Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What is your opinion on "virtual Lego bricks"? (Almost said, "Legos")

I keep hoping that Lego will come out with another video game that would let you actually build things in it. I guess this is what Lego Universe was supposed to be but I never tried it so I don't know exactly how that was. I did have an old computer Lego game that let you build roads and then put vehicles on them and I think you could put trees on the sides and you could change the viewpoint so you could see from the perspective of the vehicle. Perhaps it could be argued that Minecraft is already the building game that exists, but I've never played that either. Could you actually use Minecraft to design Lego MOCs that you could then physically build? Does the whole idea of "virtual Lego" defeat the point of real Legos, or could it spark interest in the generation of children growing up with virtual reality that Lego seems to be afraid they are not reaching?

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,634
    It sounds like you need to download Lego Digital Designer...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,715
    It does sound like you need to have a play with LDD. Personally, I hate it. For me the best way to design something is to build with real bricks. You really understand whether something will work when building, that is easy to miss in LDD.
    sidersdd
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    I concur.
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 113
    I prefer physical bricks to virtual ones as well. However, LDD and other LEGO CAD programs have been indispensable for the purpose of replicating my actual MOCs for backup purposes and sharing my designs with others. It is also useful for working out designs when you don't have the right pieces yet. You need to be careful though, because a design in LDD might not necessarily work in the real world. In any case, I highly recommend downloading LDD. It's free can be a lot of fun.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,360
    LDD is a great tool, I often use it to design my MOC's before I go out and buy the bricks to physically build it. But it can be frustrating sometimes, especially when working with angles other than 90 degrees. One example of a build that is frustrating to replicate in LDD is the Malibu Mansion in Iron Man: Malibu Mansion Attack. Two hinges need to line up perfectly, this takes a lot of practice in LDD whereas in real life this is very easy. It is especially challenging when creating Technic models in LDD too.
    Other things, like traditional houses, for example, are easy to build in LDD, and are often quicker to put together virtually if you have repeating structures.
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 113
    @TheOneVeyronian Ah, yes, the angles. I often end up using quite a bit of geometry and trigonometry to make it all work out. However, I'm also the kind of person that enjoys such activities. There are a few tools in LDD that can help you in those situations. Trial and error works well enough, as well, if you're patient. I have found that LDD is somewhat forgiving when it comes to things like that anyways, so no one should let it discourage them.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    I tried using a program downloaded from Lego that I think was the LDD awhile ago. I just found it frustrating to try and build things with it and the choice of bricks seemed incredibly limited. Maybe they've improved it?
  • HarryPotterLoverHarryPotterLover Member Posts: 238
    LDD doesn't really show how good a true model will look because the bricks look way too unreal and animated to even compare. Plus, its WAY too annoying becuase its so SLOW and METICULOUS having to go into the toolbar thingys to find the exact piece you need. And if you really ant your finished model and not have to "build" it twice its SOOOOO expensive.
  • peterlinddkpeterlinddk DenmarkMember Posts: 170
    I regularly use, not LDD, but LDraw, to prototype larger MOCs, or to figure out which parts I need to order if I want to build a rare model.

But I would really like something like the original poster suggested - a game where I could build models (or use existing ones), and for example get to drive a car around a city. Kind of a game that would let me experience being a minifig in my own customized LEGO-city.

Something of a mix between LDD and the LEGO-games from Travelers Tales.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,715
    ^ There are people that use mini cameras mounted on lego vehicles and drive those round their (real) lego cities. Same as some people mount them on trains and drive them around the tracks.