Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What was the most ridiculous/absurd/embarrassing thing you have done to buy/get a LEGO set?

OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
edited April 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
I need some form of catharsis ...

Two years ago, I chanced upon an auction on our local e-bay site for a 7101 Lightsaber Duel, and quickly grabbed the opportunity to get it for the Qui Gon Jinn and, most especially, Darth Maul minifigs. So I placed my bid and waited on the last day so I could fire away with incremental bids to make sure I would get it. Unfortunately, I still didn't have permanent online access back then, so I had to go out to drive and find an Internet shop...but I was cautioned that it would not be secure.

As a last resort, I had to drive again and go to my elder brother's house and borrow (beg, actually) from my niece (who was currently using it for Farmville) their laptop so I could compete with the bidding. My poor niece had to relinquish the computer to me, as I sheepishly explained to her and her siblings what I was doing since they stilll found it weird that an adult was collecting toys and was buying one late at night.

Aside for groping for specific figs of the CMS while trying to suppress a grin, that would have been my most ridiculous predicament.

Comments

• SapmiSatanSapmiSatan Member Posts: 106
    I go to great lengths NOT to get into ridiculous/absurd/embarrassing situations, and I've pretty much succeeded, with CMs as the obvious exception. There are two situations I've been in that comes close to what you're describing:

In the Summer of 2009 I'd been visiting my aunt and uncle in Copenhagen. While there I had bought The Battle of Endor, as LEGO is slightly cheaper there, than in Norway. When it comes to LEGO, I can be rather impatient, and I built it there. When returning home I had to carry the assembled set in the box, in a garbage bag. Holding the box horizontal, to avoid the set breaking. I think you can imagine most of the challenges I faced. The one challenge I'm pretty sure you can't imagine was that on the plane I was getting on, there were two famous Norwegian singers(Madcon), who I hate, and, as I was carrying my box, I had to restrain myself from insulting them... sigh.

In the Summer of 2010, I had once again been to Denmark, more specifically, LEGOLAND. While I might enjoy building and collecting LEGO, this was not a particularly fun experience... Anyway, I bought the Death Star and I can certainly say, it was no walk in the park bringing that one home, we had to get a max
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 1,145
    Use company (work) time to snipe to win an auction on eBay. I'm one who does not like personal to mix with professional business. However, sometimes when an auctions ends doesn't coincide during my personal time.
  • PacotheDuckNinjaPacotheDuckNinja Member Posts: 5
    I once agreed to go and support my friend in a fight he got in, and nearly got in trouble with the cops. In exchange for my support, I got a skeleton horse.
  • FrodoFrodo Guest Posts: 2
    at BigW I wanted the toy story set the western train set.
    It wasn't on the shelf so I asked at the customer service if there were any in the back room or something (Once they had something I wanted there) so the lady at the desk made an announcement through the speakers asking for someone to come and help. My Mum was with me and she had some things to do so she wanted it to be quick. But it took about 10 minuets for the guy to come and he came and had a look for me which took about 20 minuets and it ended up not being there anyway so the whole thing was a waist of time!
  • TownTown Member Posts: 68
    Fisherman. Series 3. Hour and a half molesting packages in the Lego store.
  • PaulTRPaulTR Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2011
    I drove my parents crazy when I searched every store from Target to Walmart for the 7257 Ultimate Lightsaber Duel. I refused to give up the chase, and I spent days online looking for it. However, it was crazy popular and no one had it. I finally found it at a little store 25 miles from my house, and boy was I happy! But the funny thing is, after I finally managed to pick it up, I realize I didn't like the set very much. And the real kicker is, I picked it up at 40% more then what I should have payed for it! Oh, what a young fool I was!
  • Mr_MalfoyMr_Malfoy Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2011
    I once stayed up until 1:00 in the morning once to make sure I won an eBay auction on the Batman Penguin's Submarine set...
  • wander099wander099 Member Posts: 114
    Ah, the only thing I have done that was embarrassing is standing in Walmart for almost an hour feeling the CM packages. In that particular store the CMs were in the Lego aisle which was right in front of the doors to the stock room. So many people walked by and stared...