Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Proper Introduction - Hello from Ohio

CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
Thought I should properly introduce myself since I have been a long time lurker that has recently started posting. When I was a young child, I saw a model of a haunted house that I believe was made of cardboard. I fell in love with it instantly. I relentlessly begged my mom for it, but it just wasn't meant to be. I never forgot about that model and have loved all things classic monsters since then. Fast forward thirty some odd years later with my first child on his way - the haunted house model was again at the top of my mind. I decided to try to find something similar to what I had saw as a child so that I could make a tradition with my new son. I wanted it to be something that we could set up every year at Halloween time and enjoy together. A quick search led me to a designer's video of an upcoming set - #10228 The Monster Fighters Haunted House. It was absolutely perfect. It was even better than what I had originally had in mind. I bought it the night it was released. While waiting for the set to release I started looking for some minifigures of classic monsters to go with the house. I didn't realize how easy that task was going to be b/c I had never heard of the CMF figures before. One quick search on ebay and I was introduced to the CMF witch, mummy, Frankenstein monster, and werewolf. I was new to Lego, inexperienced, and I'm sure I paid out the nose for those figures on eBay. It doesn't matter though. The purchase of the HH and those first few minifigs was awesome! It was a childhood dream finally realized and it’s what led me to this wonderful hobby.

Since that first introduction I have completely became addicted, especially to the CMF line. I see most of the figures as an excellent way to make play & story time both fun and educational. The figures are a great way to introduce other cultures and elements from history. Of course my son is a ways off from that (he's not even 8 months old yet), but they will be here waiting when he is ready.

I have also dabbled in reselling as well, but that part really happened by accident. Once I left the dark ages, I started doing what the rest of you do - frequenting the Lego section every chance I get. I happened upon a clearance rack of Lego sets that were significantly reduced at my local Meijer. The clearance rack contained two Black Pearls, 1 Queen Anne’s Revenge, and 2 Alien Conquest Earth Defense. They were all marked down to $30.00 each. I knew nothing about investing in Lego, the value of those sets, or reselling at the time. I had actually never sold anything on eBay up until that point either, but I knew I should be able to make a little something off them b/c the price seemed so low. I didn't even have a smart phone at the time, so I couldn't check eBay before I pulled the trigger. I took a chance and bought them all right there. I listed everything except one of the Pearls on eBay. Imagine my surprise (and knew found obsession) when I saw what those sets were going for on ebay - I had them all sold in a couple of weeks and got a nice lump of cash to invest into my new hobby. Wish I would have held on to that QAR now... but I had no idea what I had at the time. I thought I was Mr. #1 Ebay Seller of the Universe after that. I soon learned that kind of find is few and far between though and lightening hasn't struck for the 2nd time yet. It's just crazy that I stumbled on to a stash like that at pretty much the exact moment I got into Lego.

Anyways - that's how it all came to be. It's been a great ride so far and I'm loving it. I cannot wait for my son to grow up enough to join me. I found this forum by way of Eurobricks but now spend the majority of my time here. Its hands down the site I frequent the most these days and I love reading the Collecting & Buying / Selling topics. This place is a wealth of knowledge with a great community.
BrickDancer

Comments

• indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    Welcome aboard.
    We are a pretty friendly bunch :) most of the time anyway.

CMFs are one of my favourite things to collect from the lego themes. I am still trying to find a way to display them in my head however I will get there eventually. Maybe by series 20 and the Mrs Gold release.

The haunted house is a fantastic set to look at. I haven't purchased it myself as I think it is one you need to display.

Sounds like you had a pretty good start to coming back. Sadly it is all downhill from here as you will find out as gems like that don't happen often :)

CJ.
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    Welcome indigobox. Disney used to have a game that had a pop-up haunted mansion made of very light cardboard. I checked but there aren't any on ebay right now. We added trick-or-treaters to our Lego Haunted House. If you watch there are minifigures with short legs that work great for trick-or-treaters. Enjoy your new found love of Lego.