Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The LEGO Wall: New site for tracking Pick A Brick (PAB)

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,474
    ^ and will be again after I go there on Saturday :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^Just been now, nothing exciting. Only a cursory look, but the wall seemed the same as on 'Wall of Bricks' to me.
    edited July 2013
    ^ I need a load more 'Plant Flower Stems', as although I had loads, my first MOC is using dozens upon dozens of them. I also need a few other bits and pieces.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 543
    Well done! No disrespect to BrickBuildr, of course.
  • dwalton76dwalton76 Member Posts: 97
    New feature from a few days ago...if you click on the part for "Plant Flower Stems" or http://wallofbricks.com/brick.php?id=3741-6 you will see an "Available At These Stores" section. I haven't tried it yet but I've been told that you can call a lego store and have them ship you stuff off of their pick-a-brick wall. I don't know what they charge for shipping and handling though. If anyone tries this and it works let me know and I'll mention it on the site.
    FurrysaurusjasorEKSam
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^That would be so cool. I have 3-4 stores around me in 200+ mi increments. Having them ship to me would be a gamechanger.
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    edited July 2013
    The address for the Stratford store is correct, but it's not a real address as it's in the middle of the shopping centre, but for me E201EH as a postcode is the right place on Google Maps:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=E20+1EH&hl=en&sll=51.543924,-0.01468&sspn=0.033816,0.031586&hnear=London+E20,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15

Oh, and another request: could there be a mouseover to give the name/colour of the brick. The code number doesn't mean a lot to me.
    Paperballpark
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
    Great interface. It looks really good on my BlackBerry. I'll update my local store (Chandler, AZ) ASAP.
    Have you managed/have you any interest in mapping codes between LEGO and BrickLink?

For instance, it seems that 3741 for plant stems is a LEGO code, used by BrickLink - what does the -6 signify? I presume it's the colour.

If you got this mapping sorted, you could do useful things like link to BrickSet:

Sets containing 374128, which is the LEGO code for your 3741-6:

http://www.brickset.com/search/?part=374128

Or use LEGO's own images:

http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/374128.jpg

And then a similar mapping could mean a way for BrickSet to link back to wallofbricks.com if Huw were amenable.

might be better to move over to the proper lego codes and get rid of the bricklink codes altogether?
    jasorFollowsClosely
    ^ Seconded.
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
    Pardon me for my newb-ness, but does Lego/Lego stores NOT update their inventories somehow? Is relying on the the people to update sites like this the only way to get the info? I would think Lego'd want to email the information out to (at least) locals who give the store their email address.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    @dwalton76
    Awesome interface:-). If someone does not beat me to it, I will try and update Bellevue, WA store when I go there next. Thanks to the person who updated Lynnwood store. :-)
    leemcg said:

The address for the Stratford store is correct, but it's not a real address as it's in the middle of the shopping centre, but for me E201EH as a postcode is the right place on Google Maps:

Oh, and another request: could there be a mouseover to give the name/colour of the brick. The code number doesn't mean a lot to me.

I think I have the Stratford map fixed now, let me know if not.

I'll add the part name to a mouseover but it will be a few days before I can commit the changes.

leemcg said:

Have you managed/have you any interest in mapping codes between LEGO and BrickLink?

For instance, it seems that 3741 for plant stems is a LEGO code, used by BrickLink - what does the -6 signify? I presume it's the colour.

If you got this mapping sorted, you could do useful things like link to BrickSet:

Sets containing 374128, which is the LEGO code for your 3741-6:

http://www.brickset.com/search/?part=374128

Or use LEGO's own images:

http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/374128.jpg

And then a similar mapping could mean a way for BrickSet to link back to wallofbricks.com if Huw were amenable.

yeah in brinklink lingo the -6 is the color. Right now I'm using the bricklink part #s because my original website idea was for something exactly like www.rebrickable.com (I'm fairly new to the lego world and didn't know about rebrickable though). bricklink has really good set inventory data so I pulled my part #s and set inventory data from there. After about 4 days of coding I discovered rebrickable and stopped working on that project but then shifted gears to the pick-a-brick inventory idea. So anyway, that is the story behind why the site uses brinklink part #s.

I'm not opposed to using official lego part #s if those are more standard. It may be a little while before I can get to it though.

It looks like what brinklink did is take the "Design ID" (that is what brickset calls it) and append a color code to it to create their part number. Here you can see the Design ID is 3741
    http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=374128

So I can map the two conventions together, I just need to crawl all the parts pages on brickset. Unless brickset has a place where I can download their parts list? I couldn't find one.
    EKSam said:

@dwalton76
    Awesome interface:-). If someone does not beat me to it, I will try and update Bellevue, WA store when I go there next. Thanks to the person who updated Lynnwood store. :-)

Stratford map is much closer (it's in Stratford at least) but still a little bit to the west of the actual location. I see that's actually my fault as it's where my link above points to (I was sure it was centred on Westfield, but I must have been wrong).

This link is better:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=westfield+stratford&hl=en&sll=51.545241,-0.005794&sspn=0.033815,0.031586&hq=westfield+stratford&t=m&z=15&iwloc=A

The first match A, is pretty much the centre of the shopping centre.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,963
    I checked Leeds, the map is a little off!
    Turns out that the Stratford store is already in Google Maps as one of those little grey squares. You have to zoom in a bit to see it, but I presume this will be a better link:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.543319,-0.006904&spn=0.004227,0.003948&t=m&z=18&vpsrc=6&iwloc=A&q=LEGO®+Store+Stratford&cid=401755595244834583
    matticus_bricks
  • FurrysaurusFurrysaurus Hiding in the kitchen.Member Posts: 156
    in regards to the stores shipping from the wall, this is from my local source - "As long as you are specific as to what you want from the PAB, I can't imagine a store saying no. That doesn't mean they won't, but I know we would do it should someone ask."

take that as you will :)
    ^ I might have to try it out
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96
    just updated the Sacramento store and it was very easy once I got used to it and learned how to search for the more unusual bricks. Overall I like the site. Thanks for creating it.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited July 2013
    CCC said:

Haha! Indeed. Since when has Leeds been between Birmingham and Oxford!?

• clickdastardlyclickdastardly United StatesMember Posts: 14
    Hi...I just entered the info from the King of Prussia PA (USA) into your website. One slot is empty because I couldn't find a 6x12 green plate to pick. Anyway, thanks for your work on this!
    luckyruss said:

CCC said:

Haha! Indeed. Since when has Leeds been between Birmingham and Oxford!?

Can you guys send me a google maps link to where the store is located?

Thanks

Hi...I just entered the info from the King of Prussia PA (USA) into your website. One slot is empty because I couldn't find a 6x12 green plate to pick. Anyway, thanks for your work on this!

Thanks for updating the King of Prussia store! There was a bug with the green 6x12 plate...fixed now :)
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    The address for the shopping centre where the Leeds store is Albion St, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS1 5AT

On google maps this pointed me to the intersection of Albion St and Commercial St, the Lego store itself must be in the "bley" area just south of that on the map.
    Is it possible to have an easier way of telling how long ago the wall and individual pods were updated? At the moment it's really quite hard to tell, whereas with iPAB you can tell at a glance.

Maybe a red background for newest, down through various shades of orange and yellow as they get older, until it gets to white for oldest, or something like that?
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    edited August 2013
    Updated Cardiff based on the recent brickbuildr update and what I could remember. Better something than nothing!

It is really a nice interface and after 5 minutes use, you can really fly through the inputting. Well done @dwalton76, I'm very impressed. Apart from the suggestion above, I would put the country drop down box above the store one so you don't waste time looking through the US ones. I'm really picking nits there though.

if there was someway to remember your last store using cookies or something, that would be great.
    @paperballpark - do you intend your feature request to be a way of keeping track of how long a part has been on a wall, or how up-to-date the information is. It seems to me that the colours on iPaB are intended to do the latter, but might do the former at best (I've never gone in and said 'this part is still right', rather I just leave it unedited and only change the boxes that are wrong).

@dwalton76 You can see the enthusiasm for your site here - and I definitely think you have really got the interface done nicely - but could you share with us a little your plans for development? There have been a lot of good ideas suggested but it's been a little while since anything changed.
    @leemcg I see your point. I think I used the colours on ipab to see if there's been anything new recently. I do the same as you when updating, I only change the pods which are wrong, but I know that if a pod hasn't changed for a while when others have, it's likely to still be correct.

My issue is that at the moment, it's hard to tell at a glance which pods have changed recently. Therefore it's harder to tell what's new.
    luckyruss said:

The address for the shopping centre where the Leeds store is Albion St, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS1 5AT

On google maps this pointed me to the intersection of Albion St and Commercial St, the Lego store itself must be in the "bley" area just south of that on the map.

I have it now so the map matches with the map shown on stores.lego.com. If that is still off let me know.
    @Paperballpark
    "Is it possible to have an easier way of telling how long ago the wall and individual pods were updated? At the moment it's really quite hard to tell, whereas with iPAB you can tell at a glance."

yeah right now I show the date for when the bin was last updated but you are correct, there is no easy way to glance at the wall to tell what bins were updated the longest ago.

What if I add a checkbox that says "Highlight bins that were updated more than X days ago" where the user picks X? I'll also add a "Last update on" line under the store address.

On a related note, if you click on a bin and the part in that bin is still correct, when you click the green checkmark it will update the "updated on" date for that bin.

@coachie
    "I would put the country drop down box above the store one so you don't waste time looking through the US ones"

Enough people have asked for this change now...I guess I will give in and put the country first :)

@cheshirecat
    "if there was someway to remember your last store using cookies or something, that would be great."

Currently I use a cookie to remember what store you last viewed. I didn't do this for the store you last edited though...I was worried it would make it too easy for someone to accidently update the wrong store if they happen to visit multiple stores. Once you pick the store to update though we'll remember it as you are traversing through the bins.

@leemcg
    yep things slowed down for a bit, I was on vacation for a little while but I am back at home now. I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone on this forum, it helps motivate me to keep working on this project :)

Future plans for the site...I don't mind sharing just keep in mind nothing is set in stone. Before I went on vacation I started working on a Shopping List feature. My thoughts were to come up with something that would tell me what bricks (and how many) to get from a pab wall in order to complete certain sets of legos

PaB Wall Shopping List
    - user creates an account and logs in
    - user enters a wishlist of sets he/she wants to complete by buying individual bricks
    - user enters a wishlist of parts he/she wants (outside of the parts from wishlist sets)
    - user enters what sets and extra parts he/she already has
    - user views the pab wall for his/her local store
    - At the bottom of the page I print out another copy of the wall but this copy only includes the bricks that would apply towards the users wishlist sets or wishlist parts. In each of these bins it shows how many of the brick to get.

I figured it would be cheaper to use this approach to complete remaining sets...after working on this for a bit I'm not so sure though. For instance I have quite a few Star Wars sets so I started looking into obtaining the remaining parts for 10178 (the motorized AT-AT). I have over half the parts already but of the remaining half only a few are available via pab and it would cost more to buy the remaining parts via bricklink than it would to just purchase the entire set on ebay.

I'm not sure if the wall Shopping List idea is worth the added complexity of supporting users, logins, wishlist for sets, wishlist for parts, etc when in the end it will just be easier/cheaper to complete sets by buying them used. That and there are already multiple lego sites out there where you can inventory your sets and parts. What do you guys think?

Multiple Bricks Per Bin
    - It is kind of corner case but several folks have mentioned that their local store puts multiple parts per bin. I don't have a way to handle this but it is on my todo list.

Sets Search
    - I'm really happy with the way the Parts Search interface turned out. I may try to do something similar for searching for sets.

Amazon and/or eBay links
    - I can't imagine I'd make a ton of money but it would be nice to make enough to cover the web hosting cost for the site
    Good to know you're back on the case @dwalton76. I'm looking forward to what you come up with. Whilst I've made some feature requests, I'm the first to acknowledge that you've already come up with a killer feature I didn't know to ask for - the interface.

A couple of thoughts:

The way you describe what happens, in terms of update date, when you click the big check mark, means that it wouldn't have the effect that @paperballpark was asking for. I'd go further and say that you shouldn't interpret anything from such a click. I'd never go through all cells clicking okay - I just change the couple that are (now) wrong.

My priority for simple things that could make things a lot better would be other data displays (particularly for viewing a store) by colour, by part type.

I'm not sure that you'll ever get very far with using PaB for missing parts for sets - the range is just far too limited - but even if you decided to go that way, I'd recommend not reinventing the wheel. Instead of trying to recreate rebrickable, or the various inventories of Brickset, BrickLink and BrickOwl, concentrate on working with those sites and building hooks into and out of your site. 'hooks' could be formed URLs to a full API.

I'd also recommend a publicity drive. Your top features should really be those which could give you a chance of a front page mention on BrickSet, eurobricks, etc etc.

@leemcg
    "I'd never go through all cells clicking okay - I just change the couple that are (now) wrong."

ok I think there are two problems to solve here:

#1 How to easily display the age of the data on the wall?
    Today: We display the 'updated on' date in the bin

Option 1: Provide a checkbox and a slider so the user can only display bins that are older than a certain number of days. I have this working on my dev machine...the other advantage is you can also use it to only show the bins that have been updated recently.

Option 2: Use some sort of color scheme to display the age of the bins. So red if the data is older than X days, orange if it is older than Y and green for everything else. What do you guys think the cutoffs should be for X and Y? Maybe 4 weeks for X and 2 weeks for Y?

Then 2nd option would certainly be easier to use but wouldn't have as much flexibility.

#2 User needs to tell the site that the entire wall is accurate?
    Right now the only way to do this is to traverse every bin and click the green check mark for the "Is this correct?" question. This is slow though and users aren't going to do this.

I can add a "The Entire Wall Is Accurate" button that will update the "updated on" date for each bin to the current date. The only risk is if people click it when they shouldn't. If it starts being abused I can add login support and force users to login to use this button.

"My priority for simple things that could make things a lot better would be other data displays (particularly for viewing a store) by colour, by part type"
    So something like the Parts Search interface but applied to a wall as a filter?

"I'm not sure that you'll ever get very far with using PaB for missing parts for sets - the range is just far too limited"
    The surprising thing (to me) was that even using bricklink it doesn't make financial sense to buy missing parts to complete a set...even when I already owned 75% of the set. I went so far as to write some code to find the optimal set of bricklink stores to purchase the remaining 25% from but even then it is cheaper to buy the entire set.
    edited August 2013
    ^ I would suggest something along the lines of option 2, and point out that (I think) its not so much as a way of checking how accurate the bins are, rather to quickly identify new parts since you last visited (either your site/or the pab wall).

With logging in it could easily be done with a simple check against last time viewed and the update timestamps for the bins. In that case you could have quite a vivid highlight around a bin that's been updated since your last visit.

Without logging in, some kind of time scale as you describe would be best, but it may be best to make it quite subtle rather than a vivid highlight. Perhaps using the date string but colouring it green and bold for 1 week, green for 1-2 weeks, amber (or half way green-black) for 2-4 weeks. That should be quite a simple thing to code and could be trialled easily enough - much more so than a login system.

Unrelated, two things strike me, firstly, when viewing a wall it would seem more sensible to have the wall contents first then the store map. I suspect most people know where the store is, and even if they don't, they've come to look at the PAB not a google map. I think showing the important information first, what someone is really looking for, would be a great idea.

Secondly I wonder if the wall format used for updating is better than the larger version used for the general viewing. It fits on one row (or at least it does for Manchester and most others I've checked) and whilst smaller gives a much better quick overview. There's something a little jarring with the split row. You could have the other information as a popup on mouseover (although obviously this might be an issue for tablets etc). I'm not sure about this, its just a feeling I have.

In terms of general direction - I would focus on what you do best. PAB walls. Your site is miles ahead of any competition when it comes to PABs. Like yourself and others, I can't see much benefit in adding sets or somehow trying to recreate sets from the PAB contents.

I would maybe try to improve the parts page - when you click on one of the parts on a wall. The first part is perfect, maybe I would add a second list of where this part has been available in the past (and date span), this will become important later.

Secondly, I would change the display of sets this part is in. I don't think there's much point in listing only 10, either all or nothing I think. Also, the format used means there's a lot of redundant space. Look at either brickset (http://brickset.com/search/?part=345526) or peeron (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3455) for what I think are better ways to list them. I quite like peerons (its not as pretty as bricksets) but shows all sets including those for a different colour and also, importantly, the quantity of this part in the set (which I know yours does now also).

Then, as others have said, I would get some links going with brickset and others. A few of us were quite vocal that brickset should do a PAB wall updater, but then you did a great one and the need reduced. However, some of the benefits of brickset doing one are still missing. For example if we could have a link to your site from this page (http://brickset.com/parts/search/?query=3455) or other similar ones, or even pull some information from your site to say if a part is available on a PAB wall or ever has been, then that would be fabulous. At that point the information not only about if a part is currently available somewhere, but also if it ever has been becomes quite useful.

Sorry for the long post, and just to clarify - I love your PAB site, its by far the best and the first I've felt I wanted to use (and do use). Please don't take the above as criticism, rather just feedback.
    I wouldn't like an option of only showing bricks that were updated a certain number of days ago - I like to see all the bricks, so I would agree with option 2, having them coloured differently. I'd suggest red for updated than a week ago, then orange for less than 2 weeks, yellow for less than a month, and white for anything updated more than a month ago.

The thing about a button to click to state the entire wall is correct got me thinking, as I think that would be good, but obviously it wouldn't help with my stated use of seeing what's new. So that got me thinking about what I was really meaning and how I really use it.

I think what the colours mainly do is allow you to easily see when the wall was last updated. So whether it's just 3 or 4 pods that are coloured brightly, or all of them, I'm not sure it actually matters. What matters to me is easily seeing when someone last updated it, to see if there is something new. At the moment if you want to see when it was last updated, you have to look through the dates on all the pods. Seeing which pods have been updated recently would be good too though ;)

Also, I agree with having the map below the wall.
    edited August 2013
    ^ Well, you could just have a 'last updated: X July 2013' string at the top of the wall which takes the most recent update timestamp across all the bins. That tells you when someone has done somthing to the wall. Then use the colour gradients to show people how old each bin is. Perhaps rather than base the colour grading on the bin update date, base it on how long the store has contained that part? A bit more coding sure, but perhaps worthwhile?
    @cheshirecat @Paperballpark I appreciate all of the feedback...keep it coming :)

Map below the wall content - agreed, the map should be at the bottom. This will be in the next update.

Wall Format - The wall display format that is used for the update page works really well for stores with 14 columns or less. If it is more than that though then you have to click prev/next to load different sections of the wall...if I show more than 14 columns the icons get too small to see. So using the small icons format doesn't give us a way to display the entire wall at once for many of the stores :(

For the wall display page though I could have it so everything is displayed in one table (unlike today where it splits after 10 columns), there would just be a horizontal scroll-bar at the bottom of the wall content that you would drag left or right. Thoughts?

Dates & Colors - I'm starting to think that I need to track two dates...when the part was first added to a bin ('first-added-on' date) and when it was last updated ('updated-on' date). Because some users just want to see which parts were updated the longest ago so they can check those bins to make sure the wall is accurate while others want to see what bins have changed since they last visited the store.

What if I display a calendar where you click on a date and bins whose 'first-added-on' date is after the selected date are highlighted? The calendar could have a toggle switch to highlight bins based on the "updated-on" date instead of the "first-added-on" date. The user could use this to sanity check the bins that haven't been updated in a long time.

This would prevent the wall from becoming a rainbow of background colors.

Parts Page History - So have a second section (after 'Available At These Stores') that shows when the part has been available at the various stores? I can see how that would be nice to know...esp since there are tons of parts that will probably never be seen on a pab wall.

Parts Page Sets - Displaying all of them at once could end up being a ton of sets for a common part...I could have it so you click a "load more" button to grab the next batch of sets (something similar to how the google images results page works). That is kind of cool how peeron shows you the sets for this part but in a different color. I'll have to think about how to do that...
    I don't like horizontal scroll bars. I'm fine with how the columns are displayed at the moment.

Personally I don't mind a wall being a 'rainbow' of colours, and I'm not really that bothered about the date a part was first added to the bin, although I realise others might be.
    I would have posted again, but I agree almost entirely with @cheshirecat so I won't waste the space!
    I pushed an update a minute ago. I decided NOT to track the date the part was added to a bin AND the date it was last confirmed as correct....I'm only going to track the date the part was added to the bin. Two dates was more confusion than it was worth.

Wall Filters This is the major change for tonight. I added an interface so you can filter:
    - by duplicate...this will show all of the parts that are in more than one bin
    - by color
    - by when it was added...@Paperballpark just set the From date to whenever you were last in the store and you'll see all of the bricks that have been added since. I went with this approach instead of color coding the bin backgrounds based on age....this is much more flexible and looks nicer.

Part Page History - you'll see a second table that lists which stores (if any) have had this part on their PaB wall in the past.

Wall Activity and Set display pages - Changed the format for displaying parts so I'm not wasting so much screen real estate.

The next items on the todo list are:
    -map bricklink part numbers to lego part numbers. Once I have this I'll link each part back to brickset. Hopefully I can get brickset to link to me.
    -support multiple parts per bin
    -enhance how the Parts page displays what sets that part is used in
  • FenrisAkashiFenrisAkashi Member Posts: 242
    I tried using the site to update the unique PAB things I pulled from the Tigard store but I noticed the number of "Other" Pieces is fairly limited (was trying to add the flow stem and petals). Is this something you plan to update soon?
    It should be there...try this:

- select Other
    - set the dimensions to 0x0...this tells it to search all dimensions
    - in the keyword filter put in something simple like "flower"
    For you guys ( @flat_four @leemcg ) whose lego stores put different types parts in a bin...what is the maximum number of part types you tend to see in a bin? Is it something reasonable like in the 2 to 6 range or do they go crazy and put dozens of different parts types in a bin?

I'm working on the code for supporting multiple parts in a bin and am trying to get a handle on how to do the GUI.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 850
    ^ I found 8 different parts in a bin at Milton Keynes last week. All 1x1 elements. More normal is a maximum of 3 or 4 parts per bin. I think a maximum of 10 elements should be ample.
    How about having a maximum of 9? Then you could put tiny icons in a 3x3 grid for that bin, with a larger image popping up when you hover over each one with your mouse.

btw, the 'fade' feature by date etc works well, and I like the change in display for wall activity :)
    ok 9 seems like a reasonable number to support. Anything above that and the icons would be so small I'd have to make it zoom in on a mouseover.

Glad you like the fading...I was pretty happy with the way it turned out :)
    I've only ever seen two elements in a single box at Stratford, and then only when they were pretty short of one element - like both halves of a hinge as they are both running out.