Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Vintage Lego 1975

Hi there,

I have stumbled across some very old lego sets dated back from 1975.

I bought a lot of lego from a lady for £10 and discovered that there were roughly 13/14 old style minifigures! Looking into it further and there are some sets in the bundle and i basically couldnt find any kind of information on the sets to determine their value or worth.

The bundle also had a few other sets in their from the early 90's with some funny looking robots with transparent heads. Anither set i belived to be the Anubis temple with car and hot air balloon. Not been able to see if its all their yet but will start assembling it all tonight....

Not bad for 10 bucks!

Any way if anyone can give me information on the vintage stuff that would be fantastic.

Thanks a bunch

Jimmy

Comments

• caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    edited July 2013
    Put the set numbers into an eBay completed listings search.

I am not a seller so am only commenting as a buyer here. Generally speaking they're not worth much. There's not a lot of interest in sets of that age. Which is good news for '70s collectors like me :0) meaning I can be picky - I usually only buy complete boxed sets with instructions, preferably in good condition. So you might struggle, depending what you have. But you should be able to make a tenner out of them at least!

By old minifigs do you mean maxifigs or stiffies? Maxifigs seem to do ok on eBay.
  • jimmynealjimmyneal Member Posts: 5
    Hello, already tried that :( It seems to me that no one has sold any of these in the UK before!

The minifigs are 4 pieces. Legs just a brick with feet, Torso with molded arms, head with no face and a cap or cowboy hat. In blue, red and black colours.

I didnt even know they existed before with me being 28yo!

Sets from this era surely must be very scarce and hard to come by if i cant find this on ebay?

edited July 2013
    OK, those are stiffies. I think they're freaking cool in a spooky way but admittedly they're tough to include in a MOC :O) They work well with those unprinted microfigs from Games though!

This article will supply some illumination on LEGO figs before minifigs, courtesy @drdavewatford. He also shows some of the really classic sets of the early/mid-70s there.

You can also check BL to see what people would *like* to be getting for these sets :O) although those listings are often with instructions and box.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited July 2013
    You can see a list of "stiffies" here
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=M&catID=277

A quick sample suggests they sell infrequently for £1-2 each, but this will be dependent on condition and scratches / teeth marks / etc.

The parts individually are typically only pennies. As @caperberry suggests, there may be a few collectors out there who are interested in the figures, if you can match up the full sets with instructions then maybe widens your audience a bit (but perhaps not much...)
    Is "stiffie" the technical term lol

OK so i have a few sets, no boxes, no instructions and would be lucky to get a tenner for something that seems very rare! What's your opinion on this actually being desirable to a collector? a fan? a memory to their childhood days?

US Ebay have listings with buy it now prices between $7-$12 each. Denmark Ebay have them going for Kr108 (roughly £10) each.

I think I'll test the water with stiffies, one of each colour and see what happens in the UK market. Although not an accurate valuation by any means and let you all know.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    jimmyneal said:

Anither set i belived to be the Anubis temple with car and hot air balloon.

@jimmyneal, that looks like the description of #5988
    Yep thats the one, building it tonight. Fingers crossed it's all there.

As I said not a bad bunch of lego for a tenner!

I have also some flying saucer space ship looking pieces (quite large quarters) that must go with them crazy robots I mentioned. Maybe explorien lego?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    If you have problem identifying parts or set, you can always post pictures in this thread. Once a part is identified, it is is easy to get the list of sets that have that part.

While time consuming, I fell that re-creating sets from of bunch of parts is always a fun experience.
    Yep, this is my second random mixed lot of lego in 3 months.

The other lot coming from a charity shop, around 15kgs of lego. 100 minifigs and loads of star wars sets!

Always on the lookout for a random bag of lego here!!!

Not afraid of buying brand new lego at all but this is much more fun :)
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    I like #5988 from that era!

Meant to post this earlier, but back to the stiffies, although they're "rare" or not common it's the balance of supply and demand - although supply is low demand is not high either.

I think Ebay will be your best place to get access to the sort of buyer you are hoping for. For collectors who use bricklink it'd be cheaper and relatively straightforward to piece together a figure because the individual parts are cheap (albeit some of the hairpieces / hats are a bit more expensive)

Just one word of warning which I'm sure you're already aware of but, on ebay.com, check the listings that have actually sold - on a quick glance I only saw 2, one a BIN with 4 figures (different colours) for $20 and one an auction with about 7-8 figures for $22. So whilst they're listed BIN at $7.49 each, I can't see any sold at this price and you then just pay fees to sit around for a while.

Good luck with it though, will be interesting to see what happens!
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 630
    jimmyneal said:

Yep thats the one, building it tonight. Fingers crossed it's all there.

As I said not a bad bunch of lego for a tenner!

I have also some flying saucer space ship looking pieces (quite large quarters) that must go with them crazy robots I mentioned. Maybe explorien lego?

The saucer shapes and "crazy robots" might be from the UFO line of Classic Space sets. Look up the "UFO" theme here on Brickset and see if those sets match your figures and pieces. IMO, those are some of the best-looking spaceships in LEGO...at the price of very large parts that have little utility for MOCing...

jimmyneal said:

Is "stiffie" the technical term lol

I'd avoid calling them stiffies on eBay :O) But on adult forums like this, I'd wager a single-entendre is to be highly encouraged.

Conversely, I wouldn't call them rare anywhere except eBay ;O)
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    I heard someone say "stiffies" and ran right over!
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 630
    ^I think all these sets are in the "Legoland" theme of sets here on Bricklink. 445 Police Units was one of my first-ever sets.