Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Enough is enough. (just venting about collectible minifigs)

jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
edited June 2011 in Collecting
I'm almost ready to forget about collecting collectible minifigs. I wondered if anyone had the same thoughts as I did:

1. There is no real playability in them.
2. They are to consuming resource wise--I could have a few more starfighters, or catapults, or city buildings for what they end up costing me.

Anyway, I'm just venting. I'm almost ready to sell my collection, but the resale value right now is pathetic. I guess I'll wait 20 or so years and then try. :)

Comments

• BinaryCodeBinaryCode Member Posts: 15
    Part of the lure of Collectible Minifigs is the hunt. Whenever a new series comes out, I immediately start pestering my "local" (45 min away) Toys R Us, calling them multiple times each day. Whenever I hear that Target or WalMart has them, that's where you can find me. Also, the blind packaging just adds to the thrill. Even once you've found the figs, you still have to "find the figs." I enjoy feeling out the little packets, trying to get the ones I want. They weren't meant to have a play value, they were meant to get people like me hooked. For me, the main draw of the Collectible Minifigs is the quest to get them in the first place.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,383
    I dunno...
    I just get a box from eBay. I mean they are readily found, especially series 4.
    Series 5 will not be any different.

• WillhornerWillhorner Member Posts: 36
    I personally love them. My kids play with them constantly and trade with their friends. a number of local businesses have CM trade days. not only are they great looking and great fun, but they are increasing the interest in lego in both kids and adults in my area.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I just caught the end of series 3 and when i saw the punk rocker with the black flying V in series 4.. i was hooked on the search.. ended up with the whole series except the hockey player before i found out about the dots...
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2011
    One of the benefits of the collectible figs is getting a great variety of minifigs really cheap! I mean for most people the only option to get minifigures is thru buying sets. There is the build-your-own-fig box at LEGO stores, but there are not a whole lot of LEGO stores around.

The collectibe figs introduced an increadible variety of really nice figs that would be impossible to get otherwise! I mean just think about the elf, the spartan, the Mexican, the clown, the cheerleader... and I could go on and on! (c:

I'm increadibly grateful for LEGO to introduce these figs to populate my MOCs!

Personally I don't get into the collecting part (like I HAVE TO HAVE them all), but just get the ones I really like. This way there is absolutely no pressure to collect (yeah, I see someone can burn out on that, and burn up more money than really necessary on some figs to collect dust), and I get the ones I find really useful for my MOCs! The best of both worlds! (c;
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Well i like 'em. I'd like them even more if they'd quit with the snowboarder, skateboarder rehash in every set. Especially as there are so sooo many other characters they could do first, such as:

School Uniform Girl (skirt) - great for St. Trinians mocs (especially if combined with Tennis player, and hockey sticks)
    Magician's Glamourous Assistant (with victorian style headdress & feathery dress sticking up at back),
    English Bobby (with truncheon... allo, allo, allo)
    (Canadian) Mountie, Fairy, Santa Claus, Highwayman, French/Venician Aristocrat (massive wig hairdo, ballgown etc), Roman Soldier (square shield),
    NFL (American Football) player,
    Duellist (dual expression: confident single raised eyebrow/worried, ruffed white shirt, ponytail, pistols).

and so forth...

• YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    I got over the "made in China" plastic simply because I really only manage to display them. Even with the yellow colours being a bit different the other unique parts would still fit perfectly with normal mini figures.

My issue is the price. It costs me $3.50 plus tax for one figure... so I think for series five I might only by a few. Who really cares about getting the whole set anymore?! Now that Lego poops these things out owning a whole set seems kind of stupid investment wise.

This is certainly a subject worth venting about, I'll say that much.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    I agree I'm over it. They are great to have, but I'm only going to get the ones I really like from now on. Forget it. :/
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited June 2011
    2. They are to consuming resource wise--I could have a few more starfighters, or catapults, or city buildings for what they end up costing me.
    I know you are just venting and I get the need for that too sometimes, but in all reality, I think comment 1 is VERY wrong my SON loves playing with them and that is possibly one of your problems, they are designed for kids to PLAY with and AFOLs to collect.
    And not sure on comment 2 either, they are as consuming as you choose, you can buy none and it cost nothing, or 1 for a few quid, it is your choice if you wish to collect them all. Otherwise you could say the same about LEGO in general... "I could have bought a car with just the amount it has cost me!" :)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,790
    This makes me smile. Anyone would think Lego were somehow 'forcing' you into buying these figures. This is not the case, just buy (or don't buy) the ones that you want! I think they've been a great addition to minfig parts and we're already seeing some used in mainstream themes (spartan helmet in atlantis, musketeers hat in PotC etc) so think it's great that Lego are expanding their range of pieces, and due to the cost of creating new parts, I would expect to see a lot more creeping into main usage.

Yes there seems to be a slight exhaustion from the quick succession of series releases, but please don't take away all those fantastic opportunities for brand new parts/faces/torsos/moulds!!!!!
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I LOVE THEM! But yea my interest is dying. I got close to 100 figs of series 2, maybe 50 of series 3, and series 4 I got about 30-40, every time the price increase I buy less, and making larger production of these is good because I'm not so stressed about getting to the store "first" but at the same time theres no hunt for me anymore. Basically I can wait a month after release and then causally walk into any store and they'll be there.

I'm sure lego will still have series 3 when series 5 comes out so they're losing their collectible aspect. If they make less, and increase the time between released, (maybe 3 sets a year?) I think they'd get their appeal back
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,704
    edited June 2011
    Anyone would think Lego were somehow 'forcing' you into buying these figures.
    Most AFOLs would agree that the hobby is an incredibly addictive one, and once started it is extremely difficult to resist buying more - just to complete. Whether or not we're interested in buying, as a completest, there is an urge for me to have them. LEGO know this, it's called 'good marketing'. Now that they've sunk their claws into us, they'll put the prices up and up with each new series.
    This is certainly a subject worth venting about, I'll say that much.
    Agreed.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I've always seen the collectible minifgs as a 'pick list' of great characters to add to sets and scenes, rather than something which you need to have all of for some reason. If you see them like that then they're a great way of getting some brilliant figures.

Personally I love em, but I'd like to see Lego sell them differently so you could get e.g. a monsters pack, or a sportspeople pack. Really dont like the 'blind buying' idea.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited June 2011
    The weird thing is, the collectable minifigs weren't created to target existing fans; the whole purpose behind them was to try to get people who had great memories of LEGO back into the LEGO-buying community. The original idea was to have them as impulse-buys at the register in many stores that weren't traditionally LEGO retailers, getting older teens & adults to remember how great LEGO is, and then encourage them to go down to TRU (or wherever) and buy more(TM) LEGO. I think LEGO themselves were surprised by how successful they've been in selling them, but I've no idea if they've been successful in achieving the original purpose.
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
    I like hearing the opinions. I like the suggestion of spacing them out more--it's crazy to call them collectible and then have 4 series in one year.

And, I do have to agree, it is great that you can get a musketeer, or elf, or zombie when otherwise you couldn't. I just think LEGO needs to rethink how often/how many they're releasing. I think eventually more and more people will just be like "oh yeah, a new series. Great" (Are you sensing my sarcasm?). Picture series 14 coming out. How many people will be interested?

Then again, Hotwheels is doing pretty well--even though a lot of cars are just re-releases with very minor modifications.
    It's really a "love-hate" for new figures like Elves and Spartans. Throughout our days as AFOLs we often throw around theme ideas in our own minds... knowing Lego may never hear our prayers. When we see Lego decide to make collectible minifig Spartans, and Gladiators, (etc) we begin to notice Lego realizes this is something we want. Well this is where the fun ends... this still stops us (and Lego) short of having an actual theme. So we're left with almost a brief "sample" of what could've possibly been an epic theme.

Sorry, but Rome would've been a great new twist on Castle.
    edited June 2011
    I know you are just venting and I get the need for that too sometimes, but in all reality, I think comment 1 is VERY wrong my SON loves playing with them and that is possibly one of your problems, they are designed for kids to PLAY with and AFOLs to collect.
    Yes but my nephew had the Ninja from Series 1 and wore off the paint.. Im nto sure if that is what JB15 is referring to, but from how I understand the graphics may not be built for the long haul... which would not be bad IF series 1 was not so insanely collectable (not sure if they fixed the 'decoration wear' issue with future sets as they just sit on my counter for now...)
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    @Ypres - Having aliens and cyborgs didn't stop Alien conquest from happening, and at least two collectable minifigure moulds (the S3 ray-gun and the S1 syringe) have made their way into the theme.

Anything that enables LEGO to make more, crazier elements and minifigures is OK by me.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    My son and I never really got into these minifigs. For me I can't stand the inferior Chinese production quality and my son only liked a few here and there. If they made a few of each series rarer than others and a few *very* limited figs it might have appealed to the collectors in us. Ebay is just flooded with these things so there is no fun collecting for me. They will make great stocking / birthday goodie bag stuffers tho.
    edited June 2011
    I like hearing the opinions. I like the suggestion of spacing them out more--it's crazy to call them collectible and then have 4 series in one year.

And, I do have to agree, it is great that you can get a musketeer, or elf, or zombie when otherwise you couldn't. I just think LEGO needs to rethink how often/how many they're releasing. I think eventually more and more people will just be like "oh yeah, a new series. Great" (Are you sensing my sarcasm?). Picture series 14 coming out. How many people will be interested?
    Well you have a point BUT Lego always intended for these to be bought and played with by Kids.. hence the increased price to stop resellers from trying to make a buck on desperate people and to also increase print runs to ensure people can get them (I mean Series 3 can still be purchased, albeit online only in most places).
    $3.50 per fig (after tax) sounds about right, you usually get an accessory for the fig and you pay 3 dollars (before tax) but buying three build a figs at a store is about 3.33 a fig with an accessory I believe... so there is not much of a difference IMO.
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    I think we'd see less complaints about the price if they started them at $2.99 instead of $1.99... That being said, with the increased stock, it should be easy to find these for $2.25 during TRU's BOGO50 sales - unless they mark them up just prior to the sale like they did last time...
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    Like others have said...there is GREAT PLAYABILITY with these figs. You can Moc scenes for these little guys. My son and I do it all the time with our extra brick collections. We add 'em to our already build kits as well. Gotta' use some imagination homey.
    Well playability isn't really questionable... maybe if they were glued to their stands (Which would be a nightmare). Given that minifigs are the tools most use to play with their Lego I don't really see why it's worth debating "playability" with the collectibles.

Jwsmart I kind of thought the Alien was just filler. I don't mean to comment on how ugly he was, but rather point out his useless nature to the collection. As you said, there was Space Police (III)... but that doesn't get my hopes up for any Roman (or any other) theme inspired by collectible minifigure popularity. In short I see the Gladiator (and others) as ways of Lego making money off figures for a theme they have no intention of creating.
  • legohairlegohair Member Posts: 41
    Do you know, I got my first ever CMF **today**! As a birthday present. A swash-buckler with a sword and plummed hat, from Series 4. Another step out of my Dark Ages... Don't think I'll turn into a full-on CMF collector, but they are cute...
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Don't think I'll turn into a full-on CMF collector, but they are cute...
    Thats how it starts!! :)

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    Why does this remind me of those super hot collectibles of the 1990s... what were they called again.... oh yeah Beanie Babies..... and what does a Princess Diana Limited Beanie Baby go for these days? :-(

While I'm not poo-poo'ing them as personal enjoyment for yourself and for your children... at $3.50 each..... ouch that is steep!

Beware of excessive hype and hysteria.... and remember they didn't just make these by the hundreds....

Not to rain on anyones parade... but as long as the demand is there for the enormous supply that is likely being cranked out of China... all is well....
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,790
    edited June 2011
    While I'm not poo-poo'ing them as personal enjoyment for yourself and for your children... at $3.50 each..... ouch that is steep!

Beware of excessive hype and hysteria.... and remember they didn't just make these by the hundreds....
    Despite the relative re-sale mark up on some series 1 figures (I'm looking at you series 1 zombie) I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that these 'collectibles' are being collected for anything other than the joy of having them (ie. they're not being bought as an investment for college funds)
    ... at least two collectible minifigure moulds (the S3 ray-gun and the S1 syringe) have made their way into the theme.

Anything that enables LEGO to make more, crazier elements and minifigures is OK by me.
    We will, without doubt, see more CMF moulds make there way into the mainstream themes (such as musketeer hat, spartan helmet as well as the above mentioned) so if this is a way of funding new parts without 'risking' new themes or increasing set prices (due to new moulds) then I'm all for it. Bring on series 10!
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 270
    I think the collecting hysteria has died down significantly since series 1 and 2 as there are now plenty to go around so yes, it does remind me of other collectibles where supply eventually reached demand and suddenly the resale value returned to MSRP. I agree that paying more than $3 for a figure that is produced in such quantities seems a bit excessive.

I'd like to think that I am done collecting them just for the sake of collecting them as I mainly use the historic figures, but then I usually just get the rest because 'you never know'

I think the series will continue for a while longer. I'm sure LTG determined it could make a profit on series 1 based on the amount produced and the MSRP of $2, so I think it will be a while before demand falls back to a series 1 production level and with the current price, I think their profit margin must be great for them.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    Purely from a stop motion animators point of view, it's not from a playability reason I buy them :)
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 271
    I totally missed out on series 1 (still haven't got the ones I wanted most) so it's been easier for me to pass on some later figures I might have bought just for the sake of having a complete collection.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    There are those out there that look at LEGO as purely as an investment (I happen to know a few)... but in their case it's often the older much rarer sets and items that are being collected as such the wooden LEGO toys from the 40s and 50s (most over $500 each), and also the 50s and 60s sets and rare parts (some going up to $4000 each).

But I am sure that there are some folks out there that are squirreling away several of each of the series of CMFs as a future investment. Some even have sealed cases of them packed away.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited June 2011
    The only 'problem' I even saw with figs were that Series 3 and 4 where released too close together. Didn't give ya' time to collect all of series 3 and enjoy them more, then suddenly series 4 is overlapping.
    I think a beginning of summer release for one series, then another series around end of Nov. for Xmas would be so much better. Great to have throughout the summer to collect, then another anticipated series around the holidays for presents, stocking stuffers.
    As a consumer, I'd prefer that scenario better for the love of collecting and spaces out your budget better as well.