Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Comments

• 12651265 Member Posts: 946
    edited July 2013
    Call me cynical, but this video is only to grab emotion. Sure, it was a neat video, but really.....it's just another web video, plus the Lego leg failed!!
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,874
    I think she is pretty cute.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    1265 said:

Call me cynical, but this video is only to grab emotion. Sure, it was a neat video, but really.....it's just another web video, plus the Lego leg failed!!

I don't think cynical is quite the right word, you just come across to me as needlessly negative. She did it for a joke after colleagues suggested it and it seems she regularly posts videos referencing her amputation, so "grabbing emotion" doesn't seem to be behind her motivation to me.

Personally I find this funny, inspiring, brave and above all innovative. Not enough web videos like that out there. Although it's way too long!
    tedwardrancorbait
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    edited July 2013
    As someone who has not just one, but two family members with below the knee amputations I have a good idea how much courage it takes to go public with something like this. This young woman has found a way to face life under her own terms and I applaud her! @1265 I think you couldn't be more wrong about the intentions behind the video. Additionally younger amputees can see from her video that life doesn't end with the loss of a limb, you're still the same person who just needs to make a few accommodations for that new man-made limb. I hope you never learn that first hand!
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    edited July 2013
    Ha. I'm not missing a limb but I don't have a right eye. I can honestly say the thought of shoving bricks in my eye socket hasn't crossed my mind....perhaps a minifigure?
    I really hate the classic mini s now. They lack the gleam in their eyes that the newer ones have. It's like the classic mini s are souless.....

My aunt lost a foot to infection so I definitely don't think the subject is funny just the idea of literal Lego "replacement" parts....
    Hey....I spaced those paragraphs!
  • FurrysaurusFurrysaurus Hiding in the kitchen.Member Posts: 156
    her next attempt should make it look like captain brickbeads leg.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    I think she's the one that's lost her leg, and she can do what she pleases. What a cool chick. I bet she inspires her clients, with her attitude.

There are some people that implode with amputation. This world needs more positivity in it.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    "With her Legoleg in place, she should be free to stomp with abandon on as many Lego pieces as she likes, while the rest of us cower in fear from the thought of getting those pointy little bricks jammed up into our tender feet."

caperberrymarkarm919
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    skeet318 said:

Ha. I'm not missing a limb but I don't have a right eye.

Me too! Well, the eye is still there but non-functional after a stick in the eye when I was in Cub Scouts. I am an adult leader now and boy do they listen when I tell then not to play with sticks @ camp!

As for the criticism of this young woman: what utter nonsense. She simply was having a bit of fun and clearly is not trying to do anything other than amuse herself and her friends.
  • GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 329
    If she used Mega Blok's would that make it a "false legoleg " ?
    skeet318 said:

Ha. I'm not missing a limb but I don't have a right eye. I can honestly say the thought of shoving bricks in my eye socket hasn't crossed my mind....perhaps a minifigure?

Ouch! That makes me want to tell you what a bad idea that would be, and yet part of me wants to see it. Would something like this be a better idea - or much much worse?
    rancorbait
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    Surely this part from the 90s

You'd even have your own cool theme tune!
    @tedward

I was born with a bum optic nerve in my right eye. When I was 11, it started detaching from the back of the eye so the doctor determined it be removed....

@caperberry @coachie

I was joking fellas... I don't think any of those things or a minifigure would fit well. I got a nice glass one. Been thinking bout getting a Cat's eye or a neon yellow one like Cable's....the artist has skills.
    rancorbait
    Figured you were... but too cool an idea not to ruminate over...
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    Very interesting video. I like how she kept adding to it.

I wonder whether she would have been better using technic bricks for the bit that became very narrow and kept falling off. Also it would give her a bit of flex. :D (By the way I have no idea about prosthetics etc).
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Brave girl, hopefully we are not too far from seeing true bionic limbs...
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    skeet318 said:

Been thinking bout getting a Cat's eye or a neon yellow one like Cable's....the artist has skills.

Get a Borg implant with a laser.

@prof1515

The Queen hasn't gotten back in touch with me, yet...