Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

K Boxes - How do you get them?

CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
Hello,

I have been aware of the availability of these 'K boxes' for some time now, but have only recently found the need for a couple. I was wondering if anybody can give me any information about how to acquire them from the Lego Store?

I have a good relationship with the staff there and want to avoid asking about something which they are unaware of (which I fear might be the likely reaction). My local store is Brighton, UK and I am not sure if they are available in the UK or not, so would be happy to hear any tips on asking about them or experiences you might have had getting hold of them.

Many thanks,

CapnRex101

Comments

• ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    what's a lego K box?
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,176
    edited May 2013
    From my own experience in the USA. Is the "K-box" the box of a single part from the Pick A Brick wall? If so, you can just ask and it's $70 USD for a large box of a part (if they have another case in the back stock room). It's a better value for a single part than filling up 5-6 Large PAB cups for $15 USD each.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    Ah, got it. Big brown box of loose parts :)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    I contacted Lego about it and got this response:

Dear Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Unfortunately the 'K Box' is not a regular service we provide in the LEGO® stores or anywhere else. It seems that a few AFOL's were able to get their hands on those boxes from certain brand retail stores but that would happen at the store's own discretion.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Happy building!

Pieter
    LEGO Service

That just seems bizarre to me, can anybody who has got them in the past shed any light on this?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,522
    I don't know much about this, but it would seem that it's something that some stores do, not an official service that TLG requires all stores to provide.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    #CapnRex101 Just ask instore in a discrete manner. Availability will vary depending on stock etc. Not purchased myself but I'm aware of plenty in the UK that have from various stores.
    @kevbags - OK, well I will call them tomorrow and see what they say about them. I fear I will get the standard response from staff in the Brighton store which is "not that I'm aware of."

On Saturday I went in there and asked whether they had any idea when the Lone Ranger sets would become available this Summer and not one staff member had any idea what I was talking about. Although in that case I could prove I was not crazy by finding articles about the sets online, in this case with the 'K box' it is more difficult to prove that such a thing even exists to them.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,246
    I've bought a few boxes and when I started looking to do so, I had asked at the Mall of America store thinking that the original US store would do it if any of them did and they told me they didn't do it. I had no problem though at the 3 non-downtown chicago area stores and I remember talking to the manager at one of the stores and they thought it was LEGO policy to be able to sell them.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,872
    Yes, it is up to the manager if they want to sell the boxes. I have done it in the past, and one of our members just did it about a week ago.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Get to know the manager, and buy from that store, and you should be good to go. What piece(s) are you looking for?
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    Regular staff would probably know them as "them boxes out back wot we fill the PAB wall with". They are £45, and depending on the piece you buy they might not be as good value as stacked cups.
  • TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    The first rule about the "K Box" is...
    ^ It's more like you go call someone over to ask to look at the secret "list" of what they have in the back, quietly make your choice and then stand in the corner leaning against a wall looking like a drug dealer while the employee slips off and returns with a nondescript brown box and "rings you up" for it.
    DougoutMorkMan
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I will make some enquiries in store. The general consensus seems to be to approach the store manager and discreetly ask whether they are available. I just fear the reaction of "I have no idea what you're talking about" which has occurred a few times in the past. I sometimes forget that not everybody who works in Lego stores is actually a Lego aficionado, to some people it is 'just a job' would you believe? :)

@FollowsClosely - I am looking for dark grey 2x4 bricks, trans-light blue 1x1 round plates and trans-blue 1x1 slopes (cheese wedges). They are each available at the Brighton Lego store at the moment. All are for my Arkham Asylum MOC, construction of the first section of which is about to commence (once I can get these parts which will contribute towards it).
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,522
    ^ ask if they have any whole boxes of PaB bricks in the back. If they do, ask if it's possible to buy one. Simple. :)
    Dougout
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Yes, they are the boxes the store uses to fill the PAB wall. I wanted to make a large portrait using pieces one time, so I researched it. You can purchase one from a store manager, but you can only choose from what they have left and it will not even be as many choices as what they have on their current PAB wall.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 861
    Do we know why the are called "K Boxes"? Does the K stand for "Thousand" as it does in accounting/finance terms?
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,872
    LEGO uses a system of boxes called K Boxes. I have seen K3, K5, K8, and others. It refers to box size.
    ^ My guess is that that it is possibly K for kilogram. The box of dk bley 2x4's that I've only taken out a handful or so from probably weighs 1kg without the box. It is definitely not a count so my guess is they go by weight. It's the same size box I think for all parts but its not always packed full.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Of note buying 2x4s in the boxes is significantly more expensive than buying them in (small) cups

Stacking time matters if course
    FollowsClosely
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    ^yep. Boxes save time not money. I can't help you with any of those. But I would take a few pictures with you and show the manager, and go from there. Most try to not let boxes go to resellers, hence the advice to start with pictures and go from there.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    My local store is happy to sell the whole box, for most of the parts.

There are a few things they won't sell a full box on, horses being the best example, but everything else is usually fine.
  • GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96
    edited May 2013
    I buy these boxes from my store all the time. I have 12 of them sitting next to me right now. They will only sell the standard bricks in the boxes, no special parts like fences or bamboo (Have to use the cups for those). They cost $70 USD a box. I just got 6 boxes of 2x4 dark grey for my train spiral and it is worth it vs. stacking that many into cups. They will also try to order for me if they have the time so that has been very nice. Sometimes they have pieces in the back that are not on the wall and you can ask for them. If you have a good relationship with the employees they are normally willing to accommodate any reasonable request.
    FollowsClosely
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Goldfreek said:

If you have a good relationship with the employees they are normally willing to accommodate any reasonable request.

^ This... Life is all about relationships, take care of people and they will take care of you! :)

That has been the greatest lesson I've learned from my 20 years in business, people (both customers and employees) are the most valuable thing a business has.
    MorkMankylejohnson11Legobutterfly