Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Registering a Complaint with TLG About May 4th 2013 Discounts

streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
edited May 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
Gonna take @kevbags idea in the May 4th thread a step further to encourage anyone outside North America to write to The LEGO Group, and let them know how you really feel about the B-wing discount.

It doesn't have to be long or pretty, and it can be in your native tongue, not only English. Make your voice heard.

Here's the French link for TLG customer service. Change it your country/region:

http://service.lego.com/fr-fr/

This is the second time the LEGO Group has offered different discounts for the same promo: first with the 10179 Falcon, and now with the B-wing. Is it going to be a third time unlucky?

I just sent my e-mail off a few minutes ago. Feel free to continue this thread when you've sent off yours.

Done!

Comments

• joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Have sent a message myself, not too long just a small rant really.

I'll post the reply up when i get it.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,532
    edited May 2013
    I'm afraid I haven't, no. Two main reasons:

1. I'm not actually bothered about the Star Wars line.

2. We don't know the whole story. It could well be that the US had a massive glut of the sets, and the rest of the world didn't (maybe they thought demand would be much higher in the US?).

Obviously TLG will have the exact numbers as to how many sets each store will have, and how many they're selling. This is also very likely to be expressed as how many 'weeks worth of stock' each store has - i.e. if not replenished, how long will it take for each store to sell out?

So imagine you're TLG, and you're looking at the numbers. Imagine you want to EOL the B-wing and have it cleared out of stores in, say, September. You look at the Weeks Stock for the UK etc stores, and most of them are, let's say, around 20 weeks. Some may be a bit higher, some a bit lower, but in this scenario they'll mostly run out around the end of September, which is perfect.

Then you look at the US stores, and see that because there's a glut of the sets in the US (because TLG thought they'd sell better there), most stores have, let's say, 80 weeks stock. Now clearly you don't want to still be selling them in October 2014, so you're going to have to reduce them - ideally by enough to pretty much clear them out by September (or whenever).

If you do this closer to the EOL time, there's a chance not too many people will notice, and you'll fail to get rid of them. However, there's that 'May 4th' promo coming up isn't there? Why not give a big discount on the B-wing then, so that it's pushed as the main deal that day? Loads more people would notice the deal, and you'd stand a very good chance of clearing the stock completely. The fans will love it, US stores will get the stock cleared out, everyone wins. "Yeah! Let's do that!" say TLG.

From TLG's perspective, the whole point of reducing it in the US therefore is to clear the stock quicker than it would otherwise do naturally. Assuming the stock in the rest of the world doesn't need clearing quicker, why would TLG reduce it there? It would make no business sense to, and don't forget that at its core, TLG is a business.

That's my theory anyway, and if what I've just postulated is anything close to the truth, then I'd do exactly the same thing myself.
    dougtstmgm528yak_face
    I am sure most of your points are pretty bang on but I sent my message in the hope that someone at Lego can give me a little insight in to how they worked it out. They are usually pretty decent with their CS so hopefully won't be too long.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    This is probably just another casualty from America's huge consumer economy. Not much can be done. They had far too many B-wings in the US, so they slashed the prices on it. It's sad, but it would have taken more money to ship it to the EU. The EU gets good deals ever so often when the rest of us don't, so not all is lost. Good luck to you next time.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    If they had so many, how on earth did they sell out in 40 mins? The reality is that only AFOL's would have been aware of the sale, and there really isn't that many of us.
    And if it was a business decision, I would love to know if they took into consideration the fact anyone that was considering buying the B-Wing in Europe will now not even consider it. No-one in their right mind will pay £170 knowing that Lego can sell them for £65 and likely still be making a profit.
    I don't mind paying over the odds for quality, but I am no fool. Why should I pay almost 3 times the price of others because you messed up your distribution?

Needless to say I have voiced my thoughts...
    AnseltheCatgreekmick
    They didn't sell out, only certain store with lax policies did. [email protected] had them until at least 4 pm Eastern time yesterday. I agree it is a shame and a mismanagement of sorts, but there is a lot to consider when producing and selling a good globally and almost all of it revolves around saving money.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439

And if it was a business decision, I would love to know if they took into consideration the fact anyone that was considering buying the B-Wing in Europe will now not even consider it. No-one in their right mind will pay £170 knowing that Lego can sell them for £65 and likely still be making a profit.

Yeah, I think sooner or later they'll have to heavily discount it here, too. This massive US discount will surely damage their European sales on the set.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,532
    I don't know their margins, but I'd be rather surprised if they made much (if any) profit selling them at £65.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ So what business expert suggested "hmmm, we have a shed load of these B-Wings, seriously we need rid, lets slash the price to a point where we are not making any profit, that will do the job"?
    You would think someone at some point would say "yep, that is an idea, BUT, how about we drop the price by 30%, they would still sell especially on May 4th and being the biggest discount by far, and hey we make money!"

I sometimes think we lose sight of the fact these are plastic bricks, of course they are making money on £65 a set.
  • aid_77aid_77 NewburyMember Posts: 186

^ So what business expert suggested "hmmm, we have a shed load of these B-Wings, seriously we need rid, lets slash the price to a point where we are not making any profit, that will do the job"?
    You would think someone at some point would say "yep, that is an idea, BUT, how about we drop the price by 30%, they would still sell especially on May 4th and being the biggest discount by far, and hey we make money!"

I sometimes think we lose sight of the fact these are plastic bricks, of course they are making money on £65 a set.

Yep, totally agree the profit margins are no doubt very healthy on most products! What I don't think some people are getting is the inequality of having offers and deals in one territory and not others. Why shouldn't everyone get x% off?
    Personally think probably get further writing to watchdog than tlg...
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 315
    I am all for equity but there are a lot of factors involved which may have made the sale more feasible for the US than other countries. That said here are some other thoughts to consider...
    -Should the rest of the world complained when the UK got free lego in the Sun?
    -Should anyone complaining to lego about the b wing also complain to TRU since they also ran 50% off?
    -Should people in the US complain because the DS, SSD, and R2 were not discounted like they were in other regions?
    kylejohnson11Yellowcastle
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Don't see the point really, you'll get something back about different markets or that each territory decides its own.

"Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind, in the end the race is long and its only against yourself!"

A few $$$ off AN unexpected gathering was seen as a deal in the USA
    Got a very long and apologetic reply from [email protected] today.

Main point was that production for the B-Wings that were available in the US has ceased. The US B-Wing was manufactured in the US and they have given up on it, it will apparently be EOL'd in the US when all left over B-Wings have been inventoried and sold off.

Apart from the above, it was just a rambling message about markets, tax and demand. Expected really though it was suggested at the end of the message that the B-Wing will soon be available in europe at a price "You should be happy with"

Could well be a fob off but as i already have one im not too fussed myself.
    Dougout
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,227
    I voted with my wallet.
    Looks like EU will get their discount after all. Hopefully it will be 50% off.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Stupid if they don't, by announcing the 50% off in the USA, nobody clued up will consider paying full price
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

Got a very long and apologetic reply from [email protected] today.

Main point was that production for the B-Wings that were available in the US has ceased. The US B-Wing was manufactured in the US and they have given up on it, it will apparently be EOL'd in the US when all left over B-Wings have been inventoried and sold off.

Apart from the above, it was just a rambling message about markets, tax and demand. Expected really though it was suggested at the end of the message that the B-Wing will soon be available in europe at a price "You should be happy with"

Could well be a fob off but as i already have one im not too fussed myself.

Instead of paraphrasing the letter perhaps post it?
    Pitfall69