Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Iron man sets contra movies

icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
edited May 2013 in Collecting
Maybe this has been discussed, but I just came home from the cinema after having watched IRON MAN 3, and looking at the sets again... I'm really think its a mess. The sets are out of touch with the movie.

76006 Extremis Sea Port Battle
- Where did that boat come from? It match 0%!
- The Warmachine, yes, but should it be iron patriot coloured?
- Adran wasn't even close to that scene!

76007: Malibu Mansion Attack
- The Mandarin? Not even close to that action-scene!
- grey skinned extrimis soldier? Orange w red eyes would suit the movie.

76008-1: Iron Man vs. The Mandarin: Ultimate Showdown
- firstly, what showdown? Ultimate? I know they cant make a LEGO set of the "showdown" they did have (hmph, hmph, would not be decent) but this is nowhere in the story.
- secondly that robot is pure imagination too.
- if it was THAT showdown, the suit didn't arrive till later. He had his hobby made things-gadgets on.

As we talked about during a simlar talk about THE HOBBIT sets the sets are designed in an early stage of the movie. But either the script wasn't done at all OR Marvel didn't give any bones away, LEGO has guessed or worked in blindness. Either way - I hope LEGO gets dicount on this licencedeal. They sure deserves it!

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    These days the sets seem to be more play sets, rather than scenes from the film. I guess it is part not giving the story away, part timing of lego design / film editing, part playability, part cost structure.
    icey117
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    We sort of discussed this here http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/181855/#Comment_181855

But I'll reiterate my thoughts.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS//POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I think misdirection could be part of it, but now having seen the film I much less likely to want certain figures (cough cough Mandarin) due to the way they were portrayed.

I think part of it is also due to TLG's need to put a vehicle in every set to make it more 'playable'. So set suggestions such as 'Stark and Rhodes fight (bad guys) on a boat' becomes 'Sea Port battle'. Still no idea where Mandarin's go-kart came from though.

If they'd have named a set 'Final (character) showdown' it would have kind of ruined a number of the films plot twists.

In the end, a kid is going to probably make up their own play storylines anyway, so it's more about getting characters (based on earlier sketches hence the discrepncies) and play features into a set of certain size and price point.
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    UUDDLRLRBAS
    RomanticWarriorsidersddy2joshkissyfur_ok
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    epyon396 said:

UUDDLRLRBAS

I didn't get it until I re-read the post's title. :)

• bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    What's really disappointing is to have War Machine in 76006. War machine is not even in the movie at all! and is iron patriot throughout.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    The only way War Machine makes sense is that they didn't make any Iron Man 2 sets, so didn't have an opportunity to include him. Hes an important suit so they had to make him at some point.

As for the Mandarin, well they've included him in the sets because hes the "headline villain". The sets are geared more towards kids playing, because there isn't really many vehicles in the story (although a big jet plane set would've been amazing), so they had to include some vehicles to interest kids.

Its a bit disappointing, but I see why they did it, plus we got some great figs (bar Iron Patriot).
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    edited May 2013
    Initially i was disappointed the sets bear no resemblance to the film. But thinking about it we have 2 mandarin figures, war machine mk 1&2, 2/3 suits, and tony. Thats a good spread from one movie.
    If the 'sea battle' set had Iron Patriot instead of War Machine, it would have been a 'must-buy' for me. Either it was TLG's interpretation of a prelim scene, or a deliberate choice to NOT include him, knowing he would be a sought after figure (and a boost for the video game).
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    I've thought about it and just because they made the Mandarin into a joke in the movie, it doesn't mean we can't see him as the Mandarin from the comic book.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    ^^ I really don't see the problem with war machine, being in the wrong suit.

This way we get both.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
    epyon396 said:

UUDDLRLRBAS

Didn't get it at all!
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    I agree, the sets are terrible, not even close to the film and it if wasn't for the minifigures in them I doubt they'd sell.
    icey117
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    icey117 said:

epyon396 said:

UUDDLRLRBAS

Didn't get it at all!
    Here you go ...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uuddlrlrba

I had to google it.
    andheicey117
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
    BRC said:

I agree, the sets are terrible, not even close to the film and it if wasn't for the minifigures in them I doubt they'd sell.

True. I bought the boat set just for the two iron suits. Don't know what I'll do with rest of the Lego.

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,316
    I must say I rather like the boat, but would agree that the decisions made on what to include in the sets as a whole are very bizarre. I suppose they were going on preliminary images alone and early scripts.
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    I believe Lego aren't given any help with the sets from Marvel. They have to guess most of the plot. They're given a brief overview, "Mandarin is the big baddy, Tonys mansion is destroyed by helicopter attack, he borrows a boat.....", and Lego have to make educated guesses as to what they think it'll all be like - they can't risk an intern or someones kid at Lego leaking the big twist in the movie. If they're lucky, they can use the trailers for some hints, but otherwise they're on their own.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
    Protecting a prelimitary script... too long production line! TLC can't wait... makes wild guesses and gamles! Makes sence! But still boring for selective consumers!
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    so.....did they know about War Machine not being in the movie, or was it an educated guess that he would be due to casting?

Are they still to blame for making Iron Patriot so exclusive after all their production lines made so far in advance?
    ^Who Iron Patriot was, and his design was meant to be fairly guarded during filming I believe. Mainly because his origin is vastly different from the comics, and his various usages during the movie. It could be plausible that TLG didn't have access to this info during their design stage?

So a scene that reads 'Stark and Rhodes pursue Killian on a boat...', is interpreted as 'Iron Man and War Machine chase Killian on a boat...'
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    ^thats what I was thinking. Now, they have the IP minifig once the cat's out of the bag. After seeing the movie, they missed the mark on Mandarin, and although the "glow" feature is cool...the Extremis folks should really have been orange, and more widely available in bulk.
    ^ Yeah again, I guess 'Glowing soldiers' can be interpreted in a number of ways. And TLG took the glow in the dark route. It all makes sense in my mind anyway.

To be honest, I wonder how many kids play with the toys, having never seen the films that they're licensed from anyway (LOTR for a bigger example). When I saw Iron Man I was surprised that a number of parents thought it appropriate to bring their 6/7 year old child to. I think the general advice on a 12a (in the UK) is a lower age of about 9.