Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[UK] Tube Maps by Lego; as in London Underground

dfurndfurn Member Posts: 194
edited June 2013 in Everything else LEGO
I'm somewhat surprised this hasn't been mentioned to date. Unless it has?

Installed a couple of days ago at various stations there are now five Lego Tube Maps at London Underground stations. They show the system at various stages in it's development: 1927, 1933, 1968, 2013 and, most intriguingly, 2020.

Here's a BBC News item about the maps

I popped to visit all of the maps yesterday and one thing I found amusing was the number of people who were looking at them trying to get directions from them. I had a hard time explaining to a Spanish-speaking gentleman that the map he was studying was the system from 1968:

Also the 2020 map has no large sign to indicate that that's what it is:

Anyhow I took some close-ups so people could see how they were done:

kezLostInTranslationMinifigsMeSi_UKNZ

Comments

• dfurndfurn Member Posts: 194
    Oh and there's also this:

• AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Very cool!
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Nice! Don't forget to mind the gap.
    edited June 2013
    I think the leaflets are quite desirable especially the one that's shaped like a brick. Here's another another photo of them:

Replying to my own thread here again but I have managed to find a PDF of the Lego Underground Roundel and it's here. I guess this isn't an official Lego release (although Lego are plugging the maps on their Facebook pages. I suppose it's a kind of official MOC. I wonder if anyone who has a lot of time on their hands could work out a part list as I'd quite like to get the pieces for my son to build!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,553
    http://www.london24.com/news/transport/amazing_lego_recreations_of_tube_maps_unveiled_1_2233272

The above link was posted on the Brickish forum. Duncan Titchmarsh did the maps :-)
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    dfurn said:

I wonder if anyone who has a lot of time on their hands could work out a part list as I'd quite like to get the pieces for my son to build!

There's a parts list at the end of the instructions - one part that's not clear from the combined parts list or on page parts list, is that the 1 x 1 brick has studs on two sides (not just one as it looks like in the lists).

cmrt1014 said:

dfurn said:

I wonder if anyone who has a lot of time on their hands could work out a part list as I'd quite like to get the pieces for my son to build!

There's a parts list at the end of the instructions - one part that's not clear from the combined parts list or on page parts list, is that the 1 x 1 brick has studs on two sides (not just one as it looks like in the lists).

Hi sorry my previous post was not too clear. I was thinking of ordering the peices off pick a brick, but I'm not sure of the precise Lego part references especially the correct colours. That's my problem!
    Ok, that I can do - give me a few minutes...
    Here you go. It does not appear that PAB has the 1/4 round bricks available (I didn't get farther that trying to find them in Bright Red. And the brick with 2 studs wasn't available in the darker gray. The other Element IDs are: 302023 (Plate 2 x 4), 306823 (Tile 2 x 2), 4560180 (Tile 2 x 4), 306921 (Tile 1 x 2), 4243797 (Plate 4 x 4), 4211094 (Plate 2 x 2), 4211119 (Plate 1 x 2 with jumper), 4249139 (Brick round 2 x 2), and 4213567 (Brick w/ studs 2 sides - this one is for the lighter gray version). These numbers will get the part in the color shown on the instructions.

HTH.
    Ok, I found the number for the red round corner brick: 4215466.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,585
    dfurn said:

Replying to my own thread here again but I have managed to find a PDF of the Lego Underground Roundel and it's here. I guess this isn't an official Lego release (although Lego are plugging the maps on their Facebook pages. I suppose it's a kind of official MOC. I wonder if anyone who has a lot of time on their hands could work out a part list as I'd quite like to get the pieces for my son to build!

I thought about it, but decided to go on strike instead.
    SilentMode
    Two corrections: I think that the blue tiles are actually dark blue (BL color names), and so the number are 4569836 (2 x 4 Tile) and 4587905 (2 x 2 Tile). My apologies for the errors.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 350
    I'm surprised LEGO went all out and provided what looks like printed tiles and not stickers. Now if only they could do that for more sets they sell.

I think those crooked 1x1 tiles in the close up pictures are going to set off the OCD of some people.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    Saw the South Kensington one today as its my work stop. Very impressive and looks great. I grabbed the leaflets which were not on display. If anyone is interested in some copies please let me know and I will try my best to get some more.
    cmrt1014 said:

Two corrections: I think that the blue tiles are actually dark blue (BL color names), and so the number are 4569836 (2 x 4 Tile) and 4587905 (2 x 2 Tile). My apologies for the errors.

Wow I'm so impressed @cmrt1014 thanks for coming up with all the part numbers! One thing though I can't find 4587905 being the dark blue 2 x 2 tile on BL.
    edited June 2013
    Sorry, must have mis-pasted: It's 4205004.

PM me if you'd like to learn how to find these. It's not hard - more like a treasure hunt.

Enjoy.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844

I'm surprised LEGO went all out and provided what looks like printed tiles and not stickers. Now if only they could do that for more sets they sell.

I think those crooked 1x1 tiles in the close up pictures are going to set off the OCD of some people.

I'm pretty sure minifigsforlife made the tiles. And as Lucy said Brightbricks made the maps. Basically Lego outsourced it all!
    cmrt1014 said:

Sorry, must have mis-pasted: It's 4205004.

PM me if you'd like to learn how to find these. It's not hard - more like a treasure hunt.

Enjoy.

Thanks again for this. Yes I'm getting the idea that it's like a treasure hunt. If I get stuck any further I'll get in contact by pm to save boring everyone else!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I see we won't even have a tube line by 2020, not even a Lego one.