Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Captain Shield Lego Kit (US Bank)

thebruceleethebrucelee Member Posts: 5
Hey,
Does anyone have info on the following kit?
http://shop.usbank.com/usbank-09-giveaways.asp?id=1257563
Does it come in a poly-bag or box?
Is it all Lego? I'm interested in the cape element if it is.
Lego product number, is there one?
I have not seen this on Peeron or brickset.
I've seen company promotional/logo sets before. This US Bank one seems to be under the radar.
Is anyone else interested in it or has more info on the packaging?
Thanks!

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I would question if it is really LEGO.

Notice that the word LEGO isn't in caps, and the R with the circle isn't after it. Official LEGO product has to be presented like that, so if this is the real deal, they are in violation of their agreement to carry this item.

Or so I understand, I could be wrong. :) Just my first take. :)
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    This link does not work for me on my phone or laptop.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    Looks like standard lego pieces. If it is, then they should have presented it as LFT says. If it isn't, then they shouldn't be calling it 'lego' (that some people seem to use as a generic term for 'plastic building blocks').

Intriguing.
  • thebruceleethebrucelee Member Posts: 5

I would question if it is really LEGO.

Notice that the word LEGO isn't in caps, and the R with the circle isn't after it. Official LEGO product has to be presented like that, so if this is the real deal, they are in violation of their agreement to carry this item.

Or so I understand, I could be wrong. :) Just my first take. :)

I agree.
    My wifey works for US Bank. She's the one who found it and pointed it out to me. I asked her to order a couple sets.

It looks like Lego except the stickers look cheap and the cape looks odd. I really want to see the packaging and cape element. If the packaging is not official Lego, then US Bank has some answering to do.
    andhe
  • kramiikramii Member Posts: 5
    I emailed the vendor, and they said, "The kits that we are selling are made from genuine LEGO bricks.".
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    I agree, the elements look quite genuine to me. I tried looking carefully at each piece as close as I could; looks real. Same conclusion as well that the sticker and cape look fake/cheap and may be an after thought or just something US Bank decided to add in and LEGO decided it was not worth them making themselves?

I highly doubt a large us bank, no pun intended, would put themselves at risk of exposure due to licensing agreements, but funnier, and far scarier things could happen! So who knows.

I would chalk it up to them buying the pieces to put this "figure" together and assembling it into their own package to sell as marketing or "brand" material.
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    look at those STAMPs - the horror!
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127

I agree, the elements look quite genuine to me. I tried looking carefully at each piece as close as I could; looks real. Same conclusion as well that the sticker and cape look fake/cheap and may be an after thought or just something US Bank decided to add in and LEGO decided it was not worth them making themselves?

I highly doubt a large us bank, no pun intended, would put themselves at risk of exposure due to licensing agreements, but funnier, and far scarier things could happen! So who knows.

I would chalk it up to them buying the pieces to put this "figure" together and assembling it into their own package to sell as marketing or "brand" material.

Third party LEGO sets are not new, people have been making and selling their own sets for years now. This could easily be such a case, or it could be a low volume specialty set run from The LEGO Company itself. Personally I'm guessing that it's a third party making the 'Captain Shield Lego Kit', largely due to the sticker appearance.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    I think they were going for a short and fat version of Bizarro.
    thebrucelee
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I actually work at U.S. Bank. My coworkers and I joke that Captain Shield (the lame mascot they came up with 5 years ago) looks like Towelly from South Park.
    thebruceleeRomanticWarriorkylejohnson11
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,891
    He should have come with a golden parachute.
    GothamConstructionCoZathrasthebruceleekylejohnson11FollowsClosely
    Actually US Bank is one of the few that did not get a bailout.
    kylejohnson11
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    @natro, do we need to have an account with the bank to get these?
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I'm not sure...this thread was the first I heard of this.
    Has anyone tried going to the link and seeing if they can add to a basket or anything?
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,073
    I bought a couple. I will report on them once I receive them.

I bought a couple. I will report on them once I receive them.

Thanks! Especially the quality of stickers/cape?
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    edited May 2013

He should have come with a golden parachute.

The one missing from the skydiver in S10? ;-)
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    I tried to order some but it would not allow me to so I emailed my daughter in law who used to work for them. Not sure she has contacts to get them, we'll see.
    So I got mine today. The insert says "Captain Shield model is built of Lego bricks by Brick4Brick.com for US Bank." These are real LEGO pieces.

@piratemania7, the stickers and cape look professionally done. The cape is even printed on.

I can post pictures tonight if anyone is interested.
    JBricks27yys4uandhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    ^ Yes please.

So basically it's a custom kit? Do we know of any professional company doing this before? I know you can buy custom kits on eBay etc but offering one as official merchandise seems entirely different.
  • briziobrizio Member Posts: 31
    Apparently they made also a bigger version of it...
    http://brick4brick.com/index.php/custom-work
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    andhe said:

^ Yes please.

So basically it's a custom kit? Do we know of any professional company doing this before? I know you can buy custom kits on eBay etc but offering one as official merchandise seems entirely different.

I bought what turned out to be a custom kit from ebay last year.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/83243/#Comment_83243

Built by Klaas Meijaard from the Netherlands.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=greenman
    Picture 1 is how the set was packaged.
    Picture 2 shows the contents.
    Picture 3 is a close up of the cape and stickers. The cape fits very well.
    Picture 4 is the completed model.

Overall I give it 10/10.

I also scanned the instructions, but don't know if I should post them.
    yys4u
    Thank you Russell844! I was about to post pictures but you beat me to it. Here is a photo of the cape.
    Depending on what kind of Lego purist you are the custom kits out there are a great addition to your collection. Check out http://brickmania.com

Oh bye the way, The Death Star http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10188-1 is on sale at TRU 20% off! The wifey and I picked up one each online. Limit one per order. I don't think it will do as well as the "Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon" but it will still be a good investment.
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    Okay so it is out of official LEGO pieces?
    Yes, they are all official LEGO pieces except for the cape and stickers.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    @Russell844 - do you have the scan of the instructions? I'd love to see it and make it myself...
  • BulkheadXBulkheadX Member Posts: 74
    natro220 said:

I actually work at U.S. Bank. My coworkers and I joke that Captain Shield (the lame mascot they came up with 5 years ago) looks like Towelly from South Park.

he does look like Towelly... but, when I look at him, all I can hear in my brain is the 'Hoooowdey Hooo!' of Mr Hankey lol
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    Thank you very much!
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    @Russell844. Thanks so much! And that cape is real cloth... Going to go to the craft store soon!