Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which is important to you? A picture perfect build or a functionally stable one?

OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
edited March 2011 in Building and Techniques
Ok...so LEGO is an artform. And so is photography.

I come across many builds that look good in pictures but, when I imagine moving them, they would seem to fall apart or get disassembled...and some wouldn't seem to be able to move at all. There may be different purposes for each builder for their decisions on what to put in MOCs. I just personally don't agree with a non functional build. I like mecha and clone walkers a lot, so I can't appreciate one that only stands up.

Any thought on this? :-)

Comments

• brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Well, like you said, it depends on what your purpose is. I like living in a functional house, but doesn't mean I don't agree with a movie set. I don't want to live in a movie set, but I don't mind if a move producer uses a facade to shoot film of a house.
  • SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
    I like living in a functional house, but doesn't mean I don't agree with a movie set. I don't want to live in a movie set, but I don't mind if a move producer uses a facade to shoot film of a house.
    What an excellent reply.

• OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    edited March 2011
    A very philosophical expalanation indeed!

I guess it's the "viewer's discretion". :-)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    For photo purposes, I'm fine with disconnected bricks, etc. But sets that fall apart too easily (I'm talking to you Hoth Falcon) are my bane.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    That's a personal pet peeve of mine as well... since my sets mostly are used by my 3 & 5 year old kids. If a set falls apart when you look at it funny... it doesn't matter to me how nice it looks because it won't stay in that shape for 2 minutes after my kids get their hands on it. I think that's one reason I dislike so many of the Star Wars sets... they may look good but they are very fragile.
  • knuclear200xknuclear200x Member Posts: 45
    I'm stuck in the middle. Everytime I build a cockpit, I like to add all these details like levers and "computermabobs". Then I realize, "Wait a minute, I'm not going to drive this thing, nor will it ever function in real-life." It's what always pops up every time i have a limited amount of pieces, and sometimes I am fine with it because it looks good in the first place
  • NetworkNetwork Member Posts: 1
    I much prefer to have the functionality of a build. I'm also into the mecha aspect of lego, and if you can't pose it there is no real point. I also collect Action figures and half the appeal is posing them in different poses. I would collect statues if all i wanted was one static pose.

granted though there are a number of MOCs I've seen that look fantastic even if it's built into one pose.
  • MattZMattZ Member Posts: 4
    Longtime LEGO fan, first time LEGO forum user. Nice to hear from fellow fans!

I'll say that I'm 60-40 in favor of functionality. I'm big into the Castle theme and when I "attempt" to create my own houses/walls/castles, I want them to not only work, but look kinda cool (although I really struggle with making them look accurate). Making things to scale is of paramount importance to me. I need to picture myself as a minifigure and ask myself the question: "Would I be able to live and operate in this town and does it make sense?" I find I can achieve more when I think about it this way.

I don't have much to offer in the way of building techniques, as I don't have much of a standard myself! Again, not sure if I'm in the right fourm, but if anyone has suggestions for building Castle settings and mideval villages, I'd love to hear them!