Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Grand Opening Minifigs - what would you design?

Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
edited June 2013 in Everything else LEGO
From both the anticipation of which minifigures would be given away with the min. spend at the recent Grand Opening of the Lego brand store in Glasgow (Scotland's 1st) and the subsequent discussions that followed after they were, I was inspired to open this thread.

One thing I realised is that store opening minifigs are made from existing Lego parts. There are limited to 300-500 per store so possibly that's why.
The idea is that they relate to the city or area where the store is located and aren't just random.

Anyway my idea is this:

1. Design 3 minifigures for a Grand Store opening using Lego parts from your own collection.
2. Say which store location it's for (could be an existing store or hoping for a store in that location).
3. Take a photo of your three minifigs and post!

Comments

• Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    Something specific to that store or city / country. I see Lego giving away the Lego Store with each grand opening, to me that loses some of the appeal. It's just a generic token. They should take some time, and put some thought into it. Make it unique to the store.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,327
    edited June 2013

Something specific to that store or city / country. I see Lego giving away the Lego Store with each grand opening, to me that loses some of the appeal. It's just a generic token. They should take some time, and put some thought into it. Make it unique to the store.

Should LEGO listen to that statement...

If When the Kentucky LEGO store has its grand opening, the first 100 in line will get an exclusive LEGO Log Cabin store, with a redneck on a rocking chair gracing the front porch. Kentucky pride.
    rancorbaitBumblepants
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 550
    samiam391 said:

If When the Kentucky LEGO store has its grand opening, the first 100 in line will get an exclusive LEGO Log Cabin store, with a redneck on a rocking chair gracing the front porch. Kentucky pride.

What, not Colonel Sanders?
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    ^^^ @Brick_Obsession what 3 minifigures specifically would you design for a particular brand store opening though? It doesn't have to be for where you live, could be for a favourite location.

Yes, specific and unique to the store, that's the point but what 3 figures would you create and who or what would they represent? Who or what would you choose to represent that specific store? What's that location known for and which minifigure parts and accessories would you use to convey that?

^ @SilentMode which minifigure parts would you use for Colonel Sanders then? I'm guessing a chicken leg and or chicken piece would feature. What would the other two figures be?
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 550
    ^ I don't know much about Kentucky, but I'd probably go with a jockey and a banjo player for the other two figures. Colonel Sanders would naturally be wielding a turkey leg.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    The three minifigures from the Freehold, NJ opening this weekend at the Freehold Raceway Mall are racing related. Nice set of figures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/murphquake/9125425760/
    indigobox
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 675
    edited June 2013
    ^the "raceway" is a horse racing track, across the street from the mall, not a car race course. LEGO fail
    http://www.freeholdraceway.com
  • scottwb2010scottwb2010 ScotlandMember Posts: 239

^the "raceway" is a horse racing track, across the street from the mall, not a car race course. LEGO fail

And I'm curious as to the guy in the mail uniform with the life ring being racing related???

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,548
    And the space guy with the conical flask.

Checking for horse drug doping?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,955
    I would design something that related to the city where the store was, or failing that just throw in some random figs that can be built from the BAM bins and hope no-one noticed...
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2013
    See this is exactly it - a mail man with orange legs and an inflatable ring. Its like something you find abandoned at a BAM bar. And the green/white torso was used in both Manchester and Sheffield and at least one other US store IIRC. And the mechanic that was so (un- as it happened) related to the freehold store was exactly the same as used in the Des Peres store.

Is it the shear number of store opening that mean LEGO just doesn't care so much? Its noticable, looking through them at http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Promotional&subtheme=LEGO Store Grand Opening Set , that the continental Europe ones seem to have a bit more thought go into them.
    Saarbrucken is in there twice, one time with the same figs as Essen.

I think it would have been nice to have one figure as a standard in every pack - maybe a guy with a lego brick on his jumper. Or maybe with "LEGO STORE" printed on him, or even a reproduction of a lego employee top. With the torso only available at store openings.

Then the other two at least related to the store.
    andhe
  • scottwb2010scottwb2010 ScotlandMember Posts: 239
    @CCC I noticed Essen and Saarbrucken 2 was the same as well. The exact same was also used for Colorado. What I did noticed was, that there was no Grand opening with store name on these boxes or the number per 300 or 500. Also I think the Saarbrucken one was a separate give away a year after there was the Grand Opening.

And @cheshirecat the green torso has been used 6 times and at least 3 of those times the minifig was the exact same ie hat, head, legs and camera.

So this is why @Lego_Star set up this thread for us fans to create more realistic minifigures that relate with the town/city/area that the shop is in. Time to get creative. :-)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,617
    How about an angry skinhead with a black eye and a broken beer bottle for Glasgow? ;)
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147

So this is why @Lego_Star set up this thread for us fans to create more realistic minifigures that relate with the town/city/area that the shop is in. Time to get creative. :-)

Exactly. Time to get creative. Thanks @scottwb2010.
    Lego_Star said:

My idea for this thread is:

1. Design 3 minifigures for a Grand Store opening using Lego parts from your own collection.
    2. Say which store location it's for (could be an existing store or hoping for a store in that location).
    3. Take a photo of your three minifigs and post!

edited June 2013
    I'm from York, and although it is unlikely we would ever get a store, in the spirit of the thread ...

Roman Emperor - Constantine
    Viking
    Plantagenet King - maybe Richard III

But given what they have been dishing up, more likely is a regular city guy (definitely not a girl!) eating a reddish brown 2x1 tile (a lego Yorkie).
    Lego_Star