Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Working at a LEGO Brand Store

t123m1t123m1 Banned Posts: 13
edited July 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Hey Guys!

I've received a lot of messages lately about life working in a brand retail store. I was wondering if anybody else wanted to know more about what it's like to work for LEGO on the front line!

Unfortunately they're are some things I can't tell you due to LEGO regulations ect, but otherwise I am happy to inform you all about the goings on behind the scenes within LEGO Brand stores.

Go for it! Ask away.

Comments

• AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    Does every member of staff get to build a set for display, if so haw often??
  • t123m1t123m1 Banned Posts: 13
    Yes! Especially when I knew store opens, you get about 2-3. But if a new theme is coming out e.g Galaxy Squad. A maximum of 2-3 people take 1 set home.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,308
    The obvious one - what staff discount is available!

And more interestingly to me, what sort of freedom / autonomy does the store management have? For example, are you simply restocked from a central distribution centre, and you take what you're given? Or if, say, the staff know that in their particular catchment area, one line consistently outsells all others, can you order extra of that line?

And do you have any say over what the display models are, or do you get told, 'This week you will display sets x, y & z'?

Just wondered if TLG allow for creativity within their selling staff, or if they're expected to toe the party line at all times,
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 150
    Discounts, discounts, discounts!!!

But really, what are the discounts...
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 735
    @BooTheMightyHamster I worked at Legoland Windsor for a summer back before Merlin took over. As staff we were entitled to a 30% discount on all products.

This led to me taking walks from Wild Woods to the Big Shop and back just so I could buy and build something during lunch :)
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,308
    Ah, thanks! I work for John Lewis, and we get 25%, but JL don't always carry the full range.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The staff get 30% off, but are not allowed to resell them, and of course limited to the number of sets they can buy at discount.
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    I recently submitted an application to my local brand store, so I'm interested in whatever you can tell me about the interview process. Also: are there quotas to meet for upselling, VIP signups, etc.?
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    I've also heard that in addition to the 30% discount, 4 times a year the employees get a 50% discount. One of the staff that I talked to said that he saves up and just buys on those days. I would too if I worked there.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    there is also I believe an annual maximum discount amount - maybe $2000 ?

I know for certain that stores do not order their own stock outside of PAB generally - they get resupplied from the DC based upon inventory levels, sales, etc. Although I just heard today that there is a pilot program in some stores that allows the store to order inventory themselves and receive the order in 2-3 days, but the tradeoff is that their overflow storage is going to be eliminated or severely reduced.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    30% is not bad, especially for personal collections, but eventually you run into room issues if you can't (officially) resell.

As an aside, when my wife worked at Home Depot I was so excited about the discount she was certain to have. Guess what - nothing, nada, zilch. No employee discount. I think they are the only major retailer without one.
  • zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    What's more annoying: the young kids who make a mess at the PAB wall or the AFOLs who empty out the inventory of a certain PAB piece?
    tedwardflowerpotgirl
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    edited July 2013
    I got a few questions...but my editor would just ghost (verb) away my post. ;)
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,246

What's more annoying: the young kids who make a mess at the PAB wall or the AFOLs who empty out the inventory of a certain PAB piece?

How could cleanly selling all of something that is for sale be worse than sweeping the floor and sorting parts that kids mix together? If a PAB bin is empty you go to the back and get a box of something else and dump it in.

• GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 660
    edited July 2013
    How often do you get dumb questions like "Do you have that Mario set?" or "Can you make some trees for me? My son wants trees." I've heard both while shopping in a LBR.
    YellowcastleAdzbadboy
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    Going to our first Montly Mini build in August. Heard some buzz about line-ups and tickets numbers, and am not sure what to expect with 3 little kids. Any advice to make your job easier?
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    Does anyone know if the Lego head office staff also get a staff discount?
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    ^ I am sure they do. I do not know how much but I would imagine it would be the same as the store employees.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Gavin83 said:

There is an actual staff shop in Billund. You can go there if you attend the Inside Tour and I believe AFOLs also get to go if they attend the Skaerbaek fan convention in Denmark.

I didn't find any discounts of less than 33% in there! The largest discounts I found, for EOL sets, was 72%. If only Brand Store sales were like this...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,205

AFOLs have also been known to drop the odd piece too.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2013
    Gavin83 said:

Corporate staff (at least in the US) get to visit the onsite company store, which has new items at 50% off and anything damaged at 75% off. Usually the 75% off is nothing more than a smushed box, so it's a hell of a deal. No reselling, of course :)
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    streeker said:

Going to our first Montly Mini build in August. Heard some buzz about line-ups and tickets numbers, and am not sure what to expect with 3 little kids. Any advice to make your job easier?

I am not an employee so you might not appreciate my input. :-) I'll share my experience as a parent ( granted, we have attended only 3). Typically lines start 1 1/2 earlier, I have seen parents bring a blanket for kids to sit on, snack, book to read or any gadget they love to play with. Depending on how old your children are, make sure they have something to keep them entertained. Around 4.45 (15 min before the build) a store employee comes around with the tickets and hands them out to kids. If the build is a little complicated they don't allow kids under 6. There are 4-5 staff members doing the build so thats around 5 kids per person. So the line moves quickly, hope this helps.:-) Enjoy your first mini build.

That's a long post for me, pardon the rambling.

• jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    Do you really know when a set is going to retire?? I've read so many "so and so worker and so and so store told me so and so set was retiring". Do workers really have the inside scoop?
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    Anybody want to borrow my magic 8 ball?
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    edited July 2013
    ^^@EKsam, the 'rambling' is much appreciated! My kids are excited, my eardrums less so.