Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Running out of room - what to do!

13»

Comments

• SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Albert Dryden now that was a council dispute.

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ The sad mistake there was that he had the gun out and on display, and yet everyone was standing around like it was some big joke. They actually filmed him shooting the council planner as they all stood around.

Once someone produces a gun, what should have happened was the councilman should have said, "I'm very sorry, I will leave now and not come back."

Of course, then the police deal with it then...
    edited June 2013
    ^ I grew up around 4 miles from that incident so I remember it well. He was well known as an eccentric but no one expected the outcome that day. From memory I don't believe anything physical was expected yet alone guns.

I would expect the UK police respond more to gun incidents now than 20 odd years back but they are still not common.
    Any time you are trying to remove someone by force from their home, you need the police. Anything less is just foolish, and that man paid the price for that foolishness.

People get very emotional when it comes to their home, their stuff, etc.
    I agree completely and the police were there. But as is the norm and even more so then they were not armed.

I just watched the video again... Stupid, they were all stupid... He was standing there holding the gun and the guy on the other side of the fence said, "get a shot of this gun". There were people on the shooter side of the fence, standing 5 feet away, taking pictures!

A man standing on his property refusing access and pointing a gun at you is a VERY SERIOUS EVENT that needs to be taken at face value, they should have all retreated and left it to armed law enforcement to handle.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,011
    Things were so different back then. To get armed police would have taken hours. These days, much quicker but still too long.
    ^ Were they? I doubt the emotional issues regarding forcibly removing someone from their home have not changed in a very long time.

Double that with the fact that they brought a bulldozer to demolish his house.

A hundred years ago, the reaction would have been much the same. Everyone seems all surprised, but actually I find the homeowners actions to be quite predictable. Doesn't make the city right or wrong in their building code requirements, just means they didn't really think it through how to go about enforcing them.

In the US, when you need to remove someone from a property, you get a writ of possession, that is then enforced by the sheriff. You never try to have civilians serve notice of eviction or try to tell someone to leave their property, that is always left to law enforcement.

BTW, I love this from wikianswers:

What is a writ of possession?

Dictionary Answer
    A writ of possession is a legal precept directing a sheriff to put a person in peaceable possession of property recovered in ejectment or writ of entry.

Real World Answer
    It's a court order to move out right now. If you don't, you will be forcibly removed by law enforcement, along with your stuff (at your expense), real soon!
    @LegoFanTexas I was only a kid when that incident took place and I can assure you that the region was shocked and surprised that the council officer was shot dead carrying out his daily job. For someone to pull a gun in that situation here is so far from the norm that it wouldn't even have been a consideration.

I'm not defending how the situation was handled. You can't when an innocent man lost his life but its fair to say that the majority of people there that day had never seen a gun before never mind have had any training or knowledge on how to handle the situation.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,835
    edited June 2013
    The example that @CCC put forward is exactly how it is played today in the UK. Only if somebody does something to prevent the court order from being carried out are the police called ie. not vacating in this example. They would see that the terms of the warrant could be carried out by arresting those that obstructed.

I have had to send for police a number of times in the past for the exact same reasons. I would say however, if someone pulled out a gun or did anything to suggest my life or being was in danger, I would run!

That is where the failure in @Kev's example lies. They all stood around like a flag with the word 'BANG!' was about to appear at the end of his pistol. Mental!
    I'm pretty sure I would break my rule of running in public to ;-) but I hope I never have to test that theory!

I witnessed an eviction from a block of flats. Well mortgage repossession. Police were outside but not armed. They gained access to the building door no problem but when breaking down his individual door they didn't know he had swapped numbers so they smashed in the wrong door.
    Legoboy
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    As the op, I humbly request we don't continue on this tangent.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    On a somewhat different note, but still regarding room, I just picked this up to better store my instruction manuals and for more organization. I have also started to hold onto LEGO CLUB Magazine's and Catalogues so this will give me the additional space needed:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Letter-Legal-File-Box-Clear/product_480548

Legoboy said:

The example that @CCC put forward is exactly how it is played today in the UK. Only if somebody does something to prevent the court order from being carried out are the police called ie. not vacating in this example. They would see that the terms of the warrant could be carried out by arresting those that obstructed.

Yes, I was just pointing out the difference between the US and the UK.

When it comes time to remove someone from a property, civilians are never allowed to do it here, you always have law enforcement take care of it.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    Hey! Focus! I'm talking about plastic filing bins here!
    Legoboy
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,835
    edited June 2013
    ^^ In the UK, they are written to and asked to vacate by such a date. If they are still there on said date, they are verbally asked to respect the court order by 'leaving quietly'. If they say "No" or prevent us from safely carrying out the warrant, we call the police. Nobody other than the police can forcibly remove somebody whose preventing the terms of the warrant from being carried out safely. We'd be in a world of bother if we so much as placed one hand on that person.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    soooooo..........anyway.......I have about 200 SW figures on my wall in the toy room. Thinking seriously about either selling them off (thinking, not acting), or making way for more Lego display. I have about 5% built right now while I'm getting rid of old shelving to build new. It's all a reshuffle
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145

So I take it renting out a dedicated storage unit would be a tad much? Eh?

It depends. I have one for resale purposes and it works out great. This way I can have some free space in my own home (I don't have enough space to dedicate to inventory). You just have to take the costs into account. If you have one for your own collection I don't see a problem with it. It's when you continuously upgrade your storage space or rent out "just one more" that you have to start questioning that your hobby has become an addiction.

edited June 2013

^ Were they? I doubt the emotional issues regarding forcibly removing someone from their home have not changed in a very long time.

I believe things were much different back then (concerning guns). I grew up in the 1970s and quite a few old guys in the UK had guns. I remember my grandad showing me his revolver from during WW2. His, like many of he others, were decomissioned. He also had a "trophy" german gun, also decomissioned. I think it was fairly common, but everyone believed that if anyone got a gun out that it was decommissioned or unloaded, even if being used as a threat (although I have never seen one used as a threat in real life).

Plus we (the collective we as a nation) have this (stupid) view that a British Bobby with his truncheon is armed to fight crime. Fortunately that is changing...

CCC said:

Plus we (the collective we as a nation) have this (stupid) view that a British Bobby with his truncheon is armed to fight crime. Fortunately that is changing...

Robin Williams has a great comic bit about that... what is a British Bobby going to do when he yells "stop!" to a criminal and the criminal doesn't stop... Maybe yell "stop!" again? :)

We have the same problem with our law enforcement, thinking that 9mm handguns means they are armed to fight crime. This has proven to be completely inadequate when criminals are armed with AK and AR style weapons.

Now major cities have AR-15 semi-auto rifles for use in such situations.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259

CCC said:

Robin Williams has a great comic bit about that... what is a British Bobby going to do when he yells "stop!" to a criminal and the criminal doesn't stop... Maybe yell "stop!" again? :)

We have the same problem with our law enforcement, thinking that 9mm handguns means they are armed to fight crime. This has proven to be completely inadequate when criminals are armed with AK and AR style weapons.

Now major cities have AR-15 semi-auto rifles for use in such situations.
    Obviously the best answer is to get bigger guns :/ as they say, you reap what you sow!

Back on topic, was thinking as a space saving idea you could tile your celling with base plates and display your mini-figures :P
    ^ Actually, the best answer is to get guns out of the hands of criminals. Fewer than 2% of criminals who try and buy guns and are turned down due to background checks are ever charged with a crime.

If they would actually go after felons who have guns, that would solve most of the gun crime. Law abiding citizens don't commit crimes. :)
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 676
    ^^Yeah, hanging the sets from the ceiling will be a great way to display your Space sets...use gray baseplates to simulate the lunar surface!
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259

^ Actually, the best answer is to get guns out of the hands of criminals. Fewer than 2% of criminals who try and buy guns and are turned down due to background checks are ever charged with a crime.

If they would actually go after felons who have guns, that would solve most of the gun crime. Law abiding citizens don't commit crimes. :)

The most effective way is not to allow easy access in the first place, which I realise is now too late in the US, but my point is that by allowing easy access to guns for "Law abiding citizens" you make it way too easy for felons to get hold of them. Stringent gun controls have and do work in many countries including Australia.

As I said though it's probably too late for the US as gun ownership is so widespread and so ingrained that it probably doesn't matter what controls you put in place you will never reduce gun related deaths\crimes to levels enjoyed by some other comparable countries. Still, I do believe that having background checks\licensing\cooling off periods and banning assault rifles etc. would make a difference in the US, and overtime a big difference.

Sorry to the rest of you, I’ll apologise for my part in the de-rail now.
    mathew
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited June 2013
    ^ I agree 100%. Unfortunately guns are ingrained in American culture much like religion. In fact there is segment of American society (mostly rural Midwest and south) that hold guns in the same regard as religion. I had relatives in Kentucky who kept a shotgun by the front door. Often a cross could be found hanging above the shotgun.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,049
    If a gun can talk........"I have never fired a shot, but I've been handled by someone who forced me to shoot."
    Guns are almost like religion, people have their viewpoints and are unlikely to change their minds due to their upbringing.

Unlike religion, we actually have facts and figures on guns, yet people look at the same information and reach very different conclusions.

Jesus himself could come down from Heaven tomorrow and there would STILL be debates about it. :)

So we won't solve anything, so lets not even try. What I will put out there is that I'd like to see a focus on love for our fellow human beings, less hate and violence, more acceptance of other people who are different from each other.

Jesus himself could come down from Heaven tomorrow and there would STILL be debates about it. :)

He's not from heaven, he's from #79108
    LegoFanTexasPenkid11messy
    :)
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    poor @tensor ....apparently, just get rid of guns and rubbish. Plenty of room for Lego, then.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098

Guns are almost like religion, people have their viewpoints and are unlikely to change their minds due to their upbringing.

Unlike religion, we actually have facts and figures on guns, yet people look at the same information and reach very different conclusions.

So we won't solve anything, so lets not even try. What I will put out there is that I'd like to see a focus on love for our fellow human beings, less hate and violence, more acceptance of other people who are different from each other.

That's all very true. Something tells me that if Jesus were to come back that he wouldn't be terribly impressed by the people who claim to be followers.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Oh darn, I was hoping the new comments would pertain to the original topic.

Or wait, was the original topic "Running out of room, now that I have a new gun cabinet" , checking... ...nope. Lego storage and guns have nothing to do with each other.
    HarryPotterLover
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273

Oh darn, I was hoping the new comments would pertain to the original topic.

Or wait, was the original topic "Running out of room, now that I have a new gun cabinet" , checking... ...nope. Lego storage and guns have nothing to do with each other.

It's ok, they're established members. Only new members get berated for going off topic or posting actual lego topics.
    jamiestLegoFanTexasjasor
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    As long as you understand there is a double standard then all is OK.