Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rise in eBay fees

LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,725
edited July 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
Don't know why or how, but came across a webpage this morning explaining the new fee scale (or lack of) eBay have adopted for Buy-it-Now listings. Worth a read for newbies.

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/money-saving-tips-bargains-and-freebies/shopping/12248/can-you-still-make-money-on-ebay

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Very interesting, and food for thought...
  • squizsquiz Member Posts: 13
    i have only recently started selling on ebay and must admit i was shocked at the rate of the fees. I'm only selling small items and the percentage lost to ebay, paypal and the cost of posting/packaging the items were ranging from 20-40% of the money i received! However when you consider the exposure you get on ebay the fees you pay are probably fair enough. You can still make a decent amount of money, and grab a few lego bargains!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,346
    ^ And that's surely the point. You're paying for access to a MASSIVE pool of potential buyers.

Keeping it relevant to this forum, there's surely a strong argument that the explosion in value of certain sets, and the ability of sellers to make a massive killing on them (UCS Falcon, Modular buildings, Cloud City etc. etc. etc.), is largely down to eBay. Imagine how much you'd get for your UCS Falcon if eBay didn't exist and you instead resorted to selling it through classified ads etc.... Bricklink ? Well, I was buying sets on eBay long before I even knew Bricklink existed, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Many of us might argue that the rise in value of these sets is a bad thing, but I doubt too many sellers would complain, and given it's them shouldering the burden of eBay fees, this is presumably an upside to set again the costs of trading.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I think Ebay is getting out of control with the fees. They SERIOUSLY need some competition.
    If you sell a £100 item you are paying around £20 to ebay and paypal (on most auctions).
    £20!!! to sell one item. And what do you get for your money? You write the description, you take the pictures, you do everything all they do it host the details (what is that a. I understand that ebay gives you large exposure, but in all honesty its not ebay that does that it is the Internet, if everyone else used a different website they would have the same exposure.
    Anyway, to me all it means is that you either try to sell your item that is worth £80 for £100 to get the money that you deserve, or you get less than the value of the item you are selling, or dont sell.
    As for cheaper items I think it is even worse. I think lots more things are gonna end up in landfill as why would someone go to all the bother of selling a £5 item to earn possibly less than £4, once you take into consideration the time to take photos, write a description, put it on ebay, wrap the item, take to postoffice, etc, it is just not worth it..

The sooner a rival comes out and forces Ebay to reconsider its spiralling fees the better.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^^ DrDave, I understand your point re: UCS Falcon, but that is for the real collectors items. And therefore of the £750 paid for the Falcon the seller still pockets somewhere in the region of £600 (so is happy), but that means somewhere in the transaction (whether buyer or seller) £150 is 'lost' to ebay/paypal. That is an obscene amount of money for effectively doing nothing.
    The bigger issue is when you want to sell something for it's worth, i.e. say you have a current model that is worth £50 and is on shelves. You accept that you will not get cost price as they could buy in shop, so mark it down 20%, so you plan to sell for £40, then if you get a buyer, you end up taking closer to £30, that is a significant loss on something 'worth' £50.
    I dont think i am making my point well here so will stop now :)
    Needless to say, unless I am going to sell a limited/rare item, I will be unlikely to use ebay going forward.
    ^ I fully agree that a serious rival to eBay is well overdue; there's also the cosy eBay/PayPal relationship which makes me very uncomfortable, and I'm amazed that the way eBay corrals users into using PayPal hasn't prompted some serious questions from regulators.

None of the above changes the key point, however, which is that even with all the fees most people would be lucky to get anything like the amount they do for the tat they sell...
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,519
    edited July 2011
    eBay=PayPal, they are owned by the same company. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1017-941964.html
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 272
    Interesting discussion...

I think it might be a while before there is a real competitor to Ebay. Perhaps Facebook could try something since they already have a huge following.

I'm okay with the Paypal fees as they are usually comparable to credit card transaction costs and for the security/convenience it provides. I remember the early days of Ebay when I would have to go to the store and buy a money order, and wait 3-4 weeks for the clearing and shipping process.

I've started selling more on Bricklink due to the high fees on Ebay, though like princedraven mentioned, the Ebay exposure is worth it for rare sets. Although it seems like Cafe Corner goes for just as much on Bricklink as it does on Ebay.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,832
    Having just received a bill from ebay, knowing that I sold only a low price few items, I wondered how they had come to the figure of £4. When they end up charging 10p for the sale of a 99p item, it's just not worth selling for the sake of 80p. I know ebay is always a gamble, but it's made me think twice about trying to sell just to raise a bit of quick cash.
    edited July 2011
    eBay=PayPal, they are owned by the same company. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1017-941964.html
    That's precisely why I'm so uncomfortable about it. An analogy might be Microsoft's preferential treatment of I.E. versus other browsers, and look at the storm of grief that brought them in the E.U....

• MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I totally agree with all of this. When ebay was first getting going, there were rivals. Now, as a lone player it's clearly able to charge whatever it likes. I'm sure there must be other auction sites, but I'm not aware of any, in which case they're pretty useless.
    Gumtree is useful for some large items, but the collection limitation (as there's no feedback) means it's a bit pointless for small things.
    I now have a around a dozen rare (ish) older sets that I want to sell (or trade) I guess it's time to open a bricklink shop and see how they do there, the fees on ebay just make it a pointless exercise really.
    ^ Either that or set up a "Marketplace" stall on here..... No fees at all !
    edited July 2011
    If only someone was in a position to set-up a rival Marketplace, if only. Don't suppose anyone knows somebody that owns a website that could be used as a launchpad for developing a new trading/marketplace service for LEGO?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited July 2011
    Huw Millington?
    DrD said a while back that someone would need to replace BL in the end :o)
    ^ Ahem, think that was me ;o)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ I can't find it now, but I distinctly remember the phrase 'now I've thrown that hand grenade in, I'll get back to mending my bike'
    ^ yep, guilty as charged
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    Does anyone use ebid? there fees seem great at only 3% plus no listing fees.

I have quite a few items to list and dont want the high fees over at ebay.
    ^^^ Not guilty - I don't even have a bike.

:-)
    I don't plan to rival BrickLink but I may introduce the means to do member-to-member trading at some point.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    Ebays buy it now rates actually get progressively higher as the price increases. The old rates were 12% for the first $50.00 ( $6.00 ): 6% on the remainder up to $500.00. The actual final value rate for a $100.00 was 9% now it's 10%. A $200.00 dollar item was 7.5%, a $300.00 item was 7% ect.
  • johnsbricksjohnsbricks Member Posts: 210
    I'll be interested with a trading system that Huw mentions...beats paying those fees....
    A trading system would be ace :)

In the meantime, I guess I'll list some sets on marketplace, but to be honest, they're probably not going to sell on here as they're mostly 1970s and 1980's sets (Homemaker, Space etc...)
  • gtg905sgtg905s Member Posts: 29
    I don't plan to rival BrickLink but I may introduce the means to do member-to-member trading at some point.
    How would you prevent against fraud?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,479
    Well like I have stated in other articles... I would not mind the hefty fees eBay charges if they would actually help out the seller from time to time.. I mean my BSR rating which allows me to get discounts on fees, is not dictated by stats.. it is dictated by opinion... For example, if my item arrives to someone's house per the time line on eBay but it is 'too late' in someone's opinion who bought from me, then they can leave me low stars for shipping time.. no stat to back it up, just opinion, and cause my BSR to go down, to then cause me to lose my Top seller rating....
    Now I do know that eBay is working on this.. for example if you do free shipping then you are automatically left 5 stars for shipping fees, and if you pay for the shipping laberl within 24 hours (or ship within 24.. I forget) then the bidder/buyer cannot leave a low BSR for shipping time.

You may as well use free shipping now for buy it now, because the final fee now includes the shipping you are charging.
    eBay did this to thwart those saying an item only sells for 50 cents, but you pay 100 dollars for shipping, people were basically doing this to avoid fees.. so instead of eBay just policing their site and throwing those who do that off of their site they decided to make it a policy... so their laziness is costing all sellers now...

I can see why Buy it now final value fees are high.. this is partly due to the fact eBay is, at its heart, an auction site, not a marketplace.. I mean it is but they really want to bring people back to auctions I think..
    It boils down to this... If it is a big item, then I sell via Buy it now.. I want to ensure that I max my value on the item I want to sell for a certain price... I do not like the value fee at the end, but I have been raising my buy it now to account for this... Eventually I will sell the item and get what I want...

Also a little side note.. if you want to buy it now with an auction your buy it now price must be at LEAST 10% of your starting price for the auction...
    ^-- err I meant 10% greater than the starting price of the auction
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    *I don't plan to rival BrickLink but I may introduce the means to do member-to-member trading at some point. *

I'm all for this but not all traders are 100% honest and this may be difficult to implement. You would need a system to tell you which members are on the level.

A playmobil site I am affiliated to does not allow you to trade until you have been a member for Six months.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,725
    Given Brickset wouldn't be profiting from the trading side of the website, I fail to see how it could be held accountable for preventing or providing cover against fraud. Like Bluefox has touched on, in just four months from March, I have become comfortable enough with a dozen or so names I'd be happy to trust and deal with. Although, having said that, given most of us use Paypal for it's convenience, so long as the sender states the item being paid for as 'goods' rather than 'services' or 'gift', I am fairly certain they offer some element of protection - purchasing doesn't have to be made through eBay to benefit from protection.
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 455
    This is a very interesting thread.

Yes ebay fees are high but like others state the audience is worldwide. Although I am not happy with 10% final value fees, you price this in to any purchase if you are looking to sell and make a profit. Not many people know about bricklink so yes fees are cheaper but will your item sell in the timeframe you want.

I work on ebay plus paypal fees take 15% from the total. Ebay is 10% plus paypal is 3.4% + 20p.

There is then the packaging costs and petrol to go to the post office, plus the time taken to wrap the item.

Add all these up then yes some items are not worth listing on ebay.

My view is if you don't like the fees don't list on ebay, but if you do want to list then go with your eyes wide open aware that 15% will be taken off the top line. plus packaging fees and delivery costs. I am lucky and can re-use jiffy bags, bubble wrap from work, and pass a post office on my way from work.

From reading the various threads over the last few months, It appears most AFOL's buy and sell to fund more Lego sales. I certianly do this but am just selective on which sets or Lego to buy.

If a person has bought from me before and are happy with the goods they recieve, then I suggest a straight paypal transaction and the 10% ebay fees can be pocketed by the buyer. You still have atransaction ID so if anything does go wrong you are covered by paypal buyer and seller protection. If you have a dispute in ebay, it automatically goes to paypal anyway. Paypal deal with any disputes on behalf of ebay for the simple reason paypal are the ones that have taken the money for the transaction, and usually a dispute is the buyer wants his money back as the item is not as described, hasn't been recieved, damaged in transit.

I have only been back from the dark ages for a year and am still kicking myself. When I looked last year at Lego [email protected] Green Grocer was 50% off, at £50 if I remember correctly, not sure the time of year but was tempted. I did not buy one as decided the wife would not be happy plus where would I put it. Look at the prices now that this set is selling for. You would have definately made money on that set even with the ebay final value fees.

Oh well, good luck with any sales

On the subject of trading then yes a great idea, but would this trading be just swapping sets,CM's,parts etc or would people be putting items to be purchased.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    At least they dont charge the buyers a fee yet. Alot of auction houses do. Of course its only a matter of time. Baby steps.
    ^ Can you imagine, 10% plus 10%???
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited July 2011
    If only someone was in a position to set-up a rival Marketplace, if only.
    Met loads of vc's last wk ... it did cross my mind to mention sthg like this as its close to my heart but talked about matching engines instead as its an easier sell.

Most investors are too scared to go up against ebay .....

Personally i think their greed should be regulated like other monopolies ... and competitors subsidised or at least helped.
    If and when it's implemented it will just be a way to match up prospective traders based on sets they want and sets they want to sell. Actual trading will be between the individuals and Brickset will play no part other than to put people in touch with one another. There may be a feedback system but probably not initially.
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 238
    so nobody used ebid then?
  • gtg905sgtg905s Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2011
    If and when it's implemented it will just be a way to match up prospective traders based on sets they want and sets they want to sell. Actual trading will be between the individuals and Brickset will play no part other than to put people in touch with one another. There may be a feedback system but probably not initially.
    Could you implement it in such that if someone is in your area/state/region that has what you want you would get notified?!
    That would be fun, and be able to meet fellow AFOLs
    All my friends are not into Lego any more :-/

edited July 2011
    ^^ nope never used it, nor even heard of it before
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    man, I hate ebay more and more all the time. yesterday, there was a buy it now auction up for 7 winter village toy shops. I bought 2, immediately paid. about 2 hours later I get an email saying they were cancelling my order and refunding my money because they supposedly had run out of stock. why do you have 7 sets listed then? perhaps they sold them on another site - whatever, i don't care. my bet is they realized they should raise the price since the item is going to go up in value really fast now. I fully expect to see the same person relist this item in the near future. so they can just cancel an completed auction with ZERO ramifications to them whatsoever - that is just not right.

Worse part is, I go to leave negative feedback and am told I must wait a full 7 days to leave neutral or negative feedback since this person is highly rated or what not. That's just total crap. They cancelled my order about 2 hours after I placed it - I ought to be able to leave negative feedback immediately.
    ^ For the seller to cancel an auction, they need you to grant consent first. When the eBay-email request to cancel comes through, refuse it - take it to resolution. It won't help you get your sets, but it will give you pleasure knowing the seller is now the one put out. Having said that, I can't find the listing. Have Ebay deleted it?
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    edited July 2011
    ^^ Are you in the US? 10199 is still available from LEGOshop.com in the UK, but it sounds like it they might be running stock out and it being discontinued then...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I did refuse it, yes. like you said, i won't get the items, but I'm not going to make it easy for the guy...

yes, in the US. item is no longer available.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    I might stock up on a few here then...
    edited July 2011
    man, I hate ebay more and more all the time. yesterday, there was a buy it now auction up for 7 winter village toy shops. I bought 2, immediately paid. about 2 hours later I get an email saying they were cancelling my order and refunding my money because they supposedly had run out of stock. why do you have 7 sets listed then? perhaps they sold them on another site - whatever, i don't care. my bet is they realized they should raise the price since the item is going to go up in value really fast now. I fully expect to see the same person relist this item in the near future. so they can just cancel an completed auction with ZERO ramifications to them whatsoever - that is just not right.

Worse part is, I go to leave negative feedback and am told I must wait a full 7 days to leave neutral or negative feedback since this person is highly rated or what not. That's just total crap. They cancelled my order about 2 hours after I placed it - I ought to be able to leave negative feedback immediately.
    Yeah that is bull.. I am a seller and if they do not like the price they sold it for, tough.. honor the agreement. As eBay used to say it is a binding contract.. dunno what they say now, but I hear more and more people doing this....
    For buy it nows it is not an auction.. they can cancel the transaction but risk Neg feedback.. it is a shame that no one seems to have any pride anymore on eBay...
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Its not just ebay - a lot of online stores do this these days - Ive had it on Amazon a few times too.
    To be fair, I also did it to a buyer once, for legitimate reasons - when I got the lego out of the loft after it was sold, I damaged the box, so I had to let the buyer know it wasnt available in MSIB condition, and they chose to cancel.
    I've had it happen loads recently where the price has been very low on ebay, and they've come back with some sob story about hospitals or what not, I've been known to get quite shirty with ones who've said it's been lost in the post and do I want a refund - NO! I want my cheap lego!!!