Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Why not add topic title in webpage title?

nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
The Brickset page title is always 'Brickset forum | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database'.

Why not shorten it and add the topic title to it, say,

"Brickset forum - Why not add topic title in webapge title?"
tedward

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,458
    Done!
    tedward
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
    I preferred having it with Brickset as the first word in the title. That way when the window is minimised, you can easily see which window is which in the tabs. Now it no longer says brickset, unless the thread title is very short.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    ^ I agree. With tons of tabs open having a tab titled "Why not add t" visible does not easily identify the tab as the Brickset forum. Would prefer "Brickset - Why not add topic title in webpage title?" or some such so I can tell it is a Brickset tab, etc.
    edited May 2013
    I don't actually have any control over the title because the forum is provided as SAAS. Before I made the change, the <head> I added to the template took precedence over the default forum one, which, now I've removed mine, is the one shown.

So, which is it to be?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
    I prefer the old way. I tend to have many windows or tabs open in addition to brickset (and just one brickset window or tab at a time), and being able to identify the site name is most important. I don't tend to have lots of brickset threads open at once and so don't need to know what different threads I have open.
    Bumblepants
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    edited May 2013
    Huw said:

I don't actually have any control over the title because the forum is provided as SAAS. Before I made the change, the <head> I added to the template took precedence over the default forum one, which, now I've removed mine, is the one shown.

It should be templated in the forum default page? Since the title has the format "%TITLE% - %SITE%" now.

Is it possible to copy the forum default page and change the title inside?

Something else struck me too. The Brickset forum doesn't have a favicon!
    No, the template just has

{asset name='Head'}

which tells Vanilla where to put the stylesheets, head tag and so on.
    edited May 2013
    Vanilla Forums?

Do you have access to the file themes/head.php?

You may need to edit the title there.

The trunk code looks like this:
    <title>'.$this->Context->Configuration['APPLICATION_TITLE'].' - '.$this->Context->PageTitle.'</title>
    Which looks like it should show the forum name followed by the subject. Brickset does not use this version, but it should have a similar format.

Vanilla Forums experts, please correct me if there's a better way to do this.
    ^ No, I have access to nothing other than what Vanilla provides though its dashboard.
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    Can a favicon be added? (I don't see one) That might make it easier to discern as a Brickset browser window/tab instead of needing Brickset at the beginning of the title.
    edited May 2013
    One last resort for people who wants 'Brickset' in front.

You are able to add JavaScript code, I presume?
    document.title = document.title.replace(/^(.*)( - )(.*)$/, "$3$2$1");
    :-D

But for me, the Brickset favicon works well.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
    I like the topic in the tab name - I can infer by context if it's Brickset or not.
    Or do what I do - have an entire browser instance open just for non-work items. ;)
  • iadamsiadams UKMember Posts: 33
    The titles of pages have recently changed. Previously, titles were something like 'Brickset forum Recent discussions', now they're 'Recent discussions - Brickset'.

This now makes it harder to find minimised windows from my window menu, as they are sorted alphabetically by title. The Brickset forum window now moves around depending on what page (recent discussions, or some thread title) instead of always being 'Brickset...' so I know where to find it. What I can't find, I can't read.

Any chance of this reverting to the useful [to me at least] behaviour of old?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,266
    @Huw, of those that have commented there's a clear consensus to return to the previous format. That would also be my preference.

;-)
    ^I'm in the minority here, it seems (nothing new there, though), but I have multiple tabs of the forum open at any given time, and it saves me time to know which is which.
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    ^ i would say the opposite actually! given the number of Brickset forum users i would say the number of people that object to the change is minimal given the very few complaints on this thread... if there was uproar about it this would probably on page 12 by now ;o)

just my 2p's worth!
    Or, most people don't feel strongly enough about it either way to comment, but of those who do, most don't like the change.
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    sorry Dr D, i guess that's what i was trying to get at with my observation... i'm in the "i have 10 forum thread pages open, and this way is easier to see which is which" camp then i guess! you're not alone @morkman ;o)
    MorkMan
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Member Posts: 115
    +1 for the old way - don't like the change.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    Old fashioned over here, as well. +another for the olden days.
    Don't fear change. My little green SW friend says "Fear is the path to the dark side!"
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I prefer the new change to display the thread title, but I don't feel that strongly about it.