Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

the LEGO movie 2014 teaser trailer now out!

Comments

• canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 330
    This is much different than I expected, but still looks to be cheeky.
  • jeremy1973jeremy1973 Member Posts: 50
    That looks cool.
  • BrixyBrixy United statesMember Posts: 57
    Thanks. Looks like great fun.
  • TinKnockerHimesTinKnockerHimes Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    Looks Like a good one for my Daughter!!

and I might like it too... :P
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Looks well animated, exciting and full of quirky details!
    Perijove
  • skeet318skeet318 Banned Posts: 375
    Dibs on the fellow straight out the Bible.
    ^Morgan Freeman!?!?
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 664
    This looks like it's turning out to be awesome. Love the writing and casting choices.
  • spacefan6901spacefan6901 Member Posts: 17
    The preview is on the requested play list for "Monsters University" opening June 20th in the USA. So you might be able to see it on the big screen if your local theatre shows a lot of previews. (I work at a movie theatre and spotted this tonight.)
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 113

full of quirky details!

I especially liked the acknowledgement of the reality of Classic Space helmets!

The_Mack
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ Yes, 80's Space Guy was really funny...
    FollowsCloselyPerijove
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 950

^ Yes, 80's Space Guy was really funny...

Love the broken helmet.

Perijove
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 113

Love the broken helmet.

Exactly, haha!

• SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 568
    I also like the ghost disintegrating into ice cream scoops as it "poofs" out of sight.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    They should make a lego version of the star wars movies.
    91stlegotrooper
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 568
    Also, can anyone tell me anything about the panda minifig visible in the center of the screen from 0:24-0:26? It definitely does not look like the either of the Fabuland panda figures.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 786
    This movie looks excellent. Very surprised but not disappointed by the casting choices.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    Looks absolutely brilliant, a lot different from what I was expecting, in a good way. Can't wait for this.

How much are we betting there's some sort of minifig giveaway tied to this?
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,283
    Looks fantastic. I was anticipating animation much like the Yoda Chronicles etc. but this looks perfect.
    rancorbait
  • nonexnonex Member Posts: 15
    The animation is marvellous. It looks like it's trying to imitate stop-motion - choppy, with dropped frames - and the look of moulded plastic. Look at the builder's hat while he's on the phone in close-up - amazing. The slick and shiny cheap CGI of official LEGO web shorts and TV shows is not present at all. They minifigures do not even articulate at the knees etc at all! I LOVE IT!
    T_Lars
  • kyrotekkyrotek Southampton, UKMember Posts: 212
    Can hardly wait to see this one, looks awesome but notice Warner Brothers using DC Superheroes line and blocking the Marvel side? Made me chuckle.

@SirBen that is most likely to be a Chima Panda warrior.

Anyone thing the Prophet characters staff is nod to chewed Lego parts?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,288
    Looks great, impressive voice talent too. Hope Shaq gets some lines, since his jersey was featured and the other two were generic could be the reason why. Will be fun to see what sets come out of this.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 865
    Can't wait for the Emmett Minifig to come out. image
    I'm definitely picking him up.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Yeah I am sure it will be with the movie bluray may be the first one I open up and watch.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,905
    I also love that the music is a riff on "Take on Me". This looks like it could be fantastic. Definitely digging the animation style.
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    I like that the "backgrounds" are all made of Lego, as opposed to all the other Lego animation I've seen where its just animated minifigs in a regular looking world.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,262
    pharmjod said:

I also love that the music is a riff on "Take on Me". This looks like it could be fantastic. Definitely digging the animation style.

It's the remixed breakdown from the Pitbull and Christina Aguilera song thats out now "Feel This Moment"

• RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 369
    edited June 2013
    I think I'm going to find this more amusing than my kids will. I think they are still too young for most of the Lego references. Have to use it as an instructional video!
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 420
    So, to be clear, is it stop motion, or all CGI?
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    I think it's all CGI - there is no logo on the studs, and certainly the main Movie title has been revealed to be a render by a LEGO designer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcosbessa/8580153143/in/photostream/) - there are plenty of non-available pieces.

But it seems to have been animated as if it's stop motion.
    Yes CGI. Done by the same Sydney production house that did Happy Feet. My mate has been working on it but so far has refused to tell me A SINGLE THING. Grrrr
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Funny And a Lot of licenses' mentioned. Looks like the Main Character is an Ambulance Driver...?
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    The white NBA players have yellow skin? They re-opened that can of worms? :D
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    "I only work in black..and sometimes in very very dark gray.." It cracks me up everytime I hear it hehe.
    It looks better than I expected, film seem to appeal not only kids but also adults which I like. Much like cartoons nowadays, whereas in past their main concern was the kids audience, today's cartoons are made to appeal to much larger age groups. This film has potential to be a great success, you don't see LEGO movies often. Plus the cast is amazing.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,905
    graphite said:

pharmjod said:

It's the remixed breakdown from the Pitbull and Christina Aguilera song thats out now "Feel This Moment"

Since A ha predates those two "musicians" I'm gonna just keep singing "Take On Me" when I hear it ;)

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,262
    ^ Well it is A-ha so thats fine. I was just sourcing the specific track used in the trailer.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861
    This looks like it's going to be a fantastic movie. I was already expecting a great, humorous story with lots of insight into the LEGO building and play experience from descriptions we got of the story in various news articles, but the trailer helps convince me that the animation style and humor will be absolutely wonderful. And of course there are wonderful LEGO references any AFOL can appreciate.

I just hope critics take it seriously and don't dismiss it as a cash-in. With the success of certain movies like Transformers, that may be less of an issue, but then again, Transformers does a good job "hiding" its roots as a toy line with a visual style that would be perfectly at home in any big-budget sci-fi movie (the first three BIONICLE movies did similarly, stylizing the characters a great deal). Movies and shows where the characters look just like the toys often are faced with a lot more scrutiny.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,111
    I think this will be a hit. They have been talking about this for a number of years now and overall I think they knew what they wanted to make and for it to be successful. I am greatly looking forward to this; just from the teaser and posted and a few other tid bits here and there it looks awesome.
  • 91stlegotrooper91stlegotrooper Member Posts: 92
    General theme seems like that of the Hobbit. Some unimportant guy meets some old magical guy and has to go to some unexpected meeting to disscus something evil, than has to go on an unexpected journey. Awesome
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,550

General theme seems like that of the Hobbit. Some unimportant guy meets some old magical guy and has to go to some unexpected meeting to disscus something evil, than has to go on an unexpected journey. Awesome

That's pretty much the standard template for any hero's journey as per Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a thousand faces" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces).
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303

Yep, can't wait. It's a great story.

• brickboilerbrickboiler Member Posts: 9
    My wife took the kids to see Monsters U this morning. She said they showed the trailer for the Lego Movie. Same trailer, just on the big screen..
    Well if Will Ferrell is in it, its gotta be good.
    Is this a new gun? I don't recognise it.
    Looks mighty greebletastic to me.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,288
    ^ Might just be the mutilated appendage of an old Technic figure? haha