The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

[US] Amazon: LEGO Creator Expert Winter Village Cottage 10229 - $91

VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
edited June 2013 in Shopping USA/Canada
I was yet to buy a winter village set ,since my philosophy has been to buy licensed sets simply cos there is more to relate for me plus they usually seem a tad better finished/detailed + of-course the modulars . This one however caught my eye two weeks back and looked definitely above par. The color scheme is very pretty and nearly 1500 pieces means plenty of detail . I felt it was a good buy at $100 but last night when i saw it slip to $91 , i snagged it immediately : )
jadedanc

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,283
    edited June 2013
    Coincidentally, I was opening a backlog of orders last night, and one of them was a box of Winter Village Cottages I had purchased from Amazon on Feb. 3rd. The price was $78.12.

I just looked up the pricing history, and that was the all-time low, lasted only a day, and hasn't really been on discount until this $91 price. Anyhow, my point wasn't to rub it in, but to inform that such a discount is possible.
    madforLEGOPitfall69
  • absolut3absolut3 Member Posts: 82
    It was also possible to pick these up for $50 at the Lego store if you live near one. This was several months ago though. Maybe another discount early next year.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    It's a very good set and imho, worth RRP and even a bit more. I think the only flaw with this set was that they should have packaged the outlying buildings as some kind of holiday battle pack, and reduced the price to match the previous sets in the series.

I know we've discussed this before, but it's worth impressing to those on the fence that this is a good 4.6-rated set. Plus, it's fun to write "holiday battle pack."
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,457
    @rocao. I grabbed 2 that day as well. You can't beat that.
    tensor said:

It's a very good set and imho, worth RRP and even a bit more. I think the only flaw with this set was that they should have packaged the outlying buildings as some kind of holiday battle pack, and reduced the price to match the previous sets in the series.

I know we've discussed this before, but it's worth impressing to those on the fence that this is a good 4.6-rated set. Plus, it's fun to write "holiday battle pack."

The "battle pack" was the holiday give away last year.

• VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Wow 78 quid is awesome indeed for this . I missed this back then , there were just so many others on the priority list. Must admit I can't complain even when I buy these at retail . Every set I buy has to fly 5000 miles or so to where I am and if I were to buy this set locally I am very certain the price would be $220 for the cottage . Now does that make you guys feel lucky or what : )
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    @Vortex said: Every set I buy has to fly 5000 miles or so to where I am and if I were to buy this set locally I am very certain the price would be $220 for the cottage . Now does that make you guys feel lucky or what : )

Lucky? I'm not sure. It all depends on if you live at the far end of nowhere or in some tropical paradise.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,541
    I would have liked to see the LEGO store that had these at $50 dollars..
    I saw them get to 30% off but not 50%
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    edited June 2013
    @legoMom1- Alas it ain't no paradise though it is a pretty place surrounded by green hills and pretty people , ... I would happily trade for cheap Lego nevertheless : )
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    My Lego store sold out at rrp a few days before Christmas, so we didn't get any sale at all on these there
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Totally agree with @Vortex about the being lucky part alongwith the green hills and pretty pretty people :D

• bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 453

I would have liked to see the LEGO store that had these at $50 dollars..
    I saw them get to 30% off but not 50%

The Lego Store at Rockefeller (NYC) had them at 50%. I posted it at the time.
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/170550/#Comment_170550
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,906
    I remember paying 20 bucks for this the day it came out! I returned a set for 50 and I used a 10% off coupon and I used what VIP point balance I had. That's an ultimate score
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ I suppose you can spin it any way you like, but in truth you purchased it for about $103. Not quite the ultimate score :P
    Goldfreekadol7LegoFanTexas
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA I don't care! I still win! More Lego for me.
    ^I get the excitement, but I believe what @gmpirate is trying to point out, using points and such are still just another form of currency. You may have pulled out only $20 cash from your pocket that day, but your overall net worth still went down by about $103 :)

It's actually what Lego, or anyone who provides point redemption things, wants you to think. They want you to think it's free money so you buy more as a result.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    And this is why our country is $16 Trillion in debt, because so many people have no idea whatsoever how money actually works.

And they don't care...
    kylejohnson11
    Listen, I get it. I had a 50 dollar set, plus my 20, is 70 bucks right there. I used 10% off so thats what 10 bucks? So I used 20 bucks worth of VIP points, if you want to be technical, how much did I have to spend to get that? So yeah, I know I didnt "spend 20 bucks" to get the set and your naiive and incompetent if you think thats what I thought or was saying. I was just expressing my excitement for the transaction and thought I'd share it with fellow bricksetters and not be lambasted for it. Good company thanks!
    LegoFanTexasindigobox
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,094

And this is why our country is $16 Trillion in debt, because so many people have no idea whatsoever how money actually works.

And they don't care...

Shouldn't you add "...as I look over at the stacks of un-sold Atlantis and Death Star sets."
    LegoFanTexasYellowcastle
    Actually, almost all of both are gone... 6 months ago it was true, but now it no longer is.

With the trades I've done recently, I'm down to just 12 DS left. The Atlantis stuff is almost completely gone as well, maybe two dozen sets left, nothing compared to what it was.

Listen, I get it. I had a 50 dollar set, plus my 20, is 70 bucks right there. I used 10% off so thats what 10 bucks? So I used 20 bucks worth of VIP points, if you want to be technical, how much did I have to spend to get that? So yeah, I know I didnt "spend 20 bucks" to get the set and your naiive and incompetent if you think thats what I thought or was saying. I was just expressing my excitement for the transaction and thought I'd share it with fellow bricksetters and not be lambasted for it. Good company thanks!

I can only respond to what is posted, and the general attitude that you first posted is real and common among way too many people.

And BTW, it is "you're", not "your". It is such a common mistake, there is a web site for it.

http://www.yourvsyoure.com/
    piratemania7
    Ok, guys. See, this is why we need to go off topic once in awhile to talk about video games.
    BumblepantsLegoFanTexaspiratemania7thenosPenkid11
    edited June 2013

I remember paying 20 bucks for this the day it came out!

I'm guessing you were responding to my comment, on a comment on a comment, but not unlike LFT, I can only respond to what I read. It wasn't a lambasting (really, look that word up), it was actually a helpful comment for people to remember that it's all about the total picture. Hey, it's human. I feel the same way when I reach in a winter coat and pull out a $20. Did my net worth go up $20? No, but it sure seems like it at the time.

LegoFanTexas
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited June 2013
    I'm with @piratemania7 on this one. Even though LFT & @Tensor are right :) I don't think it means that one has "no idea whatsoever how money actually works."

Just last week I used a $100 gift card to purchase a discounted Horison Express that was $111.xx and It " felt" like I only spent $11.xx. which was great.

As soon as I recived the (unexpected) gift card I was always going to spend it on Lego and as $100 of my HE purchase (a set which I was always going to buy) came from said gift card it meant I could spend $100 more on other Lego (or anything else) than I would have before I recived the gift card.
    piratemania7
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    ^ So spending said $100 on lego meant that your "lego" net worth increased $100, which in the end is all that really matters.
    Let's get back to the cottage shall we? heat up some hot cocoa by the fire?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,637
    Personally I like that set, while there are many 1x1 tiles, it is is a lot of parts, minifig, accessories, etc with a nice color pallet. Reminds me of #10193, nice as it is or for MOC.
    Can't wait to see #10235 Winter Village Market...

^ So spending said $100 on lego meant that your "lego" net worth increased $100, which in the end is all that really matters.

There's something rotten in Denmark (well...US) and it is the Lego minifigure I just dropped in the toilet. I "figure" my Lego net worth dropped about $2.99.

edited June 2013
    "In pee or not in pee; that is the question"

Tis it nobler to suffer the loss of this Lego or should I take my arm and plunge it into the sea of pee?

I like the Winter Village Cottage a lot, but not at RRP. I hope Lego keeps churning these sets out every year.

edited June 2013
    ^And a similar wish that they do so with Halloween sets as well. I want a haunted town to go along with my Haunted House.
    edited June 2013
    Since Zombies are so popular, they just need to put out "zombified" buildings. Maybe a modular insane asylum, hospital or a prison with a morgue.
    edited June 2013

When you referred to your purchase -- which ultimately amounted to only 10% off -- as the "ultimate score" that didn't demonstrate that you "get it", so I don't really fault anyone for pointing that out, particularly since doing so may help clarify it for others who incorrectly come away with the idea that the set had an overall cost of $20 for you.

And LFT's political, socio-economical commentary aside, I don't really see that people were lambasting you, and definitely not as much as you calling people "incompetent", "naive", or responding in this fashion:

rocao said:

When you referred to your purchase -- which ultimately amounted to only 10% off -- as the "ultimate score" that didn't demonstrate that you "get it", so I don't really fault anyone for pointing that out, particularly since doing so may help clarify it for others who incorrectly come away with the idea that the set had an overall cost of $20 for you.

And LFT's political, socio-economical commentary aside, I don't really see that people were lambasting you, and definitely not as much as you calling people "incompetent", "naive", or responding in this fashion:

Listen, rocao, who do you think you are? Really? Honestly? That's all I want to know. You come here DAYS after the fact and have to re-hash something that is already water under the bridge. It wasn't even that big of a deal, but you come strolling in and make it an even bigger deal.

Is it because you are an Admin? A LEGO officianado? Because I don't really care, I'm sure no one does to be quite honest with you.

If anything, YOU are the instigator here and the one pushing buttons, that kind of contradicts the whole "moderator" "administrator" description now doesn't it?

It actually kind of hurts, and I mean that in a grown up professional kind of way. I thought the spirit here is to foster growth and discussion amongst the greater LEGO community, not demean people and put them down for their comments when I have already gone back to explain that it was just out of pure excitement.

I'm not going to argue with you, repost to this, delete my account, do what you want, it really just disgusts me that you think you can write and treat people that way. I hope you "feel" better about yourself and getting it off your chest whatever it was.

And do not EVER, EVER try to dictate whether someone writes a word and if it has the correct meaning for the situation or not. Pull up the English PhD or and then we can talk. Until then, have fun with LEGO and might I add you are mean, wrong, and just down right rude. I hope those words were "fitting" and "accurate" for someone as low as you.
    :) My political, socio-economical commentary reply was a snarky reply to a snarky comment. :)

I'm opinionated, hold the presses! :)

Everyone on the Interwebs needs a thick skin, should be a requirement to get an Interweb connection. :)
    piratemania7
    ^Don't worry @LegoFanTexas. Every Winter Village needs its "idiot" ;)
    piratemania7
    Well...this thread has gone haywire. Although, it was entertaining.

I guess unless this particular set goes on sale again, I don't think we should continue "bumping" it.
    edited June 2013
    @piratemania7: I have just returned from vacation and read this for the first time today. Your post that I highlighted is merely two days old, so I don't think that protects it by some statute of limitations, particularly when the hypocrisy, sarcasm, and downright rudeness of your post was not adequately addressed.

As a moderator, I am charged with keeping the peace, but that doesn't always mean remaining silent. If my rebuke will deter you from future transgressions, I think a dust-up here is worth the future greater good.

It's convenient for you to say it's water under the bridge, and I suppose you truly feel that way, but I read neither an apology nor a retraction. It's not sufficient to excuse your petulance under the guise of excitement -- just as you did in the VIP keychain thread -- and that is what I am addressing, nothing else. I did not say you misunderstood "lambasted", but rather said that it didn't happen and that you were more guilty of it than those whom you were accusing. There's certainly enough fodder in your posts if spelling and grammar was a concern of mine, but it really isn't.
    Pitfall69 said:

Well...this thread has gone haywire. Although, it was entertaining.

Does this thread come with the box? :)
    edited June 2013
    Shipping is so much cheaper without!
    LegoFanTexas

Shipping is so much cheaper without!

Yes, but Pitfall69 prefers the box..

:)

Inside joke between us, goes back to 6211. ;)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Hammerfel said:

Link to Amazon's page. It is $99 now.

I also just returned from Holiday and this post is completely wrong. I clicked the provided link and I see the price is actually $99.97. @Hammerfel is sentenced to 3 weeks of hard labor where he/she will compile every post DarthTexas has ever written here about politics and finance. So say we all.

Well, there is some money stuff, and some political stuff, and some... stuff about stuff... and money, and politics, and stuff....

and there is a point about that... you can even do... politics... THEN money stuff!

You see, there is a right wing, and left wing, and sometimes a third wing, but we pretend there is no third wing... unless there are 6 wings, maybe that is a cousin of the Green Dragon who has 4 wings...

Maybe money and politics are just dragons then?

Hmm...
    tamamahm
    edited June 2013
    "Ain't no thang, but a chicken wang (wing)"
    Yes, but did the chicken wing cross the road, and if so, why? :)
  • MathBuilderMathBuilder Member Posts: 150
    ^Yes, because the one-winged chicken did.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited June 2013

Yes, but did the chicken wing cross the road, and if so, why? :)

Because I had to pick up something at a liquor store across the street from KFC. The wing just happened to be in a white and red bucket I was carrying ;)