Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Article on LEGO Fabuland

willkfwongwillkfwong Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 44
I came across this article today:
http://bensbargains.net/thecheckout/awesomeness/the-weirdness-that-is-lego-fabuland/

I have never been fortunate enough to see one of these in person. Maybe someday I will.
MinifigsMe

Comments

• Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,412
    I didn't know Fabuland was still popular. I have a bunch of figures from way back. They came out after I reached regular Lego age so they must have been my brother's. I'll have to add them to my Brickset inventory.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    I'd say it's those great figs that have gained them cult status over the years. I hated them (and Scala jewellery!) with a passion when they were first released when I was 9... now I fork out a little too much to get my hands on good Fabuland figs and Scala printed tiles :O(

You can find them pretty regularly on fleaBay, @willkfwong, but condition is usually poor and prices often inflated, so take your time looking.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    I still have some of my childhood Fabuland. I never had any big sets but I remember really loving them as a kid. Maybe because there was a character with my name - Lucy [Lamb] :-)

I still have some of my childhood Fabuland. I never had any big sets but I remember really loving them as a kid. Maybe because there was a character with my name - Lucy [Lamb] :-)

New nickname sorted.
    LostInTranslationflowerpotgirlMinifigsMeJessyDooDahcarlq
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    ^ lol OK, Tim Nice-But-Dim ;-)
    carlq
    The likeness is uncanny.

MinifigsMecarlq
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    I wonder how many of those figs were sorted out of bulk lots, and tossed, by people thinking they weren't Lego...?
    Certainly my best fleaBay bargains were the ones not listed with the word 'Fabuland'.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I love my fabuland, cant wait to play with it in a couple of years with Indy, seems a good in between duplo and system, and very girl friendly :)
    LostInTranslation
  • willkfwongwillkfwong Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 44
    Makes me wonder if Chima designers got inspirations from Fabuland figures.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,830
    Fabuland gets a surprising amount of respect among AFOLs. Perhaps it's partly just the sense of exclusivity of owning these old figures or the sense of irreverent irony in actually USING them as an adult MOCist.

I've always been a bit peeved at how Fabuland is often celebrated while Jack Stone and 4 Juniors are treated so differently. They're fundamentally the same thing — intermediate LEGO for kids who have "graduated" from Duplo but don't yet have the technical experience to feel comfortable with a standard LEGO kit. The only really significant difference is that Fabuland had cartoony animal characters while Jack Stone and 4 Juniors had human characters. But both existed in heavily stylized settings that were constructed from large, specialized parts.

Nevertheless, Fabuland is definitely an interesting segment of LEGO history, and not just on account of the sets. Fabuland was one of the LEGO Group's first forays into creating a media-driven intellectual property. It was perhaps not a fully-developed IP in the sense that BIONICLE was, but in addition to the picture books that served as the sets' instruction manuals, there were other picture books, audio stories, and videos created to tell stories around the theme's invented world and diverse characters.
    LostInTranslation
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 101
    mrseatle said:

I wonder how many of those figs were sorted out of bulk lots, and tossed, by people thinking they weren't Lego...?

Think this is what happened with my old Fabuland and Homemaker figs. Someone threw out the figs but kept the rest of the sets.

• PlellPlell Member Posts: 192

Makes me wonder if Chima designers got inspirations from Fabuland figures.

I like to think of Legends of Chima as a "gritty reboot" of Fabuland. Casts both themes in an interesting light...
    LostInTranslation
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    Sorry for random thread revival, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread and this was the closest I could find.

I just opened my #79010 Goblin King battle and noticed that a piece that looks like a cooking pot seemed to have a logo scratched off on the bottom - other than the normal Lego logo. Closer inspection it's a Fabuland logo. Seems TLG used a Fabuland mould, but just tried to remove the logo from the mould.
    Anyone else noticed this before?
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    ^ Not quite the same thing, but the #5571 Giant Truck Model Team set had a Fabuland shovel on the back because it's the right size. The Fabuland logo's proudly displayed too.... and this set was released a few years after Fabuland went (I think).
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 562
    @Shib I noticed the same thing on some pots from a few 2004 and 2005 Harry Potter sets
    That's an interesting part actually, I have been told about it. Indeed there are versions with poorly scratched out Fabuland text; additionally there are also versions that have Warner's copyright text on them - perhaps @SirBen has this version. The person who told me about this reckons this is the only time the copyright of another company has been included on a Lego part. Does anyone know of any others?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    I was actually a little surprised to see it more than anything else, it just looked a bit amateur, the word fabuland is still just about readable so if anything I would have said it was better to leave it on there - unless theres some copyright issue involved, though it's hard to imagine how that might be the case.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 562
    edited August 2014
    Sorry @caperberry, the pots I have are printed with either the Fabuland logo, or have "Fabuland" scrubbed and are printed with "(c)LEGO".