Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

My Kickstart

jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
I am sure many of my friends on here know how I got into LEGO. But for those that don't, here's a brief recap :)

I am a soldier in the US Army. I deployed to Iraq in 2009. Since returning, not only was I physically injured (have had 2 hip and a knee surgery so far) but I also have had PTSD, nightmares, anxiety and depression rear their ugly head. I am usually at my psychologist about once a week on average. We were discussing how I used to love to cross-stitch and my lack of patience for it now.

But then a lightbulb went off and I wondered if LEGO would be as effective to calm me down as cross stitching used to be. So I bought a small set, waited till I had a bad night sleeping and as they say..... The rest is history.

I have since became a member in SEALug here locally. Not only do they have a local convention in October (BrickCon) but we have also displayed for many years at ECCC (Emerald City ComiCom). This is where the idea started for me.

Since getting into LEGO, I have loved the mosaics people have done. They look so lifelike. I tried doing 2 mosaics last year on the 48x48 baseplates, one of an ElfQuest leader (Cutter) and one from HP of Tonks. I loved them and was hooked

So this brings me to this year. I have been brainstorming and came up with a mosaic that I love of Princess Leia but I need help to get this project completed

I emailed Huw and asked for permission to post. He said go for it and so now, here I am asking for any help to fulfill my Kickstarter
LegoboySirKevbagsmargotmdellemanatkinsar

Comments

• jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    edited June 2013
    Was hoping for a response at least from some ;)
    Have 2 1/2 baseplates done so far, so slowly making my way there
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Sounds like a great project. Should be spectacular in its own right but if I'm reading correctly the therapeutic value is much more important. I'll be chipping in tomorrow.
    That is the real value to me. I have actually gotten my therapist and about 8-10 other soldiers into LEGO that have PTSD. My therapist wants me to consider starting a group therapy session with LEGO and soldiers with my issues (PTSD, anxiety, nightmares, depression, fear of crowds, etc)

One of my homework sessions was to go into either a "toy store" or LEGO store and stay in there for 30 mins to try and calm my issues of not trusting ANYONE around me who I don't know. Since then, I have assisted in a couple of the large builds LEGO does with stores. I was amazed that a year ago, I had not stepped one foot in ANY store unless I knew it was almost deserted (Walmart at 3am, QFC never has more than a few people) for almost 3 yrs. Now I am getting comfortable enough to help out with Master Builds and volunteer at the stores.

I even went and helped display at the ECCC (Emerald City ComiCon for the past two years). I walked around on the shopping floor (although it was before they opened lol) But the crowds around the displays were huge. We had the giant Hogwart's and Batcave that everyone loved. But I stayed there for many hours this last year. The year before when I had just found LEGO, I couldn't stay longer than an hour.

As you can tell, LEGO has definitely been my lifesaver and has become my passion. I am called the LEGO Lady both onbase at a few places and offbase too lol. I tell everyone I talk to about LEGO and how they have saved me.

~Michelle
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Done, good luck with your project!
  • mdellemanmdelleman Vancouver CanadaMember Posts: 274
    Thanks for sharing your struggle and getting out here to explain what you have done to help yourself live with this day to day.

I hope you meet your goal in the next 21 days and I will be watching the LEGO community back you!

“Courage is found in unlikely places.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien
    Thank y'all! I hope I can get the LEGO community into this project :)
  • rchaddrchadd Member Posts: 187
    i find lego is a great de-stressor!
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    @jadedanc

Once in a while a person makes a post on here that makes me take notice of their username simply because they come across as being a really nice and thoroughly decent person. And each time its been you.

I sincerely wish you every success with your campaign.
    :o)

@legomatt Thank you! I just always try to be friendly and helpful to anyone who needs it. Hence, my Kickstarter. I have already gotten quite a few soldiers doing LEGO down here @ JBLM to help with their "issues". I tell everyone I meet about Legos for helping with my PTSD, nightmares, and anxiety in public places. It has been a godsend to me and I hope to anyone else that I have helped get into it.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    You are doing a great job @jadedanc, keep it up :)