Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

I Chose This Username Because...

MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 852
edited May 2013 in Forum Operation
I've always wondered what the reason is behind some of Usernames here on Brickset. My curiosity has gotten the better of me. So I'm asking everyone to finish this sentence:
I chose this username because...
CapnRex101MinifigsMe

Comments

• MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 852
    edited May 2013
    ...My last name is Mork and I'm a man. Mork+Man (pretty boring, I know), but it's a nickname I've had since the early 90's.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I chose this screen name because Lego makes me happy and brings joy into my life, much like music does. And the result for both is usually dancing without a care in the world. Hence BrickDancer :)
    tallblocktoo
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
    edited May 2013
    Simple...my initials are bmw however if I had the chance for a redo I would have gone with my flickr screen name of notenoughbricks because when I first started building again as an adult I never seemed to have enough bricks!
    murphquake
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    bmwlego said:

Simple...my initials are bmw however if I had the chance for a redo I would have gone with my flickr screen name of notenoughbricks because when I first started building again as an adult I never seemed to have enough bricks!

Does anyone ever have enough bricks?

91stlegotrooperchromedigibobabrickskiki180703
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,285
    Cause I thought it sounded Awesome!
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    ^ Nothing to do with cars then?
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    My name here is a modification (a MOC if you will) of the email address I've had since email was invented.
    oldtodd33 said:

^ Nothing to do with cars then?

No, my son thinks it was because of Teen Titans, but I had that username before that show,
    ^ Back in the day, Oldsmobile used to make a model of car called a Starfire. I thought you might have owned 2 of them at one time.

Ok, so I'll out myself. Obviously my name is Todd and along about the age of 33, after I worked my normal 12-16 hours I started to feel worn out and old. Unfortunately, I still work 15 hour work days and am feeling even older now.
    oldtodd33 said:

^ Back in the day, Oldsmobile used to make a model of car called a Starfire. I thought you might have owned 2 of them at one time.

Ok, so I'll out myself. Obviously my name is Todd and along about the age of 33, after I worked my normal 12-16 hours I started to feel worn out and old. Unfortunately, I still work 15 hour work days and am feeling even older now.

Hey now, I'm only 37. I know what an Oldsmobile is but have never owned one. Only Nissan's.
    So, when you are 34 will it be oldtodd34?

No, I'm 46 now. The screen name is actually my Ebay screen name that I registered in 2000, when I was 33.
    oldtodd33 said:

No, I'm 46 now. The screen name is actually my Ebay screen name that I registered in 2000, when I was 33.

Gosh, you really are old! hehe just kidding. I'm not too far off. Plus some of these days I feel like I am pushing 50!
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    MorkMan said:

...YoMamma was already being used. And abused. And loving every minute of it. :-P

Seriously, I use this for almost all forums so why be different this time? My use of it goes way back to the 90s.

MorkMan
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    dejavu was my screen name on a long-ago website completely unrelated to LEGO. I go by legodreams at Flickr. @bmwlego - I'm a big fan of notenoughbricks!
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 762
    Wow! Thanks @dejavu!!
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    First 6 letters of my surname followed by the initials of my first and middle name. Boring but true, it was the username assigned to me at university for use in the computer labs, they could only be a maximum of 8 characters long. I now use it pretty much everywhere except ebay.
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    kempo - surname is kemp and kempo was my nickname as a kid.
    81 - year i was born

first used when i created my hotmail account many many moons ago! pretty dull, fairly standard, but used on EVERYTHING i register on! in fact i get a little grumpy if its taken already.... yes, i'm looking at you GMAIL!!
    52scoobydooLegobutterflykiki180703
  • JenniJenni USAMember Posts: 1,367
    ^ it's funny how that happens. Our main email account is a variation of my husband's name and I find myself using that in other places.

That's why it's nice to have my own name here, in case it's not obvious it's the most commonly used variation on my first name. Oddly enough it was also my username at uni while I was dating the systems administrator, I got excellent marks in my programming classes during that period too :).
    LostInTranslationdejavuSirKevbagsMorkManMinifigsMebassbisoncarlqsnowhitiekiki180703
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    My company name. Struggled for ages thinking of something relevant and then chose it on a random whim. Hate it now!
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    One for the Brits here. Everyone remember Emu and The Pink Windmill with the character Grotbags? Everyone I knew as a kid became somethingbags and thirty years later its still hanging round.
    adiemcAnseltheCatMinifigsMecarlqLegobutterflyzipsforbananaskiki180703tallblocktoo
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ and the 'sir' bit, where on earth did that come from?
    SupersympaMinifigsMebassbisoncarlqAdzbadboykiki180703
    ^ Just appeared :-)
    indigoboxSi_UKNZAnseltheCatbassbisoncarlqAdzbadboykiki180703
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    My username is pretty self-explanitory really. I spent some time considering a username here. As I could not think of a pun or anything particularly clever I instead decided to select an avatar first. It came down to a toss up between Captain Rex and the Riddler as I found distinctive avatars for each character, and each are among my favourite characters from Star Wars and DC Comics respectively.

Thus, I followed suit with the username and decided that rather than have something boring like 'Captain Rex', I would instead go with 'CapnRex101'. I use the suffix '101' on all of my usernames just about so that was a no brainer and elided the name to make it a bit more unique. There should really be an apostrophe in there...

Very simple altogether. Great question @morkman, I have considered asking the same question myself and will be interested to see some of the answers.
    tallblocktoo
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 210
    I'm a boy and I wear pants, I use it on all forums and online gaming, although I sometimes have to add 72 (my year of birth) to the end if someone has beaten me to it.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    this is my nickname from high school...It stayed and used it about everywhere after...
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    ^ Question is, are we talking English pants or American-English pants?
    andhechromedigiAndorkiki180703
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    Good thread, OP. I've often wondered the same thing. I've always just used my Christian name since he birth of the internet. How boring :)
    Si_UKNZAndorkiki180703
  • YakopYakop United StatesMember Posts: 15
    My name is Jacob as a kid we traveled between, Denmark, France and the US so my parents always called me by the Danish pronunciation of my name which is roughly Yakop. Since then I have used that as my Username and everyone that know me in my personal life call me Yakop.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 611
    ...when I joined the website swrebellion.com (anyone remember that classic video game?), I was in my mid-thirties, and it seemed like all the other forum posts were discussing high school graduation, college exams, etc. I felt like an old man among those kids, but I'm still a big SW fan, so I picked this name. I use it for most of my online ID's nowadays.
  • EnglishbobEnglishbob Member Posts: 24
    I was born in England and my name is Robert. One of my favorite movies is 'Unforgiven' and in it is a quote .. ' is it true. Are you Englishbob?'. Played by Richard Harris,apparently he was a real character in the old west. Always thought it was cool ha!
    snowhitieMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,463
    I really don't recall, I just chalk it up to 'It was late and I was tired'.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 852
    edited May 2013

Great question @morkman, I have considered asking the same question myself and will be interested to see some of the answers.

Thanks @CapnRex101 and @Huw. I figured it was time after "knowing" all of you for so long. I'm loving the answers!
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    I'm Greek and my first name is Michael. Greekmichael sounds rubbish so went with greekmick. I hate being called Mick in life though.
    caperberryMinifigsMekempo81
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    This has long been my username on the internet. I love plants and gardening, and I am female. I feel very possessive of my username, like the earlier poster.
    tallblocktoo
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 210

^ Question is, are we talking English pants or American-English pants?

Most definitely talking English pants, but I do also wear American pants to cover my English pants so I suppose in the interest of Anglo American harmony it could be either.

caperberryAndor
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652

I really don't recall, I just chalk it up to 'It was late and I was tired'.

I think a lot of us can relate to that!

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,233
    greekmick said:

I'm Greek

@greekmick- Good to know I'm not the only one :o)
    greekmick
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    greekmick said:

I'm Greek and my first name is Michael. Greekmichael sounds rubbish so went with greekmick. I hate being called Mick in life though.

Darn it, sorry Michael, didn't realise you didn't like being called Mick!!
    Think I have called you Mick every time we have chatted!

Sorry fella!
    greekmick
    ^ Just done the same in a pm! Sorry Michael!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^ "It can't rain all the time." One of my fave quotes came from that movie.
    MorkManprincedravenbinaryeyekiki180703
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    Years ago I was in a gaming clan and used a different username/name but when I went to create my Xbox gamer tag it was taken. So, took my initials and added 2 E's after each because it sorta sounds like that when you say it. Just so happens it was available.

Anyway, 5 years later I joined here and it was just a habit of using that as a username.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,490
    MorkMan said:

I'm a translator, and I like the phrase. Simple as that. And nothing to do with the film!
    Si_UKNZcarlqAndorkiki180703tallblocktoo
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Mine is boringly my first name and the first three letters of my surname... But also what a lot of my close friends call me. It's also a username I've used a lot, particularly where you had to have one with min length 6 chars.

I do sometimes wish I'd chosen a username with more of a story behind it.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 487
    So, I wanted to fit in with what I thought (at the time, back in 2004 or so) was a predominantly British website. Therefore, I took an old family name and made myself Lord of it. Since it is a Lego site, I added that in front of it all, for while there have (and will be) other Lord Mayorcas, there is currently only one that has been so devoted to Lego bricks and building with them.
  • fitzyfitzfitzyfitz ManchesterMember Posts: 94
    More commonly known as just Fitz, mine is the protagonist in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.
    binaryeye
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,377
    Fan of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. The number part was assigned many moons ago and I just kept it.
    murphquakemooman66