Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10197 Fire Brigade Instructions Misprint

LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
I bought this from [email protected] a few months ago and finally got around to opening it yesterday. I soon found that in the instructions some of the part call outs are missing numbers against a few of the parts. I'd say it is in the majority of steps. As this set has been out forever I figured it must have come up before, but I couldn't find a forum post for it (or even the4 same problem with other sets) so thought I'd start one (I'm not even sure if this is the correct category, so mods feel free to move it).

Has anyone else seen this? I'm surprised to see a manufacturing defect in such a 'mature' set (unless this one came out the back of an old cupboard!). Makes me wonder how many sets with the same error are sat in cupboards waiting to be resold to unsuspecting future modular addicts.

I figure I'll drop them an email and ask for a new book. It doesn't affect the build too much other than making it somewhat frustrating, but for a £100 set I'd have expected better.

Comments

• XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    I had it with my Fire Brigade set bought about 4 months ago so it's not just you. See also my thread about Tower of Orthanc instructions. I think quality control on Lego instructions is very lacking, even if it's near perfect on everything else.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,959
    More than half of the instructions for the Architecture sets had grammatical errors or typos in the text. Considering the price premium, I'd also expect a bit of proofreading on those.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    Sorry if this is slightly off posted topic but I was considering mentioning this before - I have a #10218 Pet Shop box with the wrong piece count printed on it - it says "1332 pieces" rather than the official part count (which is 2000+).

Not something I spotted immediately but I got hold of it in a slightly battered condition at a knock-down price from a Lego retail store. Again, maybe less than might be expected for what is supposed to be a £100+ set.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    luckyruss said:

Sorry if this is slightly off posted topic but I was considering mentioning this before - I have a #10218 Pet Shop box with the wrong piece count printed on it - it says "1332 pieces" rather than the official part count (which is 2000+).

Maybe it's a limited edition, without the townhouse half. ;)

luckyruss
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    ^ would be a new meaning for the word "limited" :)
    y2josh
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    Misprints in Lego instructions are infrequent, though not unheard-of. Obviously, it's a fairly tedious job going through instruction books and checking all the little callouts and pictures!
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,642
    I was surprised to see an error from the downloaded instructions for the CC, a full page for the 2nd floor is missing and can be found in the middle of the 3rd floor instructions.
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    Here is an example. I wonder how they print these to have such an odd error. Anyway, we'll see what CS says.

• hewmanhewman Member Posts: 90
    This error is at least a year old. I had much difficulty getting replacement instructions from shop at home and when I did they had all the same errors of missing call outs. From memory there were at least 50 cases of this.
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    @coloradobricks - I noticed the same error when I downloaded the cafe corner instructions too.
    I have two Fire Brigades, and have just checked the instructions - one set has no errors, but the other contains the mistakes described above. Comparing the two sets of instructions, on the very back page where the copyright notice is, I see two different reference numbers. On the correct instructions the number is 4565201. On the booklet with the mistakes there are two numbers - 4565201/4657774. Not sure if this is relevant, but that is the only difference I see between the two sets of booklets.
    I only see mistakes in book 1 of the instructions - is this your experience too?
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    Well I sent my email to CS yesterday afternoon and had a reply waiting for me first thing this morning telling me new instructions were already on their way from Billund. I have always been impressed by other stories of great Lego CS and now I have my own :-)