Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Differences Between Red Beard Runner #6289 and #6290.

Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
I have been doing inventory for #6289 and I came across some differences between this set and #6290.

Red Beard Runner #6289 was released in 1996 and came with 691 pieces. Red Beard Runner #6290 was released in 2001 and came with 698 pieces. When built and sitting side by side, both ships look identical, but there are some subtle differences.
piratemania7

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    #6289 came with this piece and was not included with #6290

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=2719

Look at the differences between the sails. #6289s sails seem to be made of a different type of cloth and the Lego logo is printed different.

#6289 is on the left and #6290 is on the left.
    Other sails.
    The smaller sails. Notice the Copyright is printed on the sail from #6290.
    Here's a good view of the cloth material difference.
    #6290 came with this part and #6289 did not.
    *Correction. #6289 is on left and #6290 is on the right.
    #6290 came with this part. Bricklinks inventory is wrong. In 2001, Lego replaced the light gray technic bushing with teeth, with this part:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4265c
    I hope this helps out if anyone is attempting to purchase a used Red Beard Runner.
    piratemania7
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,062
    @pitfall69 thank you for doing this analysis! This clearly is a very in depth view of what I would say is one of the more "classic" high seas pirate ships.
    #6290 was called "Pirate Battle Ship" here in the US. I don't know if it was different outside the US.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561

@pitfall69 thank you for doing this analysis! This clearly is a very in depth view of what I would say is one of the more "classic" high seas pirate ships.

Classic? I'd say it was one of the dregs of the Pirate line. Caribbean Clipper, Black Seas Barracuda and Skull's Eye Schooner are classics. Red Beard Runner is one of the sets that marked the end of the Pirates line.
    mdelleman
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    Great work @pitfall69 !

I would agree with @prof1515 this set does not come anywhere close to the 3 ships he mentioned as far as "classic" pirate ships go.
    I respect your opinion, but I feel as though the "hiatus" not "end" of classic pirate's was part of a larger fall apart of the greater Lego Group. This was just before the end of the 90's when TLG was in dire straights, thats when the SW license began and all but saved the company. So I dont think it was specifically this set that doomed this theme, a lot of "classic" themes changed around this time. Personally, I think it is a great set and the minifigures and new torso designs, among other cool and unique elements in this set makes it rather cool. No one is competing with Black Seas Barracuda here, I mean come on...
    I know the Re Release of Red Beards Runner #6290 had non shooting cannons, but did anyone's original Red Beard Runner come with shooting cannons?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Wasn't that a US / Europe thing that the US was worried about the danger of people shooting lego pieces at each other and banned them. Where aa all ships sold outside the US had working cannon.
    edited June 2014
    ^Yes, there was a safety issue with the cannons, but TLG changed the cannon and made it non-shooting midway through production of certain sets. I'm not quite sure when that was or what sets were affected.

Before they made a brand new mold, Lego just altered the cannon to make it non-shooting.
    Pitfall69 said:

I know the Re Release of Red Beards Runner #6290 had non shooting cannons, but did anyone's original Red Beard Runner come with shooting cannons?

My original Red Beard Runner did not come with shooting cannons - however the instruction manual indicates otherwise.

I assume the set I have come from when they switched over production to the non-shooting cannons; and either decided to not change the print on the instructions or had already printed said instructions and did not want to have to do any reprinting.
    Original RBR with Non-Shooting Cannons (a few extra added myself for increased power on the high seas).
    Pitfall69