Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Cloud City-remake

SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
edited March 2011 in Everything else LEGO
There was a thread were people debated wether they should regret not getting the original Cloud City or not, as it was a rather "meh" set. If they were to re-make Cloud City, which I hope they'll do some time soon, what should it look like and what should be included?

My wish is that they'd Death Star it, shape it like Cloud City, but make it an "interior set", focusing only on the inside, perhaps with a couple of exterior details, like landing platforms.

These rooms/locations should be included:

At least ONE landing platform, like in the original, it could be big enough to hold Slave I or the Millennium Falcon, but that's not a must. It should be able to hold a cloud car though, and of course, one of those would have to be included. Like Vader's TIE in Death Star, only, not midi-scale.

Han and Leia's room. Can't think of any play-features for this one, but it should be included.

The dining room. Where the heroes are ambushed by Darth Vader and Boba Fett. This was in the original and should have the same type of door.

The garbage disposal room, from which Chewbacca saves C-3PO. In this room I can imagine quite a lot of play-features, like the assembly line and the big oven.

Obviously, the freezing chamber, where Han is put in carbonite. This room would also contain a lot of play-features, like freezing Han and perhaps a way to make Luke jump out, as he does during his and Vader's climatic duel. This room should be connected to the next room, which is...

...that dark room where Vader throws Luke out the window, both this, the above and the next one were included in the original, but it didn't look like that was too good... The way they did the window looked nice, though.

The location where Vader reveals he is Luke's father, hopefully they would make it over the large pit, as in the film... The next bit would be a bit complicated to make, but the designers at LEGO are so skilled they'd probably succeed: If they could make the hole which Luke "falls" through, when he ends up hanging from the antenna. It would be hard, but it would be so cool if they did...

Have I forgotten any iconic Cloud City location? I'm sure you'll let me know, now, for the minifigures!

As this would be a pretty large set, I expect there could be quite a lot of minifigures in it. They'd probably want to make this the ultimate Cloud City, so here's my guess, at what we'd see:

Han Solo: Flight jacket, plain shirt and carbonite. All released last year.

Princess Leia: Cloud City-dress and that white outfit she wears during their escape, possibly just one version. The Cloud City-dress was released in the original, with yellow skin.

Chewbacca: Carrying C-3PO on his back, as seen in LEGO Star Wars II. There might be a regular version as well, but I wouldn't think so... This would mean there'd be no extra C-3PO as well.

Luke Skywalker: Bespin outfit. Previously released in the original version, with yellow skin.

Lando Calrissian: Same as in the original, only with reddish brown skin and dotted eyes.

Lobot: Now in flesh-tones and dotted eyes and with the head-set as a part of his head or as an acessory. Previously released in Cloud Car with yellow skin and head-set printed on.

Bespin guard x2: Perhaps two different flesh tones? Previously released in Slave I(2006) with reddish brown skin.

Ugnaugts x2: I think two is a realistic guess, I would expect them to look the same, as the jawas or the gnomes of Harry Potter.

Stormtrooper x2: I know we all want more than that, but when Death Star had two(or four, that depends on how you count) no more would be realistic.

Darth Vader: Same old, same old...

Boba Fett: He'd probably be the same as in the newest Slave I, but one could always hope for a new version with printed, GREY, arms and legs...

So these are my thoughts on what to expect from a Cloud City-remake. Realistic? I think so... I'll propose two other badly needed remakes as well, when I get the time: Jabba's Palace and the Mos Eisley Cantina(unless someone beats me to it, they're more than welcome to).

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    @ Ugnaugts x2: I think two is a realistic guess, I would expect them to look the same, as the jawas or the gnomes of Harry Potter.

What HP gnomes?
    I would be delighted if they made some though!
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2011
    Sounds like a UCS to me...

What's good about the remakes is that they get better structurally. Maybe it's because of us AFOLs who demand better stuff. The minifigs tend to stay the same, but they could add more.

There's always a tendency to regret not buying certain things which later end up with high value. But then, hindsight is 20/20.

The good thing about LEGO is that it always appreciates and so I guess it's one of those things where foresight is unmistakably 20/20.
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2011
    cleared it out...
  • SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
    What HP gnomes?
    Goblins*, in the Norwegian translation they're called "gnomer", I must have mixed up the two, I thought there was something odd about it when I wrote it.

And Orthobrex, of course it must be a UCS! That's the only way it can be perfect.

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    edited March 2011
    It would have to have a good shelf life so maybe bespin isn't the best UCS choice. Maybe Tattooine would be a better sell? Of course our Brickish friends may have already set that bar too high...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    edited March 2011
    Isn't it the 30th Anniversary of "Empire..." this year ? In which case, I guess a Bespin set would be cool. And if we were offered anything like the set @Sapmi described I'd buy it like a shot !
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    That was last year; Empire came out in 1980.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    Oh well - only one year out.

:-)
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    2013 for 30th anniversary of Jedi ... probably time to get started building a life-size LEGO Ewok ;-)
  • LegoJedi87LegoJedi87 Member Posts: 1
    I think you COULD get away with doing 2 chewbaccas and 2 c3pos. Or at least build c3po in a way where the torso could be placed on chewbaccas torso much like a current lego cape...

Also, I'd add the torture chamber. To use your word, there could be a couple play-features in there as well. As I look at my beautifully crafted Death Star that my oh-so-loving wife got me for Christmas, I notice that there are 12 different scenes/rooms they built into it. Now I"m not saying that they should just add crappy hallways and such just to make it even but I think putting only 7 rooms is kind of a let down. If you want to make it similar in epic-ness to the Death Star and Executor Star Destroyer, you need a huge set. SO....I think the place should come with a mini-Slave 1, mini-Falcon, mini-X-wing, and mini-twin cloud car. I think sacrificing a couple hundred pieces on scenes out of say a 3k-4k set to make some ships would be great. I was disappointed with the death star only that they didn't put in some easy peasy 10 piece tie and x/y/a/b (anyone ever notice that those are the same friggin xbox/super nintendo buttons?) wings.

Either way, I will be one of the first in line to buy this should they ever come out. Empire was always my favorite (as I'm sure a lot of people). The more pieces the better. If it's more expensive, who cares? It's not like kids buy these big sets anyway. They don't have the attention span to spend building these lol
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I think they will do this at some time. I hope so, as it would at least put an end to the silly secondary market for what is actually not a great set.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    This would make a really cool set. I was hoping they would give the DS treatment to Jabba's Palace but that didn't happen so Cloud City would be high up on the wish list for me. Let's hope if they ever do make it again they use a unique printed Boba and not just rehash the new one again.
  • choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    I'd love to see a new one, one just because it needs re-done and second, hopefully it would drop the price for the old one and I could pick one of those up as well! lol
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I missed out on this, now it's sometimes going for £1000.

LEGO did it with Batman, and some of the figures are slowly going down in price.

Or re-release the original set...
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    Love to see a Death Star-esque treatment to Cloud City. Have it saucer-shape (have micro-city atop) with a cut-away view showing key scenes like the dining room w/Vader, center section is the Carbonite-Freezing Chamber, area where Vader and Luke fight that leads to the walkway where Luke loses his hand, etc., etc.
    With the micro city have micro or miniscaled Millenium Falcon, Slave I, Cloud City ships...would be a fantastic display AND play-set.
  • mrfootballmrfootball Member Posts: 84
    Death Star-style treatment of Cloud City would be a worthy followup to a classic set and a huge hit in my opinion. Do it Lego!