Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Minecraft: Wave 2

YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
This discussion was created from comments split from: CUUSOO Corner.

Comments

• PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    The new Minecraft sets are called "The Nether" and "The Village." I don't play Minecraft so the names mean nothing to me, but perhaps those more familiar with the game will find this newsworthy.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    ^ Interesting, that'll have the people who play it salivating. Any idea of the set numbers?
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    edited June 2013
    ^ 21105 and 21106, though I think that was already mentioned somewhere. They're both the same price (so presumably about the same size) as the first set (which has been renamed The Forest).
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    Plell said:

The new Minecraft sets are called "The Nether" and "The Village." I don't play Minecraft so the names mean nothing to me, but perhaps those more familiar with the game will find this newsworthy.

The Nether is a nasty underworld-type alternate reality in Minecraft. You can make portals there and there are some valuable resources there, but there are also lots of monsters there. And that's what I know from conversing with Minecraft players and glancing at Wikipedia. It should stand out nicely from the existing Minecraft Micro-World/"Forest" set.

Not sure if "The Village" has any special significance or if it's just an archetypical village of the sort Minecraft players might build.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    Aanchir said:

Not sure if "The Village" has any special significance or if it's just an archetypical village of the sort Minecraft players might build.

Maybe it's a tie-in linking Minecraft to the M. Night Shyamalan film, although I don't think LEGO would consider a link to the film an appropriate IP for their products.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    The Village is an area with huts and buildings, with food grown and 'villagers' wandering around.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Hope both of these new Minecraft sets are out for Christmas, my Minecraft Lego set was my favourite Christmas present last year and I quite enjoyed building it on Christmas day :)

I assume the village will come with more of those microfigures but villager style which will be pretty cool. Intrigued to see how they do the crops and what buildings they include.

I figured one might be the nether and I'm sure they'll do a great job but it'll be tricky to pull off because the nether is fairly repetitive in brick style in game. Maybe they'll include a bit of nether fortress and some of the nether creatures perhaps.
    Overall, I think the Minecraft set's success should demonstrate a couple things to people who are following LEGO Cuusoo. First of all, a project does not have to have minifigures in it to achieve 10,000 supporters. None of the Minecraft concept models in the original Cuusoo project had figures of any kind, and the final sets use non-traditional figures.

One of the existing franchises I'd like to see get made into sets through LEGO Cuusoo is The Legend of Zelda. Its adventurous tone seems like a wonderful fit for LEGO. But the only projects that have seen a whole lot of support are minifigure-based. Some of the more non-traditional projects (I'd almost go so far as to say more imaginative) are this Hylian shield, this Master Sword, and this idea for a Heroica-like LEGO game which is perhaps the perfect translation of The Legend of Zelda's classic dungeon-crawling gameplay into LEGO. None of these demand new molds or even minifigures. But at the same time, they don't seem to get taken as seriously by many people as projects with minifigures (I've even been told by some people that no project without minifigures stands a chance of becoming successful).

I suppose people are somewhat locked into thinking minifigure-based sets are how licensed themes "should be", but when you look at the stellar designs of the Shinkai 6500 and Minecraft sets you'd think people would be exploring other options. Even brick-built character sculptures as are seen in the LEGO Star Wars theme don't pop up much on LEGO Cuusoo.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Minecraft is unique, the lessons learned from it don't really apply to everything else. It is a set based on a game of building blocks in the computer, it is a natural match for LEGO.

Minecraft is unique, the lessons learned from it don't really apply to everything else. It is a set based on a game of building blocks in the computer, it is a natural match for LEGO.

Yes, but I don't think it's so unique that it's the only licensed Cuusoo product that can sell well without minifigures. Brick-built IS an option, and a pretty good one for many franchises that have iconic props, vehicles, or characters that can be rendered in brick without falling into the uncanny valley.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,484
    Some changes make it more like the original car but others are not so good.
    I would say the changes are down to pricing and the molds for the parts.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    I'm really hoping the Minecraft sets won't disappoint. A nether portal and zombie pigmen are a must to the model and hopefully it'll come with ghasts too. The village is going to be a hard one to reproduce in such a small scale. But I'm really looking forward to the villagers as micro-figures.