Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Starting some kinda Lego Kids Club

I KNOW this has been brought up before, but I can't find it anymore. I was looking for the kind of info and start up knowledge a library or school would need to start a Lego kids club at the elementary level. Very simplistic but more structured than having them whip bricks at each other and scream for an hour. Any thoughts or links?

Comments

• Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    Around here there is some organization called "Brickz4kidz" or something along those lines of spelling.

They are a club that comes to schools and does Lego related activities. Might be worth while doing some research.

Good luck
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    These are the only times it's been brought up to my knowledge.
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/10670/lego-club-for-kids-at-public-library-any-start-up-advice
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2095/starting-an-after-school-club
    There are a lot of different ways you could go with this; I'm interested to see how it turns out.
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    @DaSmokeEater I would suggest contacting Dave Xandegar over at Brixwerx. He and his son have a lot of experience doing library and school programs. I'm sure they would be willing to help you out.

You can contact them through their website:
    http://brixwerx.webs.com/

I hope everything works out for you!
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @LegoPodcaster the link isn't working mate. And I would like to gather some information about this as well prolly from people who have hands on experience with this.
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    @Coolsplash
    You can contact them at: [email protected]
  • 91stlegotrooper91stlegotrooper Member Posts: 92
    Advice, make sure not to have the word "Lego" in your club's name or you will be getting a phone call from Lego. I have personal experinces from the small club I help run.
  • QueenBQueenB Member Posts: 20
    Hello DaSmokeEater, apologies for the long post, I only just noticed this topic but I hope I can help. I run a weekly Lego club for 5 to 10 year-olds. I have learned a lot since I started about what does and doesn't work and now it goes really well.
    Firstly I gathered over 50kg of Lego for free by asking a local newspaper to put an ad in for people's old Lego for the club. This was fantastic but a huge amount of work sorting and cleaning. There was a lot of rubbish in there and of course the MegaBloks had to be fished out! I also got some funding from the school to get some extra pieces including enough large baseplates.
    Secondly, to be able to build decent models quickly without getting frustrated (very important for young children.) the bricks have to be sorted in some way, but you don't want to spend your life sorting them after each session. I decided to split them into 4 categories which has worked really well: bricks, slopes and arches in one big pile and most other parts on another (these are tipped onto 2 very large sheets which I tape to the floor by the corners and can easily be tipped back into the boxes) I also have a large shallow box for figures, accessories, doors, windows, plants and anything really useful which you want to find quickly, and another large shallow box for plates. These can easily be rummaged in without being tipped out.
    Next you must have a list of rules which you need to make clear each time about keeping parts sorted, no food and drink, no biting a brick off if it gets stuck are some of my rules.
    Things that worked and didn't work:
    building sets didn't work as they got quite bored with following instructions and it took too long even with simple sets.
    A simple theme each week works really well, vehicles, small buildings, food items, animals etc with a prize for the best model, I use minifigs and some little polybags. I mix in a few group project like each person makes a building to make up a town, or each person makes a shop to make up a mall. They love this. Also we made a tower up the ceiling which they loved too, each person makes separate sections to add on and tries to make them as beautiful as possible. Another group project was a model of the school which I started by drawing a scale plan on paper at home and allocating a section each. This ended up taking far too long and lots of them got bored. When I started the group at was 90 mins but this was too long as they start messing around towards the end when they lose concentration. 75 mins is ideal for younger children but you need to make sure the projects are short.
    I began with 15 children and an extra parent to help which was ok but difficult to get people to commit to helping so now 1 have 8 children on my own which works better.
    Each week I make some models at home to inspire them for the theme, show them new ways of joining bricks and introduce them to different types of bricks to try out. This really helps with their building.
    Often they want to work in pairs which they enjoy but they don't end up making much progress like this and if they work in 3s hardly anything gets done and someone always ends up doing nothing at all. We have done free building sometimes but they don't get as much out of it as they do when we do a project, also some children have trouble thinking of ideas.
    Sometimes it's a good idea to hide the figures as they can be very distracting. Some children just want to do role play with the figures and don't end up building anything which can be annoying.
    I also bring a large box of technical Lego in once a term for them to experiment with. I keep this completely separate from the rest.
    Sorry for rambling on and good luck with your club!
    skeet318DanGP91stlegotrooperDaSmokeEater