RSS feed - click through?

sramsram Member Posts: 60
I get my Brickset news fix via a RSS reader.

Is there any chance the administrators will consider the older setting that showed the entire news in my reader without having to click through to Brickset please?

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    I changed it to how it is now a month or so ago because some websites were taking the feed and republishing the articles in full as if they were their own.

It is fairly common for RSS feeds to just show a 'teaser' for the article, to encourage you to visit the site (where, of course, ads are shown etc.) to read it in full.

• sramsram Member Posts: 60
    I did notice the change right away, but figured I would get used to it. But I am not getting used to it, so was wondering if there was a chance to revert back.

All feeds I subscribe to provide full article, brickset is the only one that is different right now. I do understand that you want to drive traffic to brickset.com, and I do go to the website for other reasons.

I hope I am not a lone voice requesting for this and do hope that reverting to the "full article" setting will not adversely affect brickset.com.

Too bad there are folks out there mis-using the feed!!! *sigh*
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 473
    another issue that bugs me is that it only shows the last 10 entries. if it would be more a mlarge influx doenst cause older items to disappear before you got em read.... other sites i know use 30 or 40 elements visible
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 322
    I too immediately noticed the change as I use the brickingnews app on my iPad. When clicking through to view a whole brickset article, a web page is launched within brickingnews which poorly renders text (because the app was made for the smaller iPhone and not the iPad). However, the text shows up fine for everything published straight in the RSS feed.

Same articles only have a title and no text at all. It's is rare, but occasionally happens.

TBB, FBTB and Eurobricks all display the full articles text.

I really appreciate the service brickset provides, but would have the same request as @sram if at all possible.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    You can set that yourself in your RSS feed settings. I have it set to 50 feeds...(c;

another issue that bugs me is that it only shows the last 10 entries. if it would be more a mlarge influx doenst cause older items to disappear before you got em read.... other sites i know use 30 or 40 elements visible

OK -- the feed has been changed, the full article is shown again, but with a note about where it was originally published at the bottom.

The feed has shown only the 10 latest entries since the year dot, that hasn't been changed. Most RSS readers save them locally them, don't they? I use Outlook which certainly does.
    sram
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 473
    i use firefox's dynamic bookmarks cause im used to do it that way and these dont do it. maybe a addon helps me
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 322
    @huw I can't believe how responsive you are to the communities requests. We mention one very small item of the site and you fix it up in less than a day. Excellent site and service. Thanks!
    sramJosephsamiam391sidersdd
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    @huw thank you, you totally rock!

I second @canon03's opinion completely.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
    Head-smack!
    Huw said:

...I use Outlook...</
    I never thought to read Brickset through Outlook! Now I don't have to minimize my browser all the time! This excites me!

Outlook makes an excellent RSS reader. I can send you my OPML file with about 30 LEGO if you're interested.
    sram
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    canon03 said:

@huw I can't believe how responsive you are to the communities requests. We mention one very small item of the site and you fix it up in less than a day. Excellent site and service. Thanks!

Just like Bricklink.... oh wait.