Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Why no Clutch Powers tie-in models?

Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
edited March 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I am puzzled by Lego not launching (or re-releasing with branding) the sets featured in the Clutch Powers movie. Most kids films have huge amounts of tie-in merchandise while Lego, who are in the business of making toys after all, seemingly failed to capitalise on the opportunity. Does anyone know why or did I just miss them?

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    No, I don't think you missed them. I don't know, maybe because it was a straight to DVD film, they didn't think the audience would be big enough to justify it. I've seen the movie and it's watchable but not great IMO, but it's not really made for me is it ;o)
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited March 2011
    I've seen the movie...
    What's it like? Does it feature existing models?
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Sorry Matt, my memory is truly appalling, I just remember my overall impression of the movie was not favourable. I do remember the crystal king power miners set was in it, and that's about it!
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    I actually thought it was a pretty good film for its target audience. It features a number of sets including some (most?) that were already out of production.

There is more including a list here: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/2854298_LEGO:_The_Adventures_of_Clutch_Powers

It is the fact that they used existing and previous sets that caused me to be so puzzled as to why they didn't re-release at least three of four key ones with as seen in 'The Adventures of Clutch Powers' branding.
  • jatonazjatonaz Member Posts: 7
    The movie is mainly based on existing models, so from a marketing standpoint I would say it's the other way around---there are no CP sets because CP itself was a media tie-in to help market the products featured in the film. Which in turn also makes me ask Can_n_Stu's question---why market OOP sets?