brings new people to Lego like the Back to the Future fans from the 80's or Minecraft fans which both are huge fan communities!!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,815
    ^^ that's not quite what I meant. I wonder if they will do as well as last time - not just sell, but well above rrp. For that to happen, they have to be popular amongst people that love the game.

They could be parts packs, but are expensive at rrp, worse at double.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    edited July 2013
    CCC said:

^^ that's not quite what I meant. I wonder if they will do as well as last time - not just sell, but well above rrp. For that to happen, they have to be popular amongst people that love the game.

They could be parts packs, but are expensive at rrp, worse at double.

Oh, OK. I thought you meant "hits" just in the general sense of selling well and giving TLG a reasonable return on investment. You're right; they might not do as well as the first one. Though that does make me wonder what the size of the production runs for these will be. If it's a typical, small-scale production run like that for any other Cuusoo product, then it won't be hard at all for TLG to get a reasonable return on investment even if they don't exceed expectations the way the first one did. But if they increase the size to reflect the sales strength of the first one then there's a bit more risk involved.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    The Minecraft fanbase is massive, I can't see sales being a problem. I'd wager its bigger than for some other lego themes that have had far more invested in them in fact.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    I didn't give a damn about these sets before, not being interested at all in Minecraft. But looking at the sets more closely I'm actually starting to like them more and more. The colors and all those seemingly random placed bricks create a really interesting and unique aesthetic.
    edited August 2013
    I want to buy all three Minecraft sets but £104.97...

...I could buy something bigger...
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
    Anybody know if these are coming out anywhere other than US and Canada? They are on [email protected] for those two countries but no the rest of the world.

The press release didn't say it was North America only.

Was hoping to get these this month to get a mini Campervan.
  • hippoeaterhippoeater Member Posts: 30
    Kind of an odd process to place an order for these - so if anyone else has trouble - if you look in the "minecraft" section on "theme's" it will only show the micro forest - however if you just search minecraft in the search bar it will pull up the other 2 sets and allow you to add them to the cart! Just picked up mine! :D
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    martyn said:

Anybody know if these are coming out anywhere other than US and Canada? They are on [email protected] for those two countries but no the rest of the world.

The press release didn't say it was North America only.

Was hoping to get these this month to get a mini Campervan.

I'm in the UK and ordered both a few hours ago.
    I want all three Minecraft sets but £95 is too much money. The sets do deliver to me with the details in a small sized set.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    They had these out at Westfield SB, so I took the plunge on The Nether (I like lava, okay?). I've seen some people's comments on that set's excellent review by Huw about parts lists, thinking of you @maniac btw, here's a 300dpi scan I made of the parts page. Some very rare dark red 1x4 bricks that haven't been seen since 2005 there, and looks like a new colour for the 1x1 brick too!
    You may save it for your own use, hope people still on the fence find this useful.
    (btw, can't do the same for The Village, I didn't buy that one)
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 794

They had these out at Westfield SB, so I took the plunge on The Nether (I like lava, okay?). I've seen some people's comments on that set's excellent review by Huw about parts lists, thinking of you @maniac btw, here's a 300dpi scan I made of the parts page. Some very rare dark red 1x4 bricks that haven't been seen since 2005 there, and looks like a new colour for the 1x1 brick too!
    You may save it for your own use, hope people still on the fence find this useful.
    (btw, can't do the same for The Village, I didn't buy that one)

Nice one! I actually need dark red bricks for something i'm working on but the bright light yellow parts for the lava really get me interested too!

Thanks!