Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Attending Store Openings

LoriMcLoriMc Member Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
I've never been to a new Lego store opening--is it worth driving 1.5 hours?

Comments

• indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    @LoriMc I think it all depends on what you are expecting. If you are expecting to queue and queue and queue then is say probably not. If you like free goodies and seeing smiling people talking about little bricks of plastic then definitely, it is a must.

I attended my first opening on Sunday in Leeds and spent 2 hours driving there and 2 hours driving back. I spent around an hour in the queue early in the morning and dipped in and out of LEGO store across the day. My little boy played some Chima and interacted with staff (albeit he didn't know what the pricing was of Chima or have much interest in helping a customer from what I saw) he still had fun.

So you get my vote for attending :)
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Coming from someone who drove 14+ hours to one, I'd say yes. Then again, I was visiting my hometown and coincidentally(with planning ;) ) it was at the same time. Here's my original thread when I was asking people what to expect. If you've never been to one before, like me, I'd go. My wife and I had a blast. I'd probably still go to get the minifigure set, since they're exclusive to each grand opening.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/10512/grand-opening-celebrations-this-weekend-question
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    It's DEFINITELY worth doing once, hopefully with one or more of your children, making a very cool and memorable experience, making a micro-vacation out of it with a hotel stay and visiting something else small in the area. My 8 year old and I did exactly that, and as silly as it may sound to outsiders (watching a store open - ooo), it's one of best times I've ever had with him.

After that, it depends on your overall experience with the first time.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    what if its not a full blown LEGO exclusive store but just a toy store authorized to sell LEGO??
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,389
    @LoriMc I would, easily, I'd probably attend an opening at anything up to 6 hours drive. I've not really been to one as I volunteered all weekend at the one we had. I did meet the person who is starting our LUG then, as well as members of a nearby LUG who have since invited me to display with them, and of course Brickset members.

@Coolsplash That's really hard to answer when we don't know what's involved. The LEGO store Grand Openings (we are talking about the Grand Opening and not the first day? I wouldn't for the first day) involve exclusive sets, really large group builds and a very high energy level. If you can pull that off why not? But it's unlikely that you can, in general to get people to come a long way you need to have something really special and rare happening.
  • dejavudejavu USAMember Posts: 235
    It takes me an hour to drive to a LEGO store anyway, what's another 30 min? I'd go, hoping for freebies and specials.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    The LEGO store opening that I attended was a bit farther than that away (100 miles each way). My wife and I made a weekend of it, but we left the kids at home. At the time they were 4 and 6 and the thought of standing in line with them for 2 hours made that decision easy. If it had been closer, we probably would have brought them back later in the day to participate in the model build.

Don't expect to have a lot of time to chat with the staff, they will be swamped. You will have time to chat with those around you in line, that was the best part for me. We made friends with the guy in front of us (who ran the GameStop store across the hall from the LEGO store) and also with a Technic fan and reseller who was from our part of the state.

Plus we got a cool exclusive gift from LEGO with our purchase.

I'll also say this, there will be a soft opening before the grand opening, for me it was worth it making the drive the day the store announced they were open for business. The store will be mostly empty, the staff won't know what they are doing yet, but it's fun to say you were there the first day they were open, and you'll have more time to browse and check out the pick-a-brick wall.
  • LoriMcLoriMc Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much. We have decided to go--the whole family--plan to go first thing and then go to the Witte museum with our 4-year-old to make a day of it. The first Lego store in San Antonio, Texas! We plan to go on Saturday for the free Lego store model with $75 purchase.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Lorimc I am interested in what time you are going Saturday, I made a trip down here and didn't want to be in line like at 7
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Is there a list of upcoming grand openings somewhere? Thanks,
  • RedBaronRedBaron Member Posts: 6
    We will be coming from the Fort Worth area and make a weekend of it. Grand openings are a blast. We have been to two and very much enjoyed meeting other Lego fans. We went about an hour before the store opened and got in about an hour after the doors opened. The time went by fast. Being a holiday weekend will make it more important to show up a bit earlier.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    It is under there site under the store locator
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Thanks! It seems like very limited 2013 information considering we are half way through 2013. How do people plan for these without much advance notice?