Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Old and new parts in 9675 Sebulba's Podracer & Tatooine?

paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,938
The 8 x 4587052 Plate 1X1 W. Holder inside my set of #9675 (Sebulba's Podracer & Tatooine) appear to be a mixture of the following two slightly-different parts:

There are 5 of the one of the left, and 3 of the one on the right. Is the part on the right merely an older version, or is it actually a different part?

Either way, it seems a bit sloppy to mix up the parts like this. They definitely don't look right next to each other when the set is built:

Comments

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    I had the exact same issue with mine, while I don't mind different mold, in the same set it looks sloppy..
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    I noticed this with mine to. I think the piece on the left is just a slightly redesigned version of the one on the right,I think its to make the clip stronger.Hope that helped.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    The clip has has many redesigns over the years. Bricklink lists four types.

Next thing you know, they'll be changing the colour of grey and mixing old and new in sets ;O)
    peterlinddk
  • peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    edited July 2013
    TLG usually doesn't "care" about mixing old and new parts - when they redesign a part, or rather a mold, they just keep producing parts, and throw them all in the same tub. Then when the parts are being sorted out into models, you can get some of one type and some of another. For most parts and most non-AFOLs the difference is neglible.

The a,b, and c designations are not official, they are just the AFOL-community making an effort to distinguish. TLG re-uses the design ID (the number) for redesigns. However, it seems that lately, some redesigned parts also gets new design IDs - I would show some examples, but suddenly I can't remember any :)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,938
    I had a feeling @caperberry would know about this! :)