Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Will Bionicle ever be worth anything?

peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
Okay, maybe this has already been discussed in the enormous "predictions of secondary market value"-thread, but that seems to have grown into a debate about everything else.

It seems to me that there is somewhat of a pattern to the price you can sell a used set for. Newer sets can seldom bring in more than 50% of retail price, unless they are very rare.
Sets that are a few years old seem entirely unsellable.
Sets that are 10 years old, can be sold for a good price, but it takes time to find the right buyer.
Even older sets can bring in quite a lot, provided they are complete and in good condition

I would pay more for a set from my LEGO-youth, than for a set from my dark ages - and I think this is a common pattern.

So my question is: will Bionicle be worth buying for those (future) AFOLs who remember it fondly from their childhood, or will it always be this box of unusable and unsellable parts, I'll have sitting in my cellar?

Comments

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,027
    Short answer, no. Long answer, no.
    andhevitreolumpeterlinddkbricknationYellowcastleLegoMom1
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,921
    It depends on what kind of audience you're trying to sell it to. BIONICLE fans, particularly BIONICLE MOCists, will likely pay a significant amount of money for BIONICLE sets or parts that are in good condition. Currently, it may be hard to get as much money for that theme as the sets would have cost originally, but I think after there are no longer so many people flooding the market with BIONICLE sets from their childhoods, there's a good chance some AFOLs may pay higher prices for BIONICLE sets and parts.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    Right now, you might be better off selling the stuff in bulk, but you won't get anything like $10 a pound for it.

But, of course, things, no matter how, erm, unpopular, they may seem, if demand outstrips supply, of course it's price will increase. Just look at discountinued Hero Factory on eBay. Low demand, but even lower supply, which is why prices for it are skyrocketing.

I'm gonna get a load of stick for saying that from those AFOL's who just can't stand Bionicle now (but please don't leave comments with negative vibes referring to this post, please, I'm touchy about this subject). It's totally normal to dislike a theme, even I have themes I don't like, Friends to name a recent example. But I think all themes should be treated with at least a sliver of respect. Bionicle? Okay, AFOL's might not like it, and I completely understand why ('not like normal Lego' and whatnot), but it did one very important thing, along with Star Wars, back at the turn of the century. It saved Lego's bacon. If it weren't for this theme, Lego might not have existed today. I didn't say 'will', I said 'might', as it's just an assumption.

I'm in no way defending Bionicle (I'm not into it anymore, but I grew up with it as a kid), but I'm just stating my own feelings on it. Just my 2 cents on the matter ;-)
  • peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    edited July 2013
    prof1515 said:

If you're looking to do some landscaping and want a non-biodegradable filler that's cheap and looks best when buried beneath dirt and out of sight, Bionicle is perfect for the job.

Hehe :) Actually, several houses in Billund have old discarded LEGO-molds as part of their foundation. Back in the day, LEGO found it easier to "just throw them in with the concrete" than destroying them completely. I guess my next house could have some old Bionicle and Jack Stone pieces in the foundation as well :)

But, also to calm @TheOneVeyronian, I actually think that many of the Bionicle figures are quite cool. I was never into the theme myself, but I do know that a lot of kids was really into the whole universe - and when they get back from their dark-age, maybe???
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,027
    I have a box of Bionicle stuff that is given away once it gets full. I pull out a few interesting pieces ever now and then.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    If I'm out and I fint a Bionicle/HF set on sale really cheap I will pick it up. Sometimes there are pices that look like they could be neat to use in a MOC. I currently only have 4 sets in my collection .... I have 2 #2283 Witch Doctor.... 1 #6230 and 1 #6203 Black Phantom . After reading this discussion I figured I would do a quick check and see what those sets are selling for. I was blown away when I checked #6203 and found that its going for $50+ on Ebay....and selling on a regular basis. So someone out there is buying them.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I get the jokes, and I am not a fan of Bionicle or Hero Factory - at all, but I can see the appeal, certainly for the younger fans. Could we try to show a little solidarity for our fellow Lego fans and perhaps refrain from the insulting stuff? I'm sure there are people out there that have zero interest in Lego trains, but I wouldn't appreciate those people suggesting I use my Emerald Night for mulch.
    Aanchirtrickydicky0880caperberry
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited July 2013
    Refrain from insulting stuff? Seriously? Insulting people I can understand but crappy plastic toys? If the Bionicle itself doesn't start crying, it's not an issue because it's just a bunch of ABS.

Besides, Galidor makes much better mulch.
    91stlegotrooper
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    It's more like insulting someone's taste or preference for a given sub-topic. For example:

If this were a Trekker forum where everyone thinks the franchise as a whole was the bees knees, but also majority of folks don't care for the Deep Space 9 series. Then 1 member says its not so bad, only to have others reply with "Cisco should never have been born." "DS9 is useless so should be jettisoned into a distant nebula and forgotten... Forever." "Only redeeming quality of that series was 7 of 9, rest is Farengi ear wax."

Bionicle is certainly not Lego at its best but it is still Lego nonetheless. Compatible parts with all else and can be very useful for MOCcers creative enough to utilize them in unique ways.

In the end, it's just opinion or preference. But how we deliver ours does make a difference to others reading and receiving of it.
    TheLoneTensorTheOneVeyroniancaperberryJeffH
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    [sarcasm] I'm insulted. DS9's captain's name was Sisko and 7 of 9 was from Voyager. [/sarcasm]
    legocrazy1234Yellowcastle
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    So what's next, why headlight bricks are crap compared to 1x1 modified bricks with stud on side?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Actually, there's already a thread for that from about a year ago. Something along the lines of "redundant parts" like why we need a double-cheese slope when you can just use 2. And yes headlight bricks were brought up :)

@lordzarak : "Doh!" Caught me with my pants down and torpedoes out! In my defense, I'm not good with names and a fond admirer of 7 :Hubba hubba:
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    I had couple of childhood friends who were crazy into Bionicle back in the early 00s. But the fact is that unlike me, none of them were "proper" LEGO fans. They weren't interested in anything LEGO-related besides Bionicle, in my understanding they viewed them more as action figures than LEGO. What I'm trying to say is that a big part of Bionicle fans (I'm not saying all..) aren't interested in other parts of LEGO. They would maybe like to keep them, but I don't see them buying any sets for just sake of nostalgia. AFOL are usually those who are interested in building and displaying LEGO rather than playing. Bionicle was invented mainly for kids who are interested in playing factor and not so much in building since there aren't that many options to build whatever you like from Bionicle pieces. I just don't feel like this would be the hit among the future AFOLs. Sure some of them will be buying them, but it would be rather rare to see that, in my opinion.
    peterlinddk
  • 1x11x1 Member Posts: 136
    #8998 always sells well even loose.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    ^ That set EOL'ed very quickly according to Brickset. Timeframe comparable to that of Zombies I guess. Explains the 'sell well' factor certainly.

I had that set (not now, I sold it a few years ago). I liked the way the hands were built so you could pose the hand, going right to knuckle joints, and it could hold weapons too. Technique hasn't been seen before or since.
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    DS9 rocked but nothing compared to TNG.
    PlellBrickDancer

It's more like insulting someone's taste or preference for a given sub-topic...Bionicle is certainly not Lego at its best but it is still Lego nonetheless. Compatible parts with all else and can be very useful for MOCcers creative enough to utilize them in unique ways.

In the end, it's just opinion or preference. But how we deliver ours does make a difference to others reading and receiving of it.

In the end it's a plastic toy. I hold no allegiance or loyalty to companies or products. I'm not one to blindly worship much of anything else either which is why I'm an atheist. If someone criticizes Lego, I'm happy to join in the discussion because there's plenty about it to criticize. Bionicle sucked. Galidor was even worse. Lego's not sacred and off-limits to criticism from me or anyone else. Same goes for Star Trek. I certainly don't take offense for someone calling "The Way To Eden" a crappy episode, a frequent characteristic of the entire third season. It was horrible. These things are true about pretty much everything and it's a sign of maturity to recognize that.

One of the annoying things about the kiddies over at other Lego forums is their ignorant, blind worship of anything the company produces or does. Same goes for demonization of MegaBloks and other such nonsense. There are things in the world to take offense at which are worthy of that emotion. Insulting someone's taste in plastic toys isn't one of them.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2013
    ^It's a matter of empathy and personal respect. If you don't want to give a crap about other peoples' feelings, and even worse, further argue your right to not give a crap about other peoples' feelings, there's not much I or anyone else can do to help you.
    oldtodd33Thanos75caperberrylegofeetJeffH
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,578
    He just doesn't get it, does he?
  • charlatan13charlatan13 Member Posts: 118
    All I know is that I saw a gorgeous black dragon made out of Bionicle parts at Brickworld Chicago (still kicking myself for not taking a picture of it). I can appreciate artistry and imagination and the builder definitely created something beautiful and unique out of various 'parts'. I would also hope that those members who enjoy it continue to point out the merits, history and what makes it enjoyable for them since I appreciate learning about such things and all the possibilities.
    edited July 2013
    tensor said:

^It's a matter of empathy and personal respect. If you don't want to give a crap about other peoples' feelings, and even worse, further argue your right to not give a crap about other peoples' feelings, there's not much I or anyone else can do to help you.

Empathy? Personal respect? You have got to be kidding me. I thought this forum had an age limit.

"Prof's being mean because he didn't like my toys!"
    trickydicky0880
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 585
    I think it depends on the pieces in the set being called "Bionicle." I was very pleased recently to pick up a #8996 Skopio XV-1 with bag 1 missing and the remaining parts sealed in their factory bags for $5 at a local thrift store. Bag 1 was only the figure, and most of the remaining parts in the set were Technic pieces. So perhaps the best answer to the question is those with rare system parts ( #8893 Lava Chamber Gate) or a significant amount of Technic pieces are worth something based on those pieces and will continue to be worth something.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,003
    The question posed was, "Will Bionicle ever be worth anything?"

Firstly, we generally discourage individual threads requesting predictions on how a specific set or theme will do in the secondary market. It is all conjecture and quickly submerges the Forum in a lake of reselling threads which ends up suffocating the other topics. The predictions thread caters to this subject while letting the Forum otherwise breathe freely. And it's a blast to look back in time and see how wrong we were or how right winter zombie might have been. :o)

As for the somewhat disparaging comments on the theme, I think it's completely on point to discuss the AFOL opinion on the quality of the sets when trying to ascertain aftermarket expectations. Additionally, I can't see how my appreciation for a theme can be affected by others' opinions. I just adore all of the LotR sets and think all of you haters are just bat poop crazy, even super Tolkien fans like y2chrome. :o). And dont get me started on the supremely brilliant minifigure scale Tantive IV!

Aldso, my love of these sets is much more important to me than what they'll be worth for my 401k.

Lastly, the comments were pretty darn funny and I, for one, could use a few more laughs these days.

What we really need is a thread titled, "Why do AFOLs hate Bionidor Factory?". I would love to explore all the ways these sets just don't work for us. And alternatively, exploring why we SHOULD love them as they subsidize the amazing direct sets.
    Schwallex
    edited July 2013
    Ugh... I refrained from checking this topic for a couple weeks and am quickly reminded just why I avoided joining Brickset for so long. So much condescension, hatred, and pretentiousness, though mostly condensed in one member's posts. Thank goodness the other people commenting here seem to be a little more civilized.

I will admit, I'm a BIONICLE fan. I will also admit BIONICLE had flaws. I will readily admit that it was far from "traditional" in its building style, part design, and subject matter. With that said, BIONICLE was a big and meaningful part of my childhood. Even today, Hero Factory is probably tied with Ninjago as my favorite theme, because I feel it's made amazing strides in action figure building.

Yes, Brickset forums have an age restriction, but as such I'd have expected members to act their age, not throw around juvenile insults at anything and everything they happen to dislike. What if someone posted a topic with pictures of a bonfire they created to destroy a bunch of MISB Classic Space sets? It doesn't technically break any Brickset rules as far as I know (it WOULD be a LEGO-related discussion, after all), but can't we all agree that would be crossing the line? Well, I feel the same way about the kinds of comments I'm seeing about BIONICLE here.

BIONICLE fans are just as much LEGO fans as any other person who specializes in a particular theme. They don't have to like other themes to be legitimate LEGO fans. Even if they like the sets as action figures rather than for their building potential, how is that any different from a LEGO collector who buys sets for display rather than to play and build with them? Insisting there's just one right way to enjoy a LEGO set is downright pretentious and does a disservice to many LEGO fans.

I'm not saying this as a way of blindly worshipping everything LEGO does. But I would have to be a particularly dogmatic LEGO worshipper if I were going to declare something LEGO does to be garbage just because it didn't fit my narrow definition of a LEGO set. Similarly, I wouldn't call non-LEGO dolls, action figures, or other toys garbage. It's just juvenile to insult things like that just because I have no personal interest in them. They've never done me any harm, and there are plenty of people who enjoy them for perfectly legitimate reasons.

Adult LEGO fans have feelings too, and being an adult means showing a little bit of sensitivity to other people's feelings rather than just throwing around inflammatory remarks. I'm 22 years old and part of the reason I'm still a LEGO fan today is because the LEGO community has long been a niche where I've felt welcome. But apparently respecting and accepting other people's interests is a concept some LEGO fans have never learned.
    TheOneVeyroniancaperberrytrickydicky0880bluemodernjuggles7sandtherapy
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,054
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 594
    Will BIONICLE ever be worth anything? Will BIONICLE ever be worth anything???

Goodness, guys, BIONICLE is worth a lot of somethings NOW.

A set named "Tuma" originally retailed for $20. Now you'd be lucky to find one on eBay (MISB) for at least double that price. That set came out in 2009, BIONICLE's last full year of release (the 2010 wave was a pitiful whimper).

I will tell you right now, the stuff from BIONICLE's first three years is worth a lot. If you own any of the Technic Rahi sets from 2001, and they are complete, you could sell them now for good money (i.e. well above the MSRP, which for all the Rahi was pretty high back in 2001). In 2002, gems like the Exo-Toa and the Bahrag twins, Cahdok and Gahdok, were released, and today fetch high prices on eBay. I waited and waited to find a cheap, MISB copy of Cahdok and Gahdok for years, but I eventually had to cave in and muscle my way to winning an auction for an "opened box, sealed bags inside" copy for $90. That was in 2009, and the set sold originally for $60. Sealed copies were going for much more back then. I can only imagine what it is like now.

Then you have to take the collectability side of BIONICLE into account. Long before many of you were feeling up CMF bags, some of us were rattling BIONICLE mask packs (or feeling up mask bags in Europe) to find that one Kanohi we still needed to complete our Toa's suva. The masks of power (followed by the Krana brains, Kraata "slugs", and Kanoka disks) were randomly packaged in small sets of two or three, and in order to get a complete set, you had to buy a lot of packs. The original Toa, for example, had 36 masks. Their Turaga chieftains had 36 as well, bringing the total up to 72. Plus, there were "mystery" or one-off masks found in the Rahi sets and in promotional giveaways. These full collections are worth quite a bit, especially to the owners who went through all the trouble to get them (I know I sure did for my Kanohi Nuva and Turaga Kanohi collections!). Individually, certain items like the orange Vahi mask of Time, the white metal Krana Kal, or the Kanoka of Time can fetch good prices, too.

It goes without saying at this point, though, that I love BIONICLE. My teenage years were defined in part by it, and it really is a great theme that, bias aside, has already shown its true worth to those who would lambast it out of disdain for anything that isn't "true" Lego. Do some research, and maybe even play with some of the sets and their pieces, and it will occur to you very quickly that this theme will one long remembered and long-sought after.
    AanchirTheOneVeyronianpeterlinddkcaperberryPeppersandtherapy
  • SchwallexSchwallex Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2013
    Hello, my name is M. Night Shyamalan and I have a story for you.

So there is that giant West European company that produces toys for boys. Literally billions of Euros in revenue. Huge.

They have a plant in the Czech Republic, and are working on one in China, but for all intents and purposes we can say they're West European. Also, while their core audience are German boys, they don't mind selling stuff to Canadian boys as well. Or Australian boys. Or American retirees, for that matter (some of whom don't think of the products as toys at all).

They have that one core product, that goes by the same name as the company itself, and within it they have like three product lines that have been successful for decades. But that is not enough. The folks at that company like money so much that they specifically develop and market all kinds of completely different products for completely different audiences. They even have pastel colors for girls. Yes, girls.

Now, getting a lot of money is one thing, but they also like saving a lot of money. So what they do is they ensure that all their different lines of products are still sort of compatible with one another. They have what they call a "system" of parts, and they try to re-use them as much as possible. If you buy two products from completely different lines, different countries, and even different decades, certain parts will be completely different, but you can be sure that many parts will be absolutely identical. Neat, huh.

In fact, sometimes they will even have entire product lines for people who are willing to pay four times the price for the exact same parts in the exact same colors available elsewhere for a few kopeks. They will literally sell you the exact same product, in a more fancy package, for four times the price. Not because they are evil, but because they can. They are a business.

[Spoiler alert]

And the name of that company is Volkswagen. And their core product is Volkswagen. And the three product lines that have been successful for decades are Golf, Passat, and Beetle. But they also make Audis, and Bentleys, and Škodas, and Lamborghinis, and Scanias, and Bugattis, and SEATs, and Porsches, and gee I really can't keep track of it all, that's really just the tip of the iceberg, but you get the idea.

Now here's the actual story I'm telling. One fine day, a huge Škoda fan walked into a Volkswagen forum and wondered aloud, "Do you think my Škoda will ever be worth anything?" And someone answered, "Sorry, no. Of course it's like 50% the same parts as a Volkswagen, and even 10% the same parts as a Lamborghini, but those other funky parts you have there -- you can't really use them for anything other than a Škoda". And the Škoda fan was like, "Oh well. Tough luck. I guess I figured as much. Thanks anyway." And nobody was offended in the least, for what was spoken was the truth.

Then, out of nowhere, a third guy appeared and went like, "I have six Bentleys in my garage, but I would never buy a SEAT." Mmmmkay. The other two guys shrugged. And once again not a single person on the entire planet was surprised, much less offended.

But then Aanchir walked in, and declared: "You are all so mean to each other! Do quit at once. I am 22 years old and I think we should all be friends. Whether you are cruising around in a Porsche or a Scania truck; or being driven around in a Bentley; or lying in a puddle of oil modding your Bugatti; or paying someone else to lie in a puddle of oil modding your Lamborghini; or collecting Audi keychains — we are all the same on the inside! World peace! Political correctness! Here's to you, my fellow adult fans of Volkswagen!"

And thus it occurred that Aanchir was the only person to offend absolutely everyone at once.

Meanwhile The Volkswagen Group carried on making money off of every last one of them, and didn't give a rat's tail about who considered whom a real what.

The end.

IMDb rating: 5.3
    Rotten Tomatoes: 24% (critics), 69% (audience)

P.S.: the moral of the story, for those who need one. If the original question is, "Will Bionicle ever be worth anything?", and you get one answer that says "I love Bionicle", and another answer that says "Heck, Bionicle is worth something now, here are a few examples for your convenience", and then you get 98 answers that say "Bionicle is a steaming pile of bricks and I am offended by the very thought it was produced by the same company as my precious Belville", then all these answers are actually helpful. They are 100 equally useful data points.

If instead you only had the two data points from Bionicle lovers, but all the haters kept silent for reasons of faux political correctness, now that would be awfully unhelpful and misleading.

Peace out.
    margotjimmyp1982rocaoLegoFanTexasThanos75
    edited July 2013
    ^ You make a very valid point, not least because of the Volkswagen example which I'm very familiar with, being a car nut. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Okay, so I think that the people who say "this and that is only worth so much as bonfire fuel" are being a little extreme, isn't it perfectly fine to just say "I hate Bionicle" instead without being too graphic? Of course, that's all IMHO.

But as I may have said before, isn't there a big difference between liking a theme and respecting a theme? Sure, people who hate Bionicle overall as a theme might also say "But I also respect the theme since it saved Lego on the whole and is one of Lego's most popular IP's with kids". My own example would be "I really don't like Friends as a theme, but respect it all the same due to the fact it sells well and has unique part colours"

And of course, the answer to the initial question is "Well, Bionicle on the whole is not worth as much as a pile of System bricks of the same weight. And the sets, on the whole, are not worth as much either, especially when 99.9% of them have been opened. But undoubtedly there are some anomalies, particularly ones from later years that may have EOL'ed early. Especially talking about certain larger sets, including Tuma and Toa Mata Nui from 2009 as some others have mentioned on this thread".

I used to love Bionicle throughout my teenage years, which is why I'm probably coming across as all defensive and for that I apologise, but nowadays my own focus has shifted more towards System. I find Bionicle perhaps a little 'clunky' for my purposes nowadays imo, I now prefer to work with HF for my action figures and photography hobby. But it still has a place in my Lego heart.

I'm only 19, a lot of AFOL Bionicle fans appear to be the younger AFOL's who had the stuff in their teenage years, but please do correct me if this assumption is wrong ;-)

And it goes without saying, all of the above is my own honest personal opinion for others to read and enjoy. I'm just hoping everyone takes this statement lightly, Bionicle fan or not ;-) I should add that I'm also offended quite easily, and for that I also apologise ;-)
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    I remember seeing Bionicle sets in Woolworths while I was at uni (over a decade ago). Just seeing them made me think that Lego had "gone all wrong" to such an extent that I assumed all new Lego was going to be like that, hence I lost interest in it.

Thinking about it, I probably came out of my dark ages around the time Woolworths went bust :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    So is there a market for the set of six Barraki stickers that came with Merlin's Premier League? I'm sure I have a few sets somewhere...

Maybe for the subset of lego collectors that collect Bionicle, and the subset of those that also collect Barraki, and the subset of those that also collect stickers.
  • peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    My goodness me, what have I started :)

I have never disliked Bionicle, it happened during the darkest years in my dark age, and even though I was aware of the theme, I didn't really care for it - action figures and a complex storyline with films and comics - that was entertainment for kids! (which it actually was! And great entertainment as I have later come to understand).

I think that I had much the same view of Bionicle, that many non-AFOLs have of all LEGO-sets produced after their childhood: (said in a grumpy-old-man voice) "Well, all of todays LEGOsets are just complicated parts that you snap together - not like back in my days, where you actually had to be creative, and only had normal bricks, and ... "
    At first glance the Bionicle bricks - or elements if you prefer - look very different from classic LEGO-bricks. This, however, is mainly because they are based on technic-beams with holes, rather than bricks with studs. I am afraid that this single fact has enabled a lot of people to declare Bionicle as "Not real LEGO" - whatever that means.

My own experience with Bionicle has been from some mixed collections I have bought - since the Bionicle-sets didn't mean much to me, nostalgia-wise, I wanted to sell them, but found that the market wasn't really interessted in them.

This thread has, however, given me some answers - Bionicle fans are much younger than most AFOLs. Those kids who loved and collected Bionicle, have only recently entered their dark age, and are not at all interessted in buying old sets. But they probably will be!

A lot of AFOLs are currently paying a lot of money for a LEGO-version of a car from a film they saw 28 years ago. I am confident that nostalgia will also hit the Bionicle-generation, and when they are thirty-somethings, they will pay top-dollar for the few sets still out there (that hasn't been used as landfills or kindling.)

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,003
    I think I need more time to process the recent comments above but they really were great. I would love to participate in a Bionicle discussion about it's role in LEGO history and the love/hate relationship fans seem to have and why. I could not, however, care less if Bionicle held any value in the aftermarket.
    plasmodiumTheOneVeyronian
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,942
    So, interesting thing for the guys who are trampling on Bionicle: it was a kid's toy. Designed to appeal to kids. Not to big grown ups like you.

Sure, there's a subset of Lego collectors and/or action figure collectors who are interested in them (and/or a group of people who are vaguely nostalgic about them from their childhood), and you can ridicule them all you want for collecting kid's action figures.

But your mere presence here also means that you are a collector of Lego. Another toy. Designed for kids. So go easy on them, ok?

Like @schwallex said, all your opinions are valid. That's what a forum is for. Everyone expressing their opinions. But @Aanchir also said we should respect each other's opinions. Because if you don't respect their opinion, then they don't respect your opinion, and then the opinions lose their value, and so too does the forum.

So basically, don't be uber-PC and say nothing, because then the forum loses it's value from lack of input. And don't go OTT insulting people (or OTT victim-complex-feeling-insulted), because then the forum loses it's value through lack of respect.

trickydicky0880
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 594
    I forgot to mention in my first post that I am STILL looking for one of the original Kanohi masks released in 2001, a black Kakama (the Great Mask of Speed that comes with Pohatu, though this particular Kakama would be worn by Onua). The image I attached shows my current collection, and the yellow-orange ring shows where the missing mask would go.
    It is the only mask missing from my collection, and I can never find it on eBay (just the Nuva version). If anyone has one in great condition, PM me and we can work out a deal.

[On topic] That BIONICLE mask is worth a lot to me!
    sandtherapy
    Have to say, I agree with @yellowcastle, a discussion relating to Bionicle would be extremely interesting. And I also agree with what @plasmodium says too. In fact, I agree with a lot of you.

Because, after all, before I became a Brickset member, I was on Lego's own message boards, which is frequented by KFOL's and TFOL's. And when Bionicle stopped in 2010 and replaced by Hero Factory, many of those kids and teens got very disappointed by Lego's decision to do that, so much so that they would often slate Hero Factory in favour of Bionicle, for reasons like 'more challenging builds' and 'better storyline'. I've seen it myself, it even continues to the present day when Bionicle is now long gone and Hero Factory is in full strength. But the relationship between Bionicle and HF is another discussion entirely.

Plus, whether you love or hate it, you can take a look at BrickLink member's favourite themes (maybe Brickset needs this feature!), and Bionicle almost definitely frequents the top ten chosen. Take a look at it here: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogThemes.asp
    Would be interesting to see an age demographic for these stats though to see if Bionicle really is a young AFOL's thing.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439
    Aanchir said:

Thank goodness the other people commenting here seem to be a little more civilized.

Nobody offended you personally, just the product line you love. If a toy theme can even be offended at all.

The only offensive comment towards other forum members in this thread is the one above from you. So those who are ridiculing Bionicle are uncivilized while those who criticize it more mildly are a 'LITTLE more civilized'? Gee, thanks.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Schwallex said:

The critics were unjustly harsh. This story was easily your 2nd best work behind Sixth Sense, and maybe even eclipsed it. At least the audience seems to recognize this.

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    rocao said:

Schwallex said:

The critics were unjustly harsh. This story was easily your 2nd best work behind Sixth Sense, and maybe even eclipsed it. At least the audience seems to recognize this.

Wouldn't an IMDb rating of 5.3 and a Rotten Tomatoes score of 24% BE his 2nd best work? I mean, not much competition there...Unbreakable? More like Unwatchable. And don't even get me started on that terrible Airbender movie that essentially threw everything that was good about the Nick series out the window.

Anyway, back on topic...I find many of the comments in this thread incredibly amusing. As an AFOL, I agree that Bionicle/Galidor/Hero Factory is not targeted to me in the least...but I will stop short of calling the entire genre garbage, as others DO like it. I honestly couldn't tell you what the market will be like for the theme 5-10 years from now. I'm sure very few people predicted the skyrocketing prices for many of the sets that are big bucks today.
  • MatLong6MatLong6 Guest Posts: 3
    I hope bionicles will be.
    I'm selling some here - - -> http://www.bangitsgone.com/shop.php?name=matthews-legos-and-more&user_id=100201
    Schwallex said:

P.S.: the moral of the story, for those who need one. If the original question is, "Will Bionicle ever be worth anything?", and you get one answer that says "I love Bionicle", and another answer that says "Heck, Bionicle is worth something now, here are a few examples for your convenience", and then you get 98 answers that say "Bionicle is a steaming pile of bricks and I am offended by the very thought it was produced by the same company as my precious Belville", then all these answers are actually helpful. They are 100 equally useful data points.

If instead you only had the two data points from Bionicle lovers, but all the haters kept silent for reasons of faux political correctness, now that would be awfully unhelpful and misleading.

Peace out.

There's nothing wrong with being honest about not liking BIONICLE, or not thinking it will appreciate in value. Saying it in a rude and tactless fashion is another matter entirely.

As I said in my post, BIONICLE had some very legitimate flaws. But it's important to a lot of people for reasons that are just as legitimate. I'm not trying to preach political correctness or telling people only what they want to hear. I'm just suggesting that as grown-ups we could afford to be a little more considerate. Suggesting that a toy is worthless, or that anyone who takes offense at that kind of comment is childish, is not that.

In the LEGO community we often seem to get a little preoccupied with what fits our personal definitions of LEGO. Anything that doesn't fit that definition is perceived as crappy or worthless. But I think if we look at BIONICLE not as a LEGO theme, but just as a really successful toy, we might see a bit of a different picture. Plenty of vintage action figures and dolls that don't remotely function as building toys (Transformers, Barbie, etc.) have a ridiculous amount of collectors' value in this day and age. So do the old 1:87 cars that LEGO used to include in some sets, even though they are not buildable nor in any way intercompatible with regular LEGO bricks. Even Fabuland, a theme aimed at an audience of preschoolers with lots of highly-specialized parts and goofy stories, sells for a substantial amount of money online. So why would BIONICLE not be the same once a lot of BIONICLE fans hit their mid-life crisis and start seeking to get back in touch with their childhoods?

This applies to current toys as well, by the way. A toy line doesn't necessarily have to appeal to fans of traditional LEGO to be successful or to have any value. If it did, then there wouldn't be any company selling toys OTHER than building toys. But as it is, there are plenty of reasons to buy a toy other than its usefulness as a building toy. In BIONICLE's case, one of its strongest assets was an engaging multimedia storyline. The fact that the LEGO Group has followed up on that tradition with themes like Ninjago suggests that a certain audience appreciates that sort of thing.
    icey117
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited July 2013
    natro220 said:

Wouldn't an IMDb rating of 5.3 and a Rotten Tomatoes score of 24% BE his 2nd best work? I mean, not much competition there...Unbreakable? More like Unwatchable. And don't even get me started on that terrible Airbender movie that essentially threw everything that was good about the Nick series out the window.

Actually, he has 8 movies with higher IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes ratings. That's why I said the critics were harsh :P
    edited July 2013
    Alas, the critics collectively missed the actual twist: I am not really M. Night Shyamalan.

(To ensure that this post is still on topic: Bionicle.)
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    My answer is 'no.' I could be wrong of course, in which case, the answer would be 'yes.'
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Schwallex said:

If the original question is, "Will Bionicle ever be worth anything?", and you get one answer that says "I love Bionicle", and another answer that says "Heck, Bionicle is worth something now, here are a few examples for your convenience", and then you get 98 answers that say "Bionicle is a steaming pile of bricks and I am offended by the very thought it was produced by the same company as my precious Belville", then all these answers are actually helpful. They are 100 equally useful data points.

Depends if the OP was after quantitative or qualitative data. Given he obviously only asked the question because distaste for Bionicle amongst AFOLs is high, I assume he was after the latter.
    Schwallex said:

But then Aanchir walked in, and declared: "You are all so mean to each other! Do quit at once. I am 22 years old and I think we should all be friends.

Wow. You really know how to put the A into AFOL with your bullying humour.

Firstly, we generally discourage individual threads requesting predictions on how a specific set or theme will do in the secondary market. It is all conjecture and quickly submerges the Forum in a lake of reselling threads which ends up suffocating the other topics. The predictions thread caters to this subject while letting the Forum otherwise breathe freely.

+1 for free breathing
    edited July 2013

Haha, fair enough.

Depends if the OP was after quantitative or qualitative data. Given he obviously only asked the question because distaste for Bionicle amongst AFOLs is high, I assume he was after the latter.

Of course. But again, the thing is, in that case he'll get way better data by asking on a dedicated Škoda forum, rather than on a general-purpose VW one.

And for the record: I do own a couple Bionicle sets — including Axalara T9, the fourth biggest ever produced —, and I have almost all the loose parts needed for the two biggest ones, Skopio XV-1 and the Battle of Metru Nui , so it's not like I'm an entirely unqualified hater who's only here to hate. Quite the opposite, in fact: as a parts collector, I simply do not have the luxury to steer clear of any product line, be it Technic, Belville, Bionicle, Friends, Chima, Znap, or that stupid Star Wars.

Anyway, I think the most important point on this whole page right now is @peterlinddk's: Bionicle fans haven't left their Dark Age just yet. What will happen once they do, is anybody's guess.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,686
    I'm sure this is worth something but I will never sell it:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=8940-1
    sandtherapy
    Schwallex said:

Haha, fair enough.

Of course. But again, the thing is, in that case he'll get way better data by asking on a dedicated Škoda forum, rather than on a general-purpose VW one.

And for the record: I do own a couple Bionicle sets — including Axalara T9, the fourth biggest ever produced —, and I have almost all the loose parts needed for the two biggest ones, Skopio XV-1 and the Battle of Metru Nui , so it's not like I'm an entirely unqualified hater who's only here to hate. Quite the opposite, in fact: as a parts collector, I simply do not have the luxury to steer clear of any product line, be it Technic, Belville, Bionicle, Friends, Chima, Znap, or that stupid Star Wars.

Anyway, I think the most important point on this whole page right now is @peterlinddk's: Bionicle fans haven't left their Dark Age just yet. What will happen once they do, is anybody's guess.
    It does make me wonder if the whole concept of the "dark age" will apply the same way to BIONICLE and other story– and media-driven lines as it does to LEGO in general. People who invest in vintage action figures and dolls, for instance, aren't necessarily interested in their play potential, but often instead in the significance of the toy and the character. The same goes for a lot of other collectibles like trading cards. Will we see more of that in character-driven lines like BIONICLE, or will there be a lot of BIONICLE fans buying the sets for their play or building potential?

I have never been a seller in the aftermarket, and rarely even a buyer, so I don't know exactly what kinds of people seek out "classic" sets and parts even within the AFOL community. People who have been in the Brickset community for longer than I have might be able to share some insight here, since this community more than any other LEGO community I've been in emphasizes collecting above other things like MOCing. How many AFOLs, when they buy a vintage set online, regularly spend a lot of time playing and building with it, and how many keep the sets they bought out of nostalgia on a display shelf, separate from the parts that they keep on reserve for MOCs?

That could have some impact on whether BIONICLE sets and parts sell well later on. I won't lie; I think a lot of BIONICLE parts are quite dated in a functional sense. Many of them are quite specialized and could be hard to use unless you are determined to make use of them, either as a dedicated BIONICLE MOCist or as a more mainstream MOCist with a taste for NPU.

I personally avoid using BIONICLE parts in my action figure MOCs these days unless I am convinced they are the most suitable parts I have for the job. I find the intuitive building style of today's Hero Factory sets preferable to the complicated, Technic-intensive building style of many BIONICLE sets, and find the heavy detailing of many BIONICLE parts rather limiting compared to the smoother and simpler textures of Hero Factory parts. But at the same time I have plenty of nostalgia for these same specialized, high-detail parts... they were a big part of what I loved about BIONICLE back then, after all, and there was a time when I used to embrace the challenge of using them in my artwork and MOCs.
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, definitely a good call on the extensive detailing. A neutrally-looking, relatively smooth sword could be re-used as a wing or a feather, a tail, a Swiss-knife blade, a rotor blade, a ski or a skid, sky is the limit. But make it too detailed, and it only ever works as a sword. Make something that too clearly looks like a boot, and it only works as a boot. Make an elaborate mask, and it's a mask. Make a fist, and it's forevermore a fist. Now make sure that these parts have like two and a half ways of getting attached to anything at all, and you've got yourself a shelfwarmer.

At the other end of the spectrum, Bionicle had some truly excellent parts, like the Barraki eye, or better still the 1×3 tooth, which works as a claw, an eye, a headlight, a City-scale–donkey ear, a piece of heavy machinery, a seed part for a Christmas tree — see, I only just invented that last one on the spot, that's how easy it is. And these parts actually have exactly one attachment point, but lo and behold, that is more than enough. They are so good that people totally forget, or never learn to begin with, that they, too, are Bionicle. But the thing is, since they are so highly reusable, TLG actually does reuse them to this day. They are here to stay. At 3 cents apiece on BL. Good luck making a fortune off that.

I mean, this is like with printed tiles, really. Make it be a simple gauge, and you can use it for absolutely anything at all. Make it sport a dino radar instead, and it's next to useless. Stock up on these honeys, and you're all in with Anna Kournikova.

So I suppose if anything, as an investor I'd be moving complete sets. At which point we're back at square one: who knows which sets will or won't come out on top when the kids emerge from their Dark Ages; and, as you say, who knows how many are having a Dark Age at all; and for how many of those who are will HF (or its successors) be a more than suitable replacement? That's a lot of variables.