Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rebel Pilots

cswacswa Member Posts: 8
edited June 2013 in Everything else LEGO
Someone probably figured this out and I am most likely late to the party, but could someone please explain to me why LEGO refuses to include any famous Rebel pilots in their starfighter models? Over the years we've gradually had Biggs in the very first X-Wing (made sense) but it took 7 more years until Wedge was made a figure in 6212, but for some reason Porkins is the only other pilot in 9493? Not just the X-Wing models either; snowspeeders have been difficult. It's always been Luke and Dack, tripping the AT-ATs when that was clearly Wedge's thing; Zev Senesca made the Wampa Cave but I just find it unbelievably deliberate excluding Wedge or anyone else for that matter. If someone has an answer I'd be very grateful, or at least a decent way to acquire a Wedge minifigure since I am again, new at this.

Comments

• binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    edited June 2013
    cswa said:

Someone probably figured this out and I am most likely late to the party, but could someone please explain to me why LEGO refuses to include any famous Rebel pilots in their starfighter models?

I imagine it's because there aren't many famous Rebel pilots outside of the main characters.

I am surprised there hasn't been more than one Wedge, because he was in all three movies, but the others are relatively minor (with the possible exception of Biggs if you're watching the Special Edition, etc.). Really, though, it's not that difficult to make an updated Wedge. Use the most recent pilot torso and legs, an appropriate head (for example, one of the two below), and the existing helmet.

http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=4634079
    http://www.brickset.com/parts/?part=4296305

Biggs is more difficult because while his helmet is available, a suitable flesh-colored head is not.
  • cswacswa Member Posts: 8
    I can see it, and I agree with your examples to make the named pilots "stand out" outside of their helmet (which was the biggest problem with the Wedge fig from 6212) I guess my biggest problem with it was that they added Jek Porkins to the last X-wing model over Wedge. While I initially found his inclusion hilarious it just bugs me that they print out a face and helmet for the first guy to die in the battle of Yavin but skip over (in my opinion) is a logical choice. It has always been a personal annoyance of mine that for every snowspeeder model they credit the AT-AT tipping to Luke since he's the only pilot ever included in one. To me it's an instance where if including Zev Senesca in the battle pack and the Hoth Wampa Cave is justified Wedge should be a shoe-in at some point.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    cswa said:

Someone probably figured this out and I am most likely late to the party, but could someone please explain to me why LEGO refuses to include any famous Rebel pilots in their starfighter models? Over the years we've gradually had Biggs in the very first X-Wing (made sense) but it took 7 more years until Wedge was made a figure in 6212, but for some reason Porkins is the only other pilot in 9493? Not just the X-Wing models either; snowspeeders have been difficult. It's always been Luke and Dack, tripping the AT-ATs when that was clearly Wedge's thing; Zev Senesca made the Wampa Cave but I just find it unbelievably deliberate excluding Wedge or anyone else for that matter. If someone has an answer I'd be very grateful, or at least a decent way to acquire a Wedge minifigure since I am again, new at this.

To call them minor characters is an exagerration. They're glorified extras for the most part. Aside from Biggs and Wedge the rest aren't even directly identified by name in the films. It would be nice to get a new version of Biggs but Wedge has been done and was available in one of the longest-running sets of all time. As a result he's easy to obtain since there are a lot of Wedge figures floating around and it's not that expensive.

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    prof1515 said:

cswa said:

Aside from Biggs and Wedge the rest aren't even directly identified by name in the films.
    Not that I disagree with your 'glorified extras' assessment, but Porkins, Dack and Hobbie are all directly identified, in spite of the fact that two of them are utterly useless.

To the topic's point, I'd love a lot more helmets to turn up, but I don't necessarily think Wedge, Hobbie, Zev and Dack all need unique face prints. Biggs and Porkins have more distinct facial features (read: facial hair), so I think the unique face prints there are merited. And, as prof mentioned, a new Biggs would be nice. I still have my original, but he obviously looks out of place versus all the 'fleshies.'
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 664
    No one's mentioned Dutch Vander (Gold Leader) in #7658 and #9495 Y-Wings?

The pilot in #75003 A-Wing appears to be Tyco Celchu

The pilot in #75010 B-Wing could be Keyan Farlander.

Yeah, it's annoying that they keep re-releasing "generic rebel pilot with blue Rebel symbol helmet" that I guess is supposed to be Dack, but they've pretty much gotten all the main pilots who are named in the film. Biggs could stand a re-release. I'd like to get Red Leader, Hobbie Klivian, Corran Horn, and Grizz Frix for variety sake.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    Stay on target. I think their offerings of viable DS run pilots are just a peckin' on the surface.

Most of these pilots get their traction in the Expanded Universe, which I'm fond of...but is questionably DOA with Ep7. If you want a Tycho or Farlander, name one of your randos. That's what I do.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    GIR3691 said:

The pilot in #75003 A-Wing appears to be Tyco Celchu

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Arvel Crynyd.

y2josh
  • 91stlegotrooper91stlegotrooper Member Posts: 92
    ^It is suppose to be Arvel Crynyd. He Green Leader during the Battle of Endor and is the one who destroyed the Super Star Destroyer.
    y2josh said:

Not that I disagree with your 'glorified extras' assessment, but Porkins, Dack and Hobbie are all directly identified, in spite of the fact that two of them are utterly useless.

Actually, only Dack is directly identified. Hobbie's name is mentioned twice but without an response or visual cue as to whom Luke is referring. Luke speaks with Wedge and Wedge mentions his gunner's name: Jansen. Luke speaks to Rogue 2 whom fans know as Zev but he is never called by name. He's always "Rogue 2".

In Episode IV two Y-Wing pilots are named by Gold 5, Tyree and Hutch, though there is no indication in the film as to which is which.
    edited July 2013
    That should read "only Dack and Porkins". Not sure why I forgot the "and Porkins". As an aside, the next line should read "any response", not "an response". I hate this keyboard.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 664
    binaryeye said:

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Arvel Crynyd.

Hmm. I thought that pilot was Tyco. Too much EU on the brain I suppose.
    Actually, only Dack is directly identified. Hobbie's name is mentioned twice but without an response or visual cue as to whom Luke is referring. Luke speaks with Wedge and Wedge mentions his gunner's name: Jansen. Luke speaks to Rogue 2 whom fans know as Zev but he is never called by name. He's always "Rogue 2".

In Episode IV two Y-Wing pilots are named by Gold 5, Tyree and Hutch, though there is no indication in the film as to which is which.

Actually, Hobbie is directly identified. He is the pilot on Hoth that said "What are two fighters against a Star Destroyer.
    ^Sorry, made a mistake with quote.
    edited July 2013

Actually, Hobbie is directly identified. He is the pilot on Hoth that said "What are two fighters against a Star Destroyer.

No, that's not a direct identification because nothing in the movie points to that being Hobbie. No one addresses him in that scene as Hobbie and the two times that Luke uses the name there is no cut to him hence there is nothing in the film to indicate his identity. It may or may not say that in the script or novelization (not sure about either; it's been a long time since I read them) but that's irrelevant as there are contradictions between those and the actual film.
    I still find it unusual we haven't seen a Hoth set with a Wedge/Janson combo in a snowspeeder set. It just seems like too great a detail that they were the two that took down the only AT-AT using tow cables. I don't think fans would mind a Janson figure either; he's fairly explored in the EU as well. It'd be nice if they included more pilots/customization options with the X-wing sets.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    cswa said:

I still find it unusual we haven't seen a Hoth set with a Wedge/Janson combo in a snowspeeder set. It just seems like too great a detail that they were the two that took down the only AT-AT using tow cables. I don't think fans would mind a Janson figure either; he's fairly explored in the EU as well. It'd be nice if they included more pilots/customization options with the X-wing sets.

Firstly, @prof1515, I somehow got Hobbie and Janson reversed in my head so that one was my bad.

To the above quoted, the problem with making a Wedge/Janson snowspeeder (or any other Rebel pilot-centric sets) is that, presuming kids are the target audience, most don't care about these secondary characters. So, while I'd love to see all of Red/Rogue Squadron show up in sets, I think the best we can hope for is more of what they've done so far, with some random pilot showing up in a set with Luke.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    With kids a target audience, I agree that we'll not see many more minifigs for most of the rebel fleet. Now, what will be interesting is to see how the Star Wars: Rebels cartoon might change this conversation. The variance in helmets for Clone Wars troopers really exploded due to the cartoon. I'm hoping that this new cartoon will make the inclusion and sales of rebel minifigs an easier "sell" to TLG.

I was big into the Decipher collectible card game, and I've wanted to be able to do a Lego minifig display that would include the character cards from the ST:CCG in the display... those cards always shared a nice back story and image of the characters. Btw, reading this thread has rekindled my hope that the new cartoon will offer a few more pilots to the minifigure line-up :)
    That was my reaction as well, though it will be interesting to see how they establish characters in Rebels, if they simply will be acting out what the EU has established or making up their own concepts and which characters will be included. As long as we don't get any minifigures that have the animated look like the Clone Wars I would be satisfied.

Perhaps I just have an odd fascination with Rebel Pilots (still waiting for the new Planet Sets to appear on LEGO in the US, though) but it'd be nice if they could throw the big kids a bone by putting one, two in there just for us fans.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    krklint said:

I was big into the Decipher collectible card game, and I've wanted to be able to do a Lego minifig display that would include the character cards from the ST:CCG in the display... those cards always shared a nice back story and image of the characters

I have always wondered why I held onto all my Decipher cards, now I know.

Full credit to you for the idea, a really crappy mock up that I spent about 30 seconds on. Will have to order shallower cubes and get some better sleeves for the cards, but hell of a good idea. Consider the idea stolen... er, borrowed ;)