Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

There seems to be an inconsistency in the design of CMFs

chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
Yesterday I opened a Sea Captain and a "Biker?". Whoever designed the captain gave him a captain's hat and a seagull and then said, "You know what, I think he needs more accessories!" so they gave him some binoculars too! The best they could give the biker was a bandanna and a wrench, the accessory you give to a CMF so you can say you gave him an accessory (for example: crash test dummy). The skydiver has a helmet and a parachute (which I'd call more of a backpack) while Medusa has an intricate headpiece and body design. The Aztec in series 7 also has an intricate headpiece, plus a shield and a spear. The swimmer has(wah wah wah) a medal. I would think that it costs more to make Medusa than the clown or the baseball player in series 10, so why don't all of the CMFs have more of a "balance" (for want of a better word) in design and accessories? Are the CMFs actually broken down in rares, commons and uncommons, the rarer the figure the more intricate it's design? Or do the designers just come up with whatever they can imagine and Lego gives it the green light as long as it can be produced under a certain cost?

Comments

• legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 445
    I think that also the cost of production determines the rarity of the figure.

In example, many intricate figures, such as medusa or the bee girl, or with many accessories, such as the sea captain and others are usually the ones with only 2 per box.

However, the skydiver, baseball fielder and the Angels' mechanic are the common ones, with 6 per box.
  • pillpodpillpod Member Posts: 273
    It's probably a matter of budget. They might skimp out on a few figures to make a few others that much better. The only way you can make a good medusa is to do what tlg did.

It's sort of like a bottle episode in a tv series, which is usually inexpensive and heavy on dialogue in order to save money for future episodes that require more money.

The mechanic could do with more accessories or better accessories, but he's still a mechanic. Same with the baseball players. It's definitely on purpose in the sense that tlg is going to do what makes sense financially. What else are you going to give a swimmer?
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    @pillpod said: What else are you going to give a swimmer?

A swimming pool of course!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    S10 mechanic has arm printing.
    pillpod
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    LegoMom1 said:

@pillpod said: What else are you going to give a swimmer?

A swimming pool of course!

Well, what about a small molded duffel bag or some other bag? Something like that would be valuable for people looking for reusable elements and swimmers do need something to carry dry clothing and post swimming items in. Or maybe a few elements(like a 2X2 and 2 1X6 plates) for a diving board
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    legoprods said:

I think that also the cost of production determines the rarity of the figure.

In example, many intricate figures, such as medusa or the bee girl, or with many accessories, such as the sea captain and others are usually the ones with only 2 per box.

However, the skydiver, baseball fielder and the Angels' mechanic are the common ones, with 6 per box.

There's a flaw in that argument because the roman commander is one of the more intricate figures, yet it's as prevalent as the motorcycle/parachutist.

Either way, I'm sure they have some kind of formula they use for how many total "intricacy" points a box can have and when they reach it, we get lame figures to round out the good ones.