Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

No more Super Heroes sets the rest of the year?

prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
edited May 2013 in Collecting
Now, it's only Year 2 of the Super Heroes theme. But scoping Brickipedia, I noticed the newly released Superman sets are the last on the list for 2013. That is a bummer. (Technically only 6 releases in 2013, another bummer).

I'm hoping there are some surprise sets in waiting for the fall.

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,891
    Could be some Thor 2 sets to coincide with the November film. Perhaps three as is the current trend? (three Man of Steel, three Iron Man 3). I certainly hope so. Really liked the first Thor.
    icey117
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,316
    I am not anticipating any more Super Heroes sets before the traditional Winter wave, when I hope we will be getting some more Batman villains. The theme is crying out for an updated Killer Croc, Ra's Al Ghul and Calendar Man among others.
    kissyfur_ok
  • RastRast Member Posts: 111
    I would love an Odin poly. We get superman's dad in a poly. Why not Thors!
    epyon396MathBuildericey117kissyfur_ok
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I'm still waiting for the X-Men sets. Really surprised we have only had one small set for such a popular comic.
    yys4uZony2joshkissyfur_ok
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    I'm still waiting for the X-Men sets. Really surprised we have only had one small set for such a popular comic.
    RomanticWarrior
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    Whatever happened to the 'Marvel 4' set that was rumored at some point. I think a few people assumed it was an FF one?

But yes, I agree with Bumblepants that we'll likely see some as-yet-unannounced Thor sets around Oct/Nov.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    May be some to coincide with the game launch. Which reminds me I really should play batman 2. Or, maybe a superhero calendar with a wolverine Santa Claus. Ha!
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    The Superman Sets are just really weird in their pairings of minifigs. The smallest one has no exclusives. The medium is just Lois Lane. and the largest one, also has the widest selection. It's basically the only one I'll be buying. I dont need another car, nor 3 zods and 3 supes.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    ^I'll see your weird pairings in Superman and raise you one Aquaman+Batman.
    carlqkrklint
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    I really hope there's more. I have every intention of buying every Marvel set that gets released, provided they stay this awesome.
    They kind of rejuvenated my love of comics.

@Renny - I'm with you. We need more X-Men.
    The Wolverine set is NEVER in stock around me. Hopefully strong sales of that one will bring more.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    To be honest I wouldn't be too sure that we will get any more superhero sets this year.
    If you look at the big selling brands on the marvel side there is Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man and then the rest (based on hours in Disney shops and in there theme parks this year and observing what flys of the shelf). Thor is not a character that is quite as popular and plays to a slightly older fan, on the DC side there is only Batman and Superman so even with a Thor film coming out I wouldn't say it is a slam dunk for more sets. Also as a company they are ramping up for the big Star Wars 30 anniversary ROTJ push so they may want to give those sets more shelf space rather than have them compete with other licences? Or not, just a thought? I would say some Captain America sets in the New Year or more Ulitmate Spider-Man sets are more likely the next lot, maybe some extra Batman general sets but I think all officially for Jan 1st.
    tensor said:

Hey, anything to get that JSA together... just waiting for the Robin + Flash + Red Hood obstacle course.

• dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    tensor said:

You can unlock and play as Aquaman and Mr.Freeze in LEGO Batman 2 game. It does not look weird for the game players. White suit batman on the other hand...
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    We still have a Robin polybag coming out later this year.
    Drmnez
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Considering how many adult fans of Marvel/DC, where are our mega sets?

The Batcave and Quinjet are just not it... I'd be up for a $200 large display set...
    CapnRex101Drmnezindigobox

The Batcave and Quinjet are just not it... I'd be up for a $200 large display set...

What, Arkham Asylum not enough for you?

The problem is there aren't too many iconic locations or vehicles outside of sets already produced. On the Marvel side, Avengers Mansion and the Xavier's School could be good I suppose, but only if they're under attack.

Ooh, an Avengers Mansion from the Under Siege storyline with a few Masters of Evil...

Considering how many adult fans of Marvel/DC, where are our mega sets?

I would pay $200 for USC BlackBird (X-Men's jet)
    richl said:

What, Arkham Asylum not enough for you?

No, it is terrible in my opinion... It is smaller than the modulars for more money. Put GE or PS next to it, makes AA look sad.

When I saw it built in the store, I had to do a double take. My wife was with me at the time and I pointed it out, she said, "aww, that is cute"... Then I showed her the price, and she said, "what are they thinking?"

$120 would have been the right price point for that set. Bleah...

Besides, that is a kids set, make some adult sets... :)
    yys4u
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    richl said:

Whatever happened to the 'Marvel 4' set that was rumored at some point. I think a few people assumed it was an FF one?

There is a FF reboot movie in the works so it may have been shelved till then to go along with the movie.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    The Arkham Asylum set is what gives me pause when I hope for a nice Xavier Mansion set. I see the Superheroes sets as being set in stone as a 'kids' theme, though I still maintain they could potentially do a fantastic brick-built Sentinel. And sell dozens of them to single buyers who wanted to build a Sentinel army to boot. Hopefully they work them in when DoFP comes out, even though it wouldn't be the 'film version' obviously...
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055

It is smaller than the modulars for more money. Put GE or PS next to it, makes AA look sad.

Unless you are considering the minifigures included... AA has what? Like 4 or 5 exclusive minifigures? So far it is the only batman 2 set to include scarecrow, penguin, and hooded robin and it will most likely be the only set that includes jumpsuit joker and Dr. Harleen Quinzel.

I agree that it is on the high end, but I do give the set props for the minfigs it packs. The haunted house only had 2 exclusives and I think the same goes for the upcoming tower of orthanc.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, not a fair comparison of AA against modulars which are minifig-lite so apple-oranges on that one @LFT. You're also immune to the fig craze so I wouldn't expect AA to do much for you versus Petshop for instance.

A more apt comparison is Arkham versus Jabba's Palace. Both are flimsy on the building aspect, but chock full of exclusive figs. In this regard, AA kicks the hell out of JP for the building component. But loses to JP for minifigs IMO.
    y2joshAnthonyC173
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    richl said:

But yes, I agree with Bumblepants that we'll likely see some as-yet-unannounced Thor sets around Oct/Nov.

'Marvel 4' was the preliminary name for the Malibu Mansion Attack.

I doubt we will see any UCE superhero sets after the failure of the UCE Batmobile :(

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    ^They could at least do an Iron Man sculpture or try something else to re-test the market. Not all the SW UCS sets light the world on fire. And the UCS Batmobile is a nice set, timing wasn't right on it.
    CircleK said:

Unless you are considering the minifigures included... AA has what? Like 4 or 5 exclusive minifigures?

So has LEGO really become an action figure and doll company, with building blocks an afterthought? :(

Yes, I get that people like figs, clearly they are selling sets, but I still think it is a bit sad.

Pet Shop is a really nice building, it is complete on all 4 sides, has 2 halves, interior details, and is an interesting build.

AA is just a front facade, which isn't a crime, but it is a kids playset, open on the back so kids can play with it. Pet Shop is more meant to be looked at than played with.

I will grant that both are doll houses, I just feel that PS is a much better value, but that is my opinion.
    dougtsyys4ucanon03
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    The Arkham Asylum is a pretty cool set. Yeah, it's a little expensive, but still around the 10 cents per piece ratio, and the minifigs are all top-notch. We definitely need a Marvel flagship set though. Baxter Building, Avengers Mansion, X-Men Mansion, these would all be really good, even if similar to AA.
    CapnRex101
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    For all we know they could be using the game to kick off marvel side, as batman (dc) had the jump on them
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    graphite said:

richl said:

There is a FF reboot movie in the works so it may have been shelved till then to go along with the movie.
    The reboot is with Fox, not Disney/Marvel so the license doesn't extend there. That said, it didn't stop them basically doing a Wolverine/X-Men film mash-up under the guise of the comics license.

I was hoping we'd see some Thor sets, but agree that we would probably heard rumours by now, and may not have the same wide appeal or fanbase as the Superman/Iron Man stuff had.
    I note from the various news stories today, Sony may have over reached, be struggling or whatever you want to call it. They are meant to be discussing selling spiderman back to Disney/Marvel!

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    Superman sets were just released, Ironman has been out for about a month. I expect Lego to reveal more sets during San Diego Comic Con in mid July. The animated series Avengers Assemble is premiering this weekend so that might provide additional opportunity for sets besides Thor and Ultimate Spiderman.
    LostInTranslationandhe

richl said:

'Marvel 4' was the preliminary name for the Malibu Mansion Attack.

Ah, okay - thanks. Shame. I was looking forward to a Lego version of the Thing.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    I always forget that Lego launches next year's sets in Nov/Dec, so hopefully we'll get an idea of the "2014" wave soon.

Hoping for some of the $10-$12 sets with 4 figs (most of the other licensed series have done that - SW, HP, IJ, POTC, etc). Fat chance of that I suppose.
    ^it would have one or two figs that are probably in other sets, and two army builders....kinda like the Lone Ranger battle packs.

Why cant we get actual Battle Packs?
    POTC, PQ and AC had them.

But there were on heavy clearance at EOL, which tells me they didn't perform well. MF has one out now, so to speak. LR would be perfect for that.

Even City police and fire have some currently now I believe.
    Captain America set is a "battle pack," but to get an alien army, you need an army of Super soldiers, as well...I'd be fine with the nondescripts.
    edited May 2013
    jasor said:

^it would have one or two figs that are probably in other sets, and two army builders....kinda like the Lone Ranger battle packs.

Why cant we get actual Battle Packs?

Just curious what you would expect in Super Heroes battle packs ? LR and SW have some kind of foot soldiers that can come in duplicates for battle packs. Unless it is Multiple Man (actual Marvel superhero), I do not see why one would want multiple copies of a superhero in a single set.
    IMHO, in superhero world, battlepacks are only needed to get multiple henchmen. The Captain America set is probably the closest you can get to a battlepack.

ETA: darn it you answered my question before I asked them.
    jasor said:

Captain America set is a "battle pack," but to get an alien army, you need an army of Super soldiers, as well...I'd be fine with the nondescripts.

When do we need numbers on the good guy side ? One(or few) vs many is always the staple of super heroes stories

shield agents vs aliens? I think extra Iron man armors vs Extremis henchmen would have been cool ..... vs. the Mandarin go cart.
    kissyfur_ok
    Ok, I give you the shiled agents. You may even get your wish if/when the Agents of SHEILD TV series is picked up ;)
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    A large Shield helicarrier would be a great set
    yys4ukissyfur_ok

Ok, I give you the shiled agents. You may even get your wish if/when the Agents of SHEILD TV series is picked up ;)

Its been given a full season order, starts this fall on ABC. Think its on Tuesdays at 8pm.
    Just seen that we could be getting one/two mini figs for quicksilver. The character is in the scripts for xmen and avengers.....
  • RastRast Member Posts: 111
    What would be cool, if they did a superheroes line, similar to SW planets, or even the Ninjago spinners.Containing one minifigure, a minibuild or special base for the character. They could cover so many characters without random set designs.
    kissyfur_ok
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    Just give us Superhero CMF's. They would sell. Then get back to releasing building sets, instead of minifigure sets. I came out of my dark ages because of the Taj Majal, the Grand Carousel, and Emerald Night.

I'm probably wrong, but it seems these amazing stand-alone "display" sets have become less of a focus. The whole marketing within TLG seems to have changed from quality and substance in the build to builds that support minifigures. And while I'm at it, give us back Grab Bags! Ok, time to rebuild some classic space sets.
  • super_curry_maxsuper_curry_max Member Posts: 75
    Lego could do a ton of giant sets based on famous marvel and dc locales.

Asteroid M
    Savage Land
    the aforementioned x and avengers mansion
    baxter building
    shield helicarrier
    punisher van
    the vault
    negative zone prision
    hells kitchen
    cyrpus hill cemtary
    weapon x lab
    fortress of solitude
    Oa
    apokolips
    the arrow cave
    lexcorp
    titans tower
    Justice league watch tower
    hall of justice!
    BrickDanceryys4u
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    They won't change it, the sets are selling because of the new demand for the minifigs. They won't stop selling £20 sets that people want for the figures, so they can make £9 sets that people can get the figures they want from.

I'd go mad for a superhero figure line, or a SW planets like set up, but right now there's no incentive for them to change it up as it's a winning recipe.
    andhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    ^This. Why sell an exclusive figure individually when you can tempt someone into buying a bigger set just to obtain the same figure.

There are also restrictions on licensed themes that prevent them from basically selling 'action figures' rather than building sets.
    This is why it is unlikely we'll see any licensed battlepacks.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
    I'd love just one THOR set: chromegold Throneroom with Odin, Thor and his fighter team and 200 warrior in parade! Would be really nice!
  • FoxyA19FoxyA19 Member Posts: 124
    I don't think we should have to wait for new films to be released in order for new sets to be produced, why can't LEGO purely release sets from the comics to add to our collections!
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 339
    They did a battle pack for POTC
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Lego makes sets on profit. They probably won't make ones from the comics unless there is a demand and popularity for those heroes/villains or make a movie/tv show of them.
    Don't forget they have to collaborate with the theme license holder too