Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Historic UK Prices

the_cookthe_cook Member Posts: 2
I've always been a little annoyed that the prices for historic sets are available in US Dollars but not in UK pounds. When I was a child my source for Lego was usually Argos, many evenings were spent pouring over the catalogue planning out a wish-list for Santa, so the obvious place to get historic data

This flicker image, and the next in the album, list the bits of the 1985 Lego range that were available in Argos that year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3592672791/in/set-72157619206330728/

Interestingly it's also the crossover between 3 digit set numbers and 4 digit set numbers; it's taken 28 years to make the next leap to 5 digits.

The 1986 catalogue is also present, a full 3 pages of classic Lego goodness.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3591055322/in/set-72157619081815831/

Comments

• the_cookthe_cook Member Posts: 2
    1976 was a good year for me, although I was probably a little too young at that precise point in time to appreciate Lego...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3590090650/in/set-72157619071382653/
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    I too spent many hours staring at Argos catalogues as a child. Can't believe how good the images are, it hasn't changed that much at all.
    I can remember #8860 car chassis being the top of my list and costing £24.99 originally. Never did get it as a child. If people are bored of the Death Star hanging around #8860 came out in 1980 and those Argos images show it still for sale in 1986.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Great to so #6384 there. I loved that police station. The garage door blew me away. Simple pleasures :-)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,630
    Some of these pages actually seemed to be burned into my brain. I use to love poring over the new Argos catalogue.

^^ I agree with what you mean about products 'hanging around'. A lot of my early lego (and other toys) seem to have been released years before I would have been old enough, or my parents would have bought them for me.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    On the next page they have the old classic bontempi mouth piano.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,236
    That was our version of the Internet in those days.

The lingerie sections of the clothing catalogues were a far more innocent version of what the Internet makes available to the kids these days.

That was our version of the Internet in those days.

You obviously did not have Encarta. :D

^ Not in the 1970s. Even in the 80s. If we had encarta back then, we'd probably still be waiting for it to load now. I remember when waiting 10-15 minutes for a game to load on a spectrum was acceptable.
    ^True. I was getting my history jumbled, but it was more a reference to it being 'our version of the internet'.

Back on topic, it would be interesting to know the difference in 'shelf life' between lego sets back then and now (ie how long before sets were EOL'd.)
    ^ Not sure, but those six items are all the lego they stocked that year. How things have changed.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 718
    I could go way off topic on M*A*S*K and Transformer tangents but that will have to wait until I get home when I can prove how much better toys were then to my son, although I'm now getting an idea just how much my parents spent on Christmas and birthdays.