Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Shipping "already built" sets

HavocsanHavocsan Member Posts: 15
edited June 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
A month or so back I posted a picture on my Facebook of a stage I made with custom minifigs of my old fave girl band from the 80's, Fuzzbox. I tagged the girls in the pic, and long story short.. they all want one.. The minifigs, no probs, I offered to make those for them gladly, then a friend of mine stuck his foot in his mouth saying I should make the stage for them too. Apart from the cost, Its worrying me to death how Im going to post these things. I can't expect the girls to build the stage themselves. Does anyone have any tips on how to pack builds so that they atleast stand a slim chance of arriving in one piece or atleast in almost one piece? ;) Any help greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    Perhaps flattening the model as much as possible would be a good start. Since it is a stage you could probably remove some of the sections which stick up, leaving just the stage itself, and perhaps include a little drawing of some sort indicating where to place the sections which are left (I am presuming that the model is basically the stage with some kind of backdrop and perhaps a couple of speakers etc.)

Alternatively, if sending the model in one piece is an absolute necessity, ensure to fill the open area of a model with something like shredded newspaper. Bubble wrap does not fill out an open area as well in my experience and that way everything should stay standing as it is well packed in the box with very little space to move around.

I hope this is of some help, good luck!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    Deliver it in person - they'll get an intact model, and it'll be awesome for you !
    FurrysaurusjasorSirKevbagsMorkMan
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 861
    ^They have services that will do this, too. Not cheap, but they can afford it from the $$$ they made on their 2010 tour.
  • HavocsanHavocsan Member Posts: 15

Deliver it in person - they'll get an intact model, and it'll be awesome for you !

It has been suggested by the other half.. but its a hell of a drive from the south coast to Birmingham.
    MorkMan said:

^They have services that will do this, too. Not cheap, but they can afford it from the $$$ they made on their 2010 tour.

Well I went to the opening night gig. I doubt they made that much money ;)
    Im actually not even charging them for parts let alone time, just doing it as gift/favour.

CapnRex - Thanks for the suggestion! I hadnt thought of shredded paper :)