Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] looking to offload a town plan - 10184-1

FurrysaurusFurrysaurus Member Posts: 156
i have a sealed town plan (10184-1) that's gathering dust. it's been up on bricklink, but the only hit was someone who apparently didn't know anything about shipping rates and was claiming it should have only cost 10 bucks to ship.

since the crowd here seems a bit more sane about these things, any takers at 400 + shipping? it has the standard creases from shelf wear, and one of the seals really wants to break, but hasn't. outside of that, pretty dang good. based out of North Carolina, so if you're near and want to skip on shipping costs, i'm down for that as well.
Legoboy

Comments

• FurrysaurusFurrysaurus Member Posts: 156
    *bumperoo*
  • graphitegraphite Member Posts: 3,275
    Just out of curiosity what was the shipping amount that you told that person?
    20-30. the problem is that it's one of the "long" boxes and USPS frowns on size. i recently sent a mobile command center off and the base was ~15, but due to length, they tack on a surcharge. maybe the amazon prime generation will be the death of me yet...
    Well, Fedex and USPS are both around $15 for a 27x18x9 box weighing 7lbs which would be enough for that set so I could see how someone being quoted a possible 30 for shipping might have an issue.
    USPS sure isn't. did you mean ups? sadly, ups and fedex aren't lunch options for me - so it's usps or nothing. maybe parcel post?
    since i have the receipt here in front of me, here's the USPS breakdown for the agents mobile command center -

zone 8 - standard post
    9lb, 3.8 oz - 24.46
    balloon standard post - 10.12
    insurance - 3.05

total cost - $37.63.

i suppose i could do it without packing, but that seems like a poor idea.
    ^ you double boxing or packing with newspaper or something? Town plan weighs 6.4lbs according to BL. (command center is less). It is usually ~1lb for a box and if you bubble wrap or use a good amount of bubble pillows to pack it tight it still wouldn't get to 9lbs. And 9lbs is $17.45 USPS for half way across the country.

I can see it getting into range with insurance through USPS but not being able to ship the cheapest method definitely hurts you in this case since big stuff is always more expensive through USPS. 9lbs would only be ~16.50 with $400 declared value through Fedex and most places you can drop off are open like 7am to 8pm or later.
    you can quote prices all day, i'm going off the receipt. *shrug* 24.46 for flat, then another 10 for being "big".
    I can quote prices all day because I know the box size I'd use and a weight. USPS does have a number of inches that length + girth has to be under before its considered oversized and you must've used an oversized box that from the size of those 2 sets is not necessary.
    *shrug* for the packing i wanted to ensure the set would arrive MISB, it was required.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas Member Posts: 8,404

you can quote prices all day, i'm going off the receipt. *shrug* 24.46 for flat, then another 10 for being "big".

You need to be willing to lower your asking price, or eat the shipping cost, if those options are not open to you.

Shipping Town Plan shouldn't cost more than $15 including insurance via UPS or FedEx Ground. USPS is not a reasonable shipping option for large boxes.
    400 is already less than the 475 BL has it for - i kind of figured i had lowered it.

400 is already less than the 475 BL has it for - i kind of figured i had lowered it.

That is a fair point, sorry for trampling your thread. :(
    oh, it's fine trample away - i'm open to other options. shipping is expensive - no two ways around that. when i shipped the mobile command center, i quoted them 15, so i ate it there. was trying not to eat it again.
    In that case, may I make a friendly suggestion?

Offer it for $425 shipped, you'll avoid the whole shipping issue and still be $50 less than the lowest new price on Bricklink.

Just trying to be helpful, your price is indeed fair, again, sorry for going off the rails.
    yeah, was debating tossing it back up on bricklink with that in the description (i was going to go for 420, but another five is always welcome). eh, we'll see what happens.