Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego ID and VIP

orodesorodes Member Posts: 95
Hello everyone, i have been buying Lego for a few months now but think its about time i create a account on the Lego website since some of the sets coming out soon are on my most wanted list, how did everyone here pick their Lego ID's?

Was is just your name? or something you just came up with?

Also what would be the best way to become a Lego VIP member? Nothing at the moment is catching my eye but i would love to be able to get the current promotion ( hot dog cart ). Do i have to order something even if its cheap and just pay the postage since getting to a brand store is not an option for me unfortunately.

Im from the UK is that makes any difference.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Stvoyager04Stvoyager04 Member Posts: 117
    I'm pretty sure you can just sign up on the lego shop website to become a VIP member. Then you'll earn points whenever you shop online or in store.

As for usernames I have a few that I use over various websites. Doesn't matter what it is as long as you can remember it.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    I think the hot-dog cart is given with a £50 spend which has free shipping anyway, so you'd need to spend at least £50...

I signed up to the VIP system from day one and have probably had about £250-£300 worth of "free money" in the last year...its not free of course, i had to spend a lot of money to get it but its something i guess.
  • orodesorodes Member Posts: 95
    Could you please tell me how i can sign up as a VIP on the website? The only thing i can find is something that asks me for a VIP card number
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    I think you just sign up to be a lego member, then when you make a purchase you can tick a box to become a VIP member. You get the points from that order, and they set you up from there (send you a card etc).
    I think i understand now, so there is no way to just become a VIP member without making a purchase first? Guess i will have to find something i like enough to justify paying for postage :)

Thanks all.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,726
    I think you can register instantly instore without a purchase.

I might be wrong but believe that to be the case.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    orodes said:

I think i understand now, so there is no way to just become a VIP member without making a purchase first?

Yes, you can. If you go to the LEGO Shop website, there should be a box at the top right that has a link to sign up for the VIP program.
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    @binaryeye

Have you posted in "I Chose this username because" thread?

• Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    To become a VIP without making a purchase first @orodes

From [email protected] webpage:

Phone:
    Call our friendly experts at 00-800-5346-1111. They will sign you up to the VIP Program there and then, but you will still need to visit VIP.LEGO.com/Register to create a LEGO ID username to activate your card and unlock your membership benefits.

LEGO store and phone:
    If you sign up to the VIP Program in a store or via the phone, your card is not validated until you complete your registration online. Its as simple as 1, 2,3 and only takes two minutes

1. Join the VIP Program in store or over the phone
    2. Create your online LEGO ID
    3. Register your card

Hope that helps!

(They are open from 8am on that number.)
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    What @Lego_Star said is correct.

Even if you sign up at the Lego Store you still have to go online create your id and register your VIP card.
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 369
    Does anybody no how long it takes for the card to arrive? I signed up a month ago, made a purchase (and can see I have points on my account) but my card hasn't arrived yet.
  • Stvoyager04Stvoyager04 Member Posts: 117
    ^ I got mine within a few days. May be worth calling CS to query what the status of your card is.
    I just ordered something from the Lego website and signed up as a VIP that way, however when I check order status it shows a lot more than just the one item I ordered, however none of these have a price or any details, any ideas what this could be? Maybe emails?
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488

Does anybody no how long it takes for the card to arrive? I signed up a month ago, made a purchase (and can see I have points on my account) but my card hasn't arrived yet.

From sign up to delivery, mine took 6 weeks
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

Mine took about the same time. I signed up just before the 5/4 promotion and got my card in mid-June.

• EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    orodes said:

I just ordered something from the Lego website and signed up as a VIP that way, however when I check order status it shows a lot more than just the one item I ordered, however none of these have a price or any details, any ideas what this could be? Maybe emails?

@orodes The additional items are the promotional items ( hot dog stand) and perhaps a Chima speedorz :-)). I could be wrong though. :-)

• alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 369
    binaryeye said:

Mine took about the same time. I signed up just before the 5/4 promotion and got my card in mid-June.

Ah ok, i'll leave it another couple of weeks then! thanks for the replies!!
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    My VIP card took almost exactly 6 weeks to arrive.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,096
    Once you are up and running you will be entering a world of bliss. Welcome.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2013

Once you are up and running you will be entering a world of bliss. Welcome.

Just trying to ground us in reality here, because I'm missing the "bliss" part. Some of the VIP stuff is good, but blissful?

1) 5% merchandise rebate
    2) Early access to buy things at full price
    3) A red keychain
    4) Complete corporate and marketing tracking of every Lego purchase you make
    chromedigi
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I would remove Point #3. Leaving an even less stellar list of benefits.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,179
    ^ Yep... didn't get #3, but I didn't care. #4 is NOT good and almost not worth it.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    5) It's better than the punch cards
    6) It helps you keep track of both [email protected] and LBR purchases in one bucket
    7) You can pool online and real purchase rebates
    8) It gets you free access into some of the best hot spots in Peoria, Illinois
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    9) You get a cool card to put in your wallet. Who doesnt like that?
  • chromedigichromedigi Member Posts: 344
    tensor said:

4) Complete corporate and marketing tracking of every Lego purchase you make

It could be worse:

a) At least we don't have to use these things to get what meager discounts are still available from other vendors.
    b) And they haven't been installed subcutaneously.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,527
    Quite frankly I don't care if TLG know exactly what purchases I've made in LEGO stores. Why should I?
    LegoMom1jasor
    Because that's how they figure out that you've made too many, and put you on their s*** list.
    @chromedigi but as I don't buy multiples of the same set (and am very unlikely to), why should I worry?

This may be a discussion for a different thread, so I'll just touch on it here, but IMHO TLG are perfectly within their rights to put limits on what they sell to people. People therefore shouldn't be surprised if TLG punish them if they deliberately break those limits.

Therefore, the average person, who doesn't deliberately break purchasing limits, has nothing to worry about from TLG knowing what they've bought through the VIP programme.
    edited September 2013
    @Paperballpark - It sounds like you probably don't MOC. But, not to make suppositions where a direct question can do... Do you ever buy parts in the aftermarket, e.g., through Bricklink?
    I do MOC actually - not much, and I've only really started fairly recently, but I do.

I do buy parts from bricklink, and I do see where you're going with that question. My answer to that is that the best deals for sets are usually found outside of TLG's immediate sphere of influence (e.g. Tesco, Argos etc). Personally I don't see how it's possible to make a half-decent profit on selling parts without getting a discount on most sets of more than 30 or 40%. This naturally precludes (in most cases) getting sets for parting-out purposes from TLG, and means that the majority of resellers who buy from TLG are, I would suggest, doing so to sell the sets whole when they go EOL.

Therefore it's those kinds of resellers, rather than the part-outers, who are most hit by the limits TLG imposes. That doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    edited September 2013
    ^ Mostly you are correct, but the large exclusives have been a good source of parts for quite a while. Anyway, as you start to MOC more, I think you'll find that you start to feel more of a need for multiples than you do at present. Having a minimum of 4 to 6 of a given set opens up the exploitable design symmetries.

I myself am not a reseller, but I do want them to be able to continue to exist and to be able to provide a steady supply of parts in bulk to the community at reasonable prices. So everything that TLG is doing to decrease opportunities for them to do their business I find worrisome. Not to mention that I occasionally would like to pick up an exclusive (or Minecraft set, etc.) in multiple for my own purposes.

I don't know if you've noticed yet, but TLG appears to be making an effort to also limit discount opportunities outside their immediate sphere of influence (as you say). Things aren't looking good all around.

If TLG succeeds in making MOCcing a significantly less affordable hobby (which is where things look to be headed at the moment), it will be a shame, and will have other repercussions for them downstream. Where do you think the talent pool from which they will hire the set designers of the future will come from? These people have to be able to afford to develop their art for years beforehand.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited September 2013
    Let's not bring a reselling debate into this thread.

Quite frankly I don't care if TLG know exactly what purchases I've made in LEGO stores. Why should I?

Nobody was saying you should care about them personally tracking every single purchase or mouse click you make. I only posted because it's a fact, for better or for worse, and some people who are all rip-roarin with their hot new VIP accounts may not be aware of it.

It's a moot point really, because it's just a matter of time before we are all Borg anyway.
    jasorchromedigi