Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

My particular illness

August222August222 Member Posts: 5
edited June 2011 in Collecting

Ok, this is a thread for AFOL confessions. Describe the origin of your particular LEGO illness. Mine follows.

The year is 1977. My brothers challenge me to yet another spaceship design challenge. (We make spaceships and then throw them down the stairs. The ones that survive are the best designs) I go for the boxy lander-type of spaceship. My brothers go for the Apollo re-entry type of ship—the designs are not important. (Star Wars has not yet involved our young lives.)

What is important is that times are tough and we have not seen a new LEGO set since the late 1960s. Special elements for spaceships are in high demand. Actually, it is so bad, our one shoe box of LEGO retains only—the one and only—one red, round, 1 x 1 brick. Now this brick gets a lot of action: it represents the laser on one design, the bomb device on another. And there is only one. We fight for it. Regularly.

How does this consistent childhood event contribute to my LEGO illness about thirty years later? Simple. I horde small, 1 x 1, elements. Not 1 x 2s, not 2 x 3s. 1 x 1s. With God as my witness, I’ll never go without a red, round, 1 x 1 brick again. (Actually, when I first discovered Bricklink upon leaving my dark ages, I purchased 20 of the little suckers. Ha! Keep me from such technology again, will you? I don’t think so!!! I also purchase amazing Star Wars sets for my nephews. When I see strange, 1 x 1, greebley parts, I utter the word “Excellent!” like some sort of James Bond villain. Those kids don’t know how great they have it! Why, do you know how valuable a Gungan shield would be in my day??!? Bah!)

So this is what plagues my collection—hundreds of 1 x 1 elements. The rarer, the better. Recently, I discovered the strangeness of trans light blue 1 x 1 tiles: good lord. Yes there were purchases.

So what LEGO behavior can you attribute to your pre-dark ages?

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    LOL! Nice story! As children me and my siblings received space sets, trains, and some city sets. But what I always really wanted was castle! I remember wishfully looking thru the LEGO catalogs looking at knights! Somehow non of the adults in the family were into castle, so we didn't get any. )c:
    When I got out of my dark ages the first thing I did was build armies - with lots of knights of course! (c;
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    Brilliant. :oD

• achillespdxachillespdx Member Posts: 106
    My current illness involves a 20 pound (as in weight, not money) sack of assorted Lego I just got off craigslist for $50. As this is my first mixed lot of Lego I've ever purchased, naturally I have to sort and catalog EVERY piece on Peeron so I know what I have. My wife must think I'm insane and I'm beginning to agree with her... But jeeze... I almost like the sorting and cataloging MORE than the building - if that's not an illness, I don't know what is!
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    When I was young I'd be given all these giant Brick Buckets at Christmas and on Birthdays. Sure enough my sister and I would dump these on to the floor making a huge mess. We'd each grab a few green baseplates and start searching for all the unique parts. Somehow my sister always turned up with the cool pieces and all I was left with were some Flames and a hair brush. My house always looked aweful while my sister had her minifigs living in a palace. Yep, life was unfair but I'm the little brother who gets stuck with the imperfect things. I'd even be the one tasked with the cleanup.

To this day I still leave my assorted bricks tossed all over my floor so I can easily find them. Yes it's a mess, probably one filled with more than just Lego spiders! I normally wouldn't have called my messy en-mass assorted bricks an illness, but after seeing images of a few Brickset.er's collections I'm sorta flustered. Man, I seem to be the only slob who just can't clean up after himself... even into my adulthood.
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    I came out of my dark ages with SW like many others but have shifted my love to wheeled vehicles. The crazier the better. Especially ones that look like they are ready to destroy other Lego creations. This is why I love World Racers.

I never thought about it till I read this post, but I guess it all goes back to my brothers and I favourite Lego game (similar to the spaceships down the stairs). We would build the most indestructable cars we could and hurl them accross the floor head on and see whos smashed the least. You can imagine that there is little accuracy in this and mum always tried to stop us if she caught us (the walls took a battering). By the end they ended up looking like something the final survivours in a zombie movie would make out of a bank truck, or bricks. We would even jump on them to get the bricks to stick together better.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    My dark ages I remember wanting most of the sets of the 80's for Town but my parents never getting them for me (as they were really not cheap back then either).. including, not at the time in my mind, the train (7722).. Flash forward to now and I have almost every city set from the 80's early 90's and almost every train from the 80's til now...lol
    Plus the 80's style Lego just has more of a sentimentality to me, they just strike me as great builds where Lego still only had a select number of parts and did not make a new part all the time.. so a lot more ingenious building then now where if Lego needs a part, they simply make it.... That and every big set had a fully 32x32 baseplate, or two....
    edited June 2011
    I never thought about it till I read this post, but I guess it all goes back to my brothers and I favourite Lego game (similar to the spaceships down the stairs). We would build the most indestructable cars we could and hurl them accross the floor head on and see whos smashed the least.
    Should have built the car out of nothing but plates :-)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    On the original question - they say that the things which you crave when youre a child you end up making up for when you're older, and I only had a few hand-me down lego sets for many years. Lets just say Ive made up for that now!

Also I still think of trans pieces as being 'special' for some reason.
  • LordShockwaveLordShockwave Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2011
    My current illness involves a 20 pound (as in weight, not money) sack of assorted Lego ...
    now that is nice, (the 20 pound sack, not the wife thinking your insane part)
  • achillespdxachillespdx Member Posts: 106
    edited June 2011
    ^^
    It's fun going through this random set of bricks and cataloging it on Peeron - I'm able to get a pretty good idea of what sets the pieces came from. For instance, I'm pretty sure there's a Tie Fighter & Y-Wing set in there from the old gray 4x4 round bricks combined with a few other unique parts, there's most of an old technic building basics set, and what appears to be a dinosaur set with some dark orange plates - plus a ton of other stuff I haven't identified yet.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I just picked up a 15 pound box of loose lego for 20 bucks through Kijiji .. about 5 of it was megablocks... the rest was straight bricks for the most part... did have some old metal pin wheels, windows and a 1x6 fire station brick... was my first time doing this and it was fun to see what you get
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,686
    edited June 2011
    ...they say that the things which you crave when youre a child you end up making up for when you're older...
    I can vouch for that with 60 pairs of Air Jordans in my wardrobe (parents didn't have the cash to buy when I was a kid) and a heap of Lego coming out of my ears!!
  • August222August222 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    On the original question - they say that the things which you crave when youre a child you end up making up for when you're older, and I only had a few hand-me down lego sets for many years. Lets just say Ive made up for that now!

Also I still think of trans pieces as being 'special' for some reason.
    Your first comment is so true--I can remember thinking, "Why only one? This is crazy."

And I think my obsession with trans parts comes from this time as well. I've never been to a LEGO store and that PaB wall--I feel like I would make an absolute fool of myself. Talk about compensating for the shoebox...
    ^lol
    Pick a brick definitely sucks you in.. even though most parts can be found in greater quantities for their prices on shop.lego.com but it is a neat novelty and I always get sucked in to getting at least one cup...
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 10
    I had a particular challenge with my cousin. He had the 8860 car chassis and the game was who would be the first to build a 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering and 4 wheel independent suspension car in the line of the 8860. Let me tell you that wasn't easy with the parts available in the beginning of the eighties!
  • AScaryOctopusAScaryOctopus Member Posts: 57
    I loved pirates when I was little and always wanted a ship, but I was in a poor family so I had to deal. First thing LEGO purchase I made upon getting my own house? Imperial Flagship!
  • war44lockwar44lock Member Posts: 75
    I remember looking through the catalogs as a kid, day and night I would look through them and dream. In my mind I new what I would get, in what order i would get them if I could get them all, and I could picture the huge scenes in my mind with clarity. I was obsessed. Most of all I wanted the big Pirate ships and the big Castles and Forest Men sets. I did alright and credit to my parents because Lego in New Zealand in the 80's was like gold!
    I got Black Monarchs Castle and Forbidden Island as presents and I was very happy but I was thinking. Who are the Black Monarch guys gonna fight? And how do my Pirates get around with out a ship?
    My second ever purchase after coming out of my dark ages was Brickbeards Bounty and my third was an older King Leo's Castle followed by the new Kings Castle form Kingdoms. Since then I've picked up many classic castle and Pirate sets and I have given myself special permission to pay whatever it takes to get an older Pirate ship in perfect condition with the instructions and box. I simply must have one, That is my illness.
    Also I thought it was just me and my brother but we used to build cars and send them flying down the stairs to see who's car would survive the best. Glad to see we weren't the only ones.
  • JezzatheshedJezzatheshed Member Posts: 153
    I'm over it now but I used to have a thing about pin wheels and blocks which stemmed from an incident at school when I was 7.
    For my 6th birthday I was given one of those wonderfull multi tray sets which let you build a house or a car and it was great ( when I think of the cigarettes my dad smoked to get enough embassy vouchers though it make me cringe).
    At school we also had some lego and if you were very good you got to play with it in the afternoon.
    Then came the class project which was about Holland and me being a clever clogs (cloggs -Holland- Get it!) and having home experiance built a very nice lego windmill with rotating sails.
    My teacher was over the moon and decided to add it to a model of a canal the class was building. The model was displayed for six weeks and boy did I get it from the other boys in the class.
    You see the school set only had 4 wheel bricks and pin wheels and I had tied one up in my windmill so no one else could use it, none of the other boys could build any cars!
    Plenty of thumps came my way!
  • vortexdragonvortexdragon Member Posts: 24
    My illness is definately the obsession of building an army. The only problem with that is once I get a little army for a faction (be it dragon knights, pirates, wolfpack, etc) I have to build at least a small base for them. So buying some minifigs becomes buying some sets which becomes buying some loose parts to build a MOC using said sets I bought. Darn that bricklink!

As far as compensating for parts that were sparse in childhood, for me it's got to be the trans orange fire. I only had 4 for the longest time, and then when I started buying lego again I ordered about 20 of the suckers.