Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying LEGO in Mainland Europe

CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,316
Hello,

I am embarking on a cruise around the Baltic sea for the next couple of weeks and would be grateful for any tips anybody might have concerning buying LEGO (or just in general actually) in the following destinations:

Stockholm, Sweden
Helsinki, Finland
Tallinn, Estonia
Warnemunde, Germany
Copenhagen, Denmark
Kristiansand, Norway

Naturally, in many of these countries LEGO is likely to be a little more expensive than it is in the UK, but I am hoping to pick up something in each port so if anybody has any inside knowledge on where I might find some good toy shops then that would be very helpful. I am also aware that in some European cities there are the occasional independent toy shops which sell discontinued sets. If anybody can advise me on where I might find any of those kinds of stores that would be excellent as well.

Many thanks,

Chris

Comments

• GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 782
    edited July 2013
    I can't offer any advice Chris other than just enjoy you holiday and some of the beautiful cities on your voyage :)

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,316
    @GothamConstructionCo- Thanks, looking forward to it!
    GothamConstructionCo
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    When I was in Paris I was looking for the LEGO store address, typing "lego store" into Google Maps gave me every toy store in Paris. That might be a good starting point, you can follow links to the stores' web pages to see if they look likely. You can also search "toy store" but that can bring up a lot of inappropriate stores, the kind you're probably not old enough to go into :).

I hope you have a great trip whether or not you find a forgotten LEGO gem on a dusty shelf.
    SirKevbags
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the tip @Jenni, I have now been to Stockholm and Helsinki and each place bore fruit. In Stockholm I picked up the three smaller Lone Ranger sets for 30% off (which comes to around 5% off in GB prices).

In Helsinki I found a rather nice little toy shop which sold a huge amount of LEGO and picked up a Dino 2010 set which was there along with lots of other sets from the 2000s. It was quite expensive but a nice find nonetheless.

Also, thanks to @Johnnyfinlandia for his tips on Tallinn (where I am stopping tomorrow). I have only just come across your thread which has been very useful.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @CapnRex101 Glad it helped and that you're having a good trip, hope it continues to be great. The Helsinki store sounds awesome.
  • brodermadsenbrodermadsen Member Posts: 1
    In Denmark the cheapest place to buy lego is when Bilka has special offers. Sometimes it's on a theme - other time it's just lego in general. Despite that lego is Danish it is not the cheapest place to buy lego and the prices will normally be the same in the brand store as it is in toy stores ( BR, toys'r'us or hanley's)
    icey117
    I am back from my holiday now and just to close things off I will give a brief report on each desitination and its merits when it comes to LEGO.

Stockholm - Surprisingly impressive, at least one BR store and lots of department stores which had particularly attractive LEGO displays (AHLENS in particular as I recall). A sale was on while I was there and most LEGO sets were around 30% off, making the prices quite tolerable.

Helsinki - No toy shop chains that I could find, although there was a rather lovely little independent toy shop which I came across, in which I found plenty of current and older sets. Of course, it was expensive though.

Tallinn - Little to speak of really. A rather bizarre shop which was part restaurant, part bar and part LEGO shop, as well as the department store suggested by @Johnnyfinlandia. Unfortunately these shops were both a little way behind and had not yet got the Summer sets in as well as being exceedingly expensive.

Warnemunde - A brilliant independent toy shop yielded plenty of new sets at reasonable prices, as well as some LEGO System packs from the late 80s and early 90s.

Copenhagen - I hardly need mention that Copenhagen offers a LEGO store far larger than any in the UK, although the prices are naturally high. I spotted at least 3 BR stores on my trip through the city as well.

Kristiansand - I was astonished to find 3 toy shops in Kristiansand (a small town by UK standards, although the 5th largest city in Norway). A BR and an independent store which was rather quaint, but had not yet got new sets in and did not stock older sets. The best of all however was a classic comic book store which had a huge range of LEGO, old and new (as well as plenty of comic books and rare action figures if you are interested in that kind of thing). It was named Outland and if you are lucky enough to find yourself in this lovely little city, I highly recommend the store. Prices were not too bad either which is a bonus.

I had a very enjoyable trip and thank you to everyone who was able to assist me in my search for LEGO in Mainland Europe, as well as those who simply wished me well.

• JohnnyfinlandiaJohnnyfinlandia Member Posts: 358
    ^sounds like a great trip :D

Helsinki - interesting what was the shop called ? as I live nearby and only tend to go to the bog standard superstores which also sell Lego such as Prisma (aka Asda) (they currently have #5770 @ €28 delivered if you live here) and we have Citymarket (aka Tesco) , Minimani, SäästoPörssi, Stockmann (aka John Lewis), TarjousTalo (aka Wilkinsons), ToysRUs, BR Toys, Hong Kong .. to name but a few.

I should maybe search out little independents .. only found some in other cities rather than Espoo or Helsinki. Most are selling sets at RRP but some have sales and generally the older sets disappear quickly.

I haven't visited Stockholm for a while, so will have to do a day trip and search out Ahlens :D
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    You need to get yourself on one of those ferries, get so drunk you can't walk, and get carried from bar to bar by your mates.
    edited July 2013
    ^ That doesn't sound much like me to be honest, particularly since I was on a cruise and I would probably have missed the ship leaving.

@Johnnyfinlandia - No idea I am afraid, something with various accents though, I remember that much. From the main street, towards the station end, a road came off to the right (as you look at the station) and then take another right from that road. The toy shop was the first shop past the shop on the corner. I remember all that, but not the name! :o)
  • JohnnyfinlandiaJohnnyfinlandia Member Posts: 358
    ^ ah hah it will be that one then ;)

.. so you are near the Central station or Alexanderinkatu (main street) ?

I will have to ask around .. but will have a 'hunt aorund' out one lunchtime as I work in the centre.
    You are in the main street and walking towards the station, it was quite close to the station that you turn right and then turn right again a little way down that road.