Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Uh, it's for my daughter, really. (Oh, wait, I don't have a daughter)

chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
edited July 2013 in Everything else LEGO
So how many grown manly men have bought Friends sets for themselves? Hmm? I've bought one $9.99 set because of one of the pieces it had and I've bought two of the polybags because of parts also and the cheap price. If I had the money I would buy the bigger sets too and I'm not afraid to admit it. Er, at least not anywhere else but here.

Comments

• nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited July 2013
    Haha, I thought the new #41015 Dolphin Cruiser might be a cool yacht if the pink and light blue pieces were replaced with more "manly" colors. Of course, I'm probably too lazy to round up the pieces on bricklink to do that, but it was a thought.
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    I've bought some smaller (£5) sets and polys, primarily for the hairpieces - very good for customising "proper" minifigs. I've also bought some of the animal bags, as parts sets.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    Actually, I forgot that I bought another $9.99 set at the local drugstore that has a small selection of Lego. Most of the selection is Friends and I try to buy Lego once a week if I can so I'll probably be buying more. I can't recall if I've actually assembled any of the minifigs. I'll have to check when I get home.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    edited July 2013
    I've bought plenty :O) Not sure I count as manly or grown though. Medium Azur is my favourite of the Friends colours.

Interesting topic though. I'd suggest most AFOLs feel a degree of shame as they come out of their Dark Age and start buying a 'child's toy' - and buying 'girl's toys' is perhaps yet another step. But it applies to boys just as much as grown manly men. Have tried convincing my nephews to buy friends sets, to no avail of course :O)
    beegeedeeHylirica
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,529
    edited July 2013
    Not with the Friends line, but certainly with other lines. Fortunately I'm at that age where people just assume I've got a small child who is going to get a nice birthday present or two (I have no kids). I say nothing to dissuade them of that notion...
    y2josh
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 549
    I have.
    nonex
  • asksolasksol Member Posts: 101
    I got the Summer Riding Camp for my 31st Birthday. Really enjoyed building it too ;)
    flowerpotgirly2joshHylirica
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    The ladies have all the good accessories...
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I got a stack of Heartlake Stables at Target to part out when they were 30% off. Awkward at the checkout. I didn't have a buggy either so I'm stumbling toward the front balancing that tower of pink.
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    I've bought a few myself. I got the camper van for the bicycle and some of the nice pastel colors.
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96
    I have one of each of them. Not sure what i am going to do with them since i dont have any kids yet. However i plan on it in the future and if i have a girl then she will have a nice selection to borrow from me. haha.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    No more shame than usual for me. :)
    caperberryrichl
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    I wouldn't feel funny if I were to buy a set but to me the sets are useless. I collect current sets to save for future children but I don't consider these as stuff to save. To me the sets are like buying a Megablocks set. I have enough classic sets that a girl can play with them just fine, my first daughter did. Heck, my Walmart clearance all the sets out last year. They didn't sell. Could have bought the house for like $25. If I were to buy new sets, I buy them for the figures and the Friends sets don't contain any.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    As a female fan of Lego, I don't think it's strange at all for men to be buying Friends sets for themselves. They do have some interesting and unique parts. Alright, I've never bought a Friends set, but by the looks of it they have some excellent pieces.

Talking of opposite in terms of theme and gender, I'm a girl who buys a lot of Hero Factory and Bionicle for personal use. I'm not embarrassed to admit it at all. The only problem I've had in the past is when the non-Lego fan struggles to pronounce the set names quite often (especially Argos employees) and I have to correct them!

No shame, just buy what takes your fancy regardless of target demographic. That's what I do.
    LostInTranslationhewmanmargotHylirica
  • brickbrettbrickbrett Member Posts: 16
    I have bought the camper and the summer riding camp for my self as I really like the vehicles in these sets. I always buy Lego on my own and rarely get asked "is this for you or your child?" I often buy Hot Wheels cars as well and even when buying them if I get asked I just tell them it for me. Sometimes I get a strange look and sometimes I get great help.
    One shopkeepeer after discovering the $400 odd of Lego I was buying was for me went out the back and brought back a water damaged box of the UNIMOG. I got it at 60% off. So sometimes it pays to talk to the shopkeepers and not be imbaressed by something you love to do.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I don't have a daughter but I have a wife. My wife enjoys the friends collectable polybags so I use her as my excuse. And since my wife is only kinda into the theme I buy the friends sets with the best parts for me to steal later for her :).
    skeet318
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,827
    My brother and I got one small Friends set for a hairpiece to use with the wedding decoration set, and our family has also gotten the LEGO Friends advent calendar. The only girls in our household are my mom and our dog. We haven't invested too heavily in LEGO Friends though. Sometimes I feel like I should invest more heavily in it, including in the media tie-ins like chapter books. Still haven't gotten around to really exploring the story behind LEGO Friends.

Back when I was a kid my twin brother and I would get Paradisa sets "for mom", but it should go without saying who actually ended up building with them the most. Today, I don't really care too much about seeming masculine to other people. I wouldn't be a brony if I were preoccupied with that sort of notion. And it says a lot that I feel a lot more ashamed of any time I've put aside my interests to gain the approval of my family and peers than ashamed of the things I was actually interested in.
    sandtherapyHylirica
  • iamterryiamterry Member Posts: 159
    I might have come back from the lego store with a few of the series 1 and 2 polybags. I do like the squirrel house, nice and simple but does the job nicely. Some of the friends models are just more fun!

Oh well, if I do end up having a girl, she can 'inherit' them at some point :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,500
    I find it is less of a hassle to just agree if some cashier asks if am I buying for this person or that person, regardless of the set.
    I just do not have all the time in the world to explain that I like LEGO and that it is for me, blah blah blah.
    As for friends line. I always check out the parts in the sets, then promptly buy the parts I want online, especially if I only want a single part in large quantity out of a set, regardless of if it is friends on not.
    Like...where else you gonna get a Lego turtle?
    Hylirica
  • jhuntin1jhuntin1 Indiana, USAMember Posts: 43
    I've bought them for myself, as filler sets to give my town more variety. I've never had a cashier ask me about them.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    jdylak said:

To me the sets are like buying a Megablocks set.

That's a little harsh I think.

HarryPotterLover
    skeet318 said:

Like...where else you gonna get a Lego turtle?

Turtles that aren't ninjas, rather....

Furrysaurus
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    I only collect Star Wars sets, so I am safe there. I have two boys, so I can get away with buying sets that way. Although when I walk into my local Lego Store and the clerk asks, "So who is getting the Lego set today." When I reply, "Me." The eyebrows do tend to raise lol. I have met a few AFOLs at the Lego store and have engaged them in conversation....to which my wife will roll her eyes and walk away lol. She is a good sport though, supports my hobby 100%.

Fortunately I'm at that age where people just assume I've got a small child who is going to get a nice birthday present or two (I have no kids). I say nothing to dissuade them of that notion...

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,209
    I'm not a fan of the minidolls but I do like the colours of the parts. I also like the hair pieces.

So I did buy 12 of the DK Brickmaster Friends books / sets. It was when they were on offer in WHSmiths and you could stack a voucher. I think they worked out about £4 a book, and I sold off or traded the minidolls for more than that per book.

Leaving me lots of lovely coloured parts for free...
    Bandit
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    I got the camper pretty much for the azure bike (lots of other useful vehicle pieces in there too)... but when I was around 13 I stole my sister's Paradisa lighthouse.

...It feels good to finally get that off my chest.
    indigoboxandhemargotLegoFanTexas
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    I bought most of the sets when they were first released exclusively for the parts, but haven't bought any recently. I like the new colours, but would only buy sets if there is decent amount in those in them.
    I like to acquire tree pieces and the Friends sets have a lot of them in the lower price ranges. When I don't have a lot to spend I usually can't find any cheaper sets in the "regular" Lego products that have parts I would use, so I've been drawn to the Friends polybags. I get strange looks from the small boys in the Lego aisle at WM so you can imagine the looks I get from the little girls in the doll aisle. :} The little animals are cute too, though I'm not sure if they fit in normal minifigure world.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,827

I like to acquire tree pieces and the Friends sets have a lot of them in the lower price ranges. When I don't have a lot to spend I usually can't find any cheaper sets in the "regular" Lego products that have parts I would use, so I've been drawn to the Friends polybags. I get strange looks from the small boys in the Lego aisle at WM so you can imagine the looks I get from the little girls in the doll aisle. :} The little animals are cute too, though I'm not sure if they fit in normal minifigure world.

I'd say some of the Friends animals could fit in with regular LEGO animals. The bunny is a decent size to serve as a large rabbit, and obviously way better than the Belville rabbit. Any of the dogs are also good sizes for minifigures and provide nice variety (the only non-Friends dogs of reasonable size for minifigures are the sort with pointed ears, like a German shepherd). The dolphin could work in System as well. The sea turtle, while more cartoony than many of these animals, could also work. The cat and kitten are not too bad either, and certainly not far worse than the highly-detailed Belville kitten which has been the default cat in LEGO System for so many years.

Some Friends animals almost certainly would not work with regular minifigures. The horse and foal are stylistically incompatible with any variety of classic LEGO horse or foal, and lack any of the sharp angles you'd expect of a LEGO animal that large. The squirrel is just too big — larger even than the chimpanzee or chihuahua from the collectible minifigures.

Personally, I would prefer if these were released in sets with more simplified eyes so they'd be more compatible with classic minifigures (I have no problem with the stylized eyes in themes like Friends and Exo-Force but I don't like mixing them with regular black bead eyes under any circumstances). However, that doesn't mean I'd be appalled to see them in a display with classic minifigures. Last year for an Easter promotion on shop.LEGO.com, the Friends bird and bunny were used in a graphic together with some classic minifigures, and they looked plenty appropriate for the scene.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,234
    Girl sets or boy sets, I too just respond with "oh, for my niece/nephew" or something along those lines if asked. I'm not embarrassed or anything, but I really don't feel like talking/responding to "really?" or whatnot... and even though LEGO store employees are very nice, I like shopping undisturbed!
  • zippityzoomzippityzoom Member Posts: 86
    For those who buy for Friends sets to parse for parts, what do you do with the minifigs?
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    In my case, they go in a parts bag - and are unlikely (apart from the hair) to ever come out of it...
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Yup, the Friends' sets do contain wonderful parts for building all kinds of things! And have made a lot of interesting new colors available on brick link when we don't want to buy an entire set.

Cariq and others, if you want to get rid of your Friends' figs, please let me know. I love them and can find many uses for all the figs you don't need.

I know lots of guys buying these sets and parts, and it is nothing to be ashamed of...period. And who knows...the women in your lives (now and or later) may be attracted to you AND to LEGO because of your Friends' set...would that be a bad idea...now way!

For those who buy for Friends sets to parse for parts, what do you do with the minifigs?

Trade here, or sell on bricklink / ebay.

I put together one of the Friends sets I still had sealed a few days ago. It was the magician set. I wasn't impressed with the design of the magic cabinet. I just put it together for something to build but I plan on breaking it all down for parts. I did find out something about the Friends minifigures that I didn't know: their hands don't turn! The arm and hand are a solid piece with a painted sleeve that ends at the wrist. I don't usually even put the Friends figures together but I put the magician together and stood her on top of the build. I had a few loose Star Wars blasters sitting on the table I found when sorting a yardsale find of Lego. I put one of the guns in her hand for fun, and what I usually do when I give a normal minifigure a gun is I tilt his hand slightly to make it seem a little more natural (at least to me anyway). When I tried this with her I almost snapped her hand off!
    I actually think the little figures are cool, they remind me of Polly Pocket or something. I'm a sucker for little collectible figures, not usually little dolls, I admit, but once I gather enough of them I'll probably give them to my granddaughter or one of my wife's nieces, or maybe I'll even collect them myself!
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721

"This used to be such a nice neighborhood. Who on the Architecture Committee approved those horrid pink colors?"
    JenniCCCHarryPotterLoverevantylerLegoFanTexasgifinimOldfan
    ^^ And another friends minidolls collector is born.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    Sorry, but unless I have a big sign on my back to tell everyone in the store that I'm a Lego collector who buys a lot of different themes like Star Wars and Castle, a guy my age buying toys marketed to little girls makes me look like a creep and a pervert. I don't exactly have time to explain my Lego hobby to everyone who glances in my direction, and I don't feel like getting tackled by some vigilante mother who thinks I'm trying to lure kids into my vehicle (even though I walked all the way to the store). I've been previously informed by a store employee that my presence was complained about by an anonymous shopper who found something apparently wrong with me standing in the girls toy isle. I might be 20yrs, but come on, I look like a freaking 15 year old bookworm (with round glasses). Other than me being a man I shouldn't look suspicious at all... I walk around in a plaid golfing vest for Christ sake!

I guess the best psychological strategy would be to walk into the Friends Lego section with a normal boys Lego set already in your hands, that way when someone sees you looking at girls toys, they'll make the connection that "oh he just likes Lego" as opposed to "what's he doing staring at that... yuck".
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    @Ypres - ask the first busybody within earshot which set your niece would like for her birthday. Luckily, I look like (and am) a grandmother so everyone just assumes I'm stocking up for Christmas. Although, I get looks while Sitsfutmf-ing. (standing in the store, feeling up the minifigs.)

@CCC Friends hair is divine. Yes, it starts with "just a polybag" and "those little animals are cute."

@chuxtoybox - showing Mr. Klatu the disappearing rabbit trick with music "da-da-da-dada *clunk*" -- he said the *clunk* was a dead giveaway to where the rabbit went, I should get some felt. Yes, he is a keeper.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    After seeing the Dolphin Cruiser my son no longer sees certain toys as "for girls only". He is dying to get his hands on that boat. Now if Lego would only make them for the bathtub he would be in heaven.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Ypres said:

I've been previously informed by a store employee that my presence was complained about by an anonymous shopper who found something apparently wrong with me standing in the girls toy isle. I might be 20yrs, but come on, I look like a freaking 15 year old bookworm (with round glasses). Other than me being a man I shouldn't look suspicious at all... I walk around in a plaid golfing vest for Christ sake!

That does pass with time...

I'm 37, I no longer get those looks, instead I get, "how old is your daughter?"

Thankfully, I have one, and can truthfully say that she just turned 5. :)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    Yeah, my little girl is just 23 months, but I just tell people I'm buying them for her eventually. This is actually true though, so I don't feel weird about it at all.
    margot said:

After seeing the Dolphin Cruiser my son no longer sees certain toys as "for girls only". He is dying to get his hands on that boat. Now if Lego would only make them for the bathtub he would be in heaven.

Are you kidding? *I* think the Dolphin Cruiser is amazing! Already bought one to give to my daughter who turns 5 this week.

Umm, yep, it is for her, she is *totally* ready to build that all by herself... with some help... from dad... :)
    indigobox
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I just put my 5 year old son in a dress! Works every time ;)

With so many themes out there we have no reason to go to the Friends (Girls) isle unless shopping for a gift, saying that I do like the design of the Dolphin Cruiser. It's too bad the colours don’t do it for me. If they made it in blue (or any other non-pink\pastel colour) and added some real minifigures, I’d be all over it.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I built the Dolphin Cruiser last week and it was a good time indeed. Wish there was a bigger version in masculine colors like dark brown.
    ^ :) It is LEGO, you can change it! :)
    icey117
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259

That's what I keep telling myself, but do you think I have actually ever completed an alternate\modified version of any set or a MOC for that matter (apart from just ‘doodling’ with bricks I already have)

Ok, I forgot about this one.

Lego 4956 House x 4

But even this wasn't finished and had some design issues!

Yes, but I'm not suggesting you change the design (I am not any good at that either).

I'm just suggesting you swap colors from pastel yellow to brown or blue or something else.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639

Been mulling it over more as a full on MOC because it would be even better if it was longer. But the real issue is the hull piece locking in the width and preventing a super size version that can allow a walkway on the sides like a real yacht.
    Ditch the hull parts and brick build it! :) Then go as large as you want! :)
    Furrysaurus