Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10214 - Tower Bridge - Should I go for it?

EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
edited June 2011 in Collecting
Hi, I'm considering picking up a Tower Bridge, but need a bit of a push. I'm 18, so the AU$320 price is a considerable sum for me. Apart from the sheer size, what's the finished product like? Is it as stunning as the 10196 Grand Carousel or the 10210 Imperial Flagship? And can we predict it's value in a few years? Will it rise in a similar fashion as the Eiffel Tower or Taj Mahal?

I'm at a crossroads, I don't want to get it and regret it, or let it go, and regret it.
What do you guys think?
Thanks.

Comments

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited June 2011
    We try to discourage these types of posts here, as they are unanswerable. No one can decide for you; there are too many variables (most personal to you) to take into account.

Personally, I don't find the 'Grand Carousel' or 'Imperial Flagship' "stunning"; I think Tower Bridge is a better model, but it has less play value, than those two. From an investment perspective, it's very difficult to judge, but it'll probably be a good investment in the long term ... but that's always a bad reason to buy in my book.

If you like the set for its own merits, & can comfortably afford it, then, sure, why not buy it. It sounds like you aren't convinced on either count ... so it's up to you ;-)
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    edited June 2011
    We try to discourage these types of posts here, as they are unanswerable.
    I understand, it won't happen again. :o)

I'm keen, but the price tag is getting in my way, I'm probably going to get it, just chuck $50 into the layby every month or so, and that problem should go away. :P

The reason I ask about the future value, is if I don't want to hold onto it, will I be able to sell it and recoup my money?. I don't buy Lego as an investment, the value is a nice bonus when I get sick of looking at one. :P
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    ^ I'm not sure the price will rocket the same way as the Carousel, Taj or Eiffel Tower did after they were discontinued but you will certainly be able to recoup your money.

I think it is going to become increasingly difficult for sellers that bought cheap to resell later on since 'Joe Public' have realised there's money to be made from Lego - even non-LEGO fans.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited June 2011
    Once it goes out of production, based on past trends, you shouldn't have any problems recouping the cost. Another thing to think about ... do you have anywhere to put it once it's built? It's a very long set ... that's what's stopped my buying it so far, the lack of anywhere sensible to put it (I have helped build one, so I've got that out of my system ;-) ). It would fit nicely on a windowsill ... here it would be about five minutes until the cat decided it would look better as parts scattered across the floor :-)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2011
    Any set where you find yourself thinking twice about the price is generally a good investment, as others will have done the same and will have missed out. I wouldnt worry about resale values in general to be honest for big sets.

This might swing you ... also shows how huge it is so bear that in mind if you want to display it. It's shelf-friendly though.

Price per brick is very good, and its great if you like Tan cheeses ;)
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=10214-1
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,261
    edited June 2011
    Get it - it's fabulous !

If you need any more encouragement, I wax lyrical about the set during a lengthy review I posted on my blog quite recently (it was actually a double blog posting as I had so much to say......). You can read it at :

http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com/2011/01/big.html (part 1)

http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com/2011/03/bigand-finished.html (part 2)

Cheers,

D.

PS. Apologies to everybody for all the recent references to my blog...... You just need to stop discussing stuff I've blogged about and I'll stop mentioning it !
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    Eric, as others have said; only you can descide if this is the right set for you. The only thing I would add in regards to the resell-value question is tan parts sell VERY WELL on Bricklink! I'm very positive you would be able to recoup your money even if you sell the set as a whole (make sure you keep the box and the instructions in nice condition!), but if somehow you can't sell the set, you can always part it out and sell it that way. I would not worry about this a bit! It is a beautiful set with many useful parts! Enjoy! :)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    @drdavewatford - do you by chance have a cd version of these blogs? ;o)
  • trypticontrypticon Member Posts: 61
    I personally don't like the bridge as much as the carousel and Imperial Flagship. Like the Taj Mahal before it, it's not minifigure scale, unless you're looking for a really fancy walking bridge, or bicycle bridge, or both.

The resale value will be nice once it's discontinued, but only if you can find buyers.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. :o)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Can I ask the experts here, would you say that this set would be particularly susceptable to UV damage? Looks like the majority of the set is tan and I can't really recal anyone complaining about tan fading or being affected badly by light.
    The reason I ask is that the only place (and a really cool place) that i could display this (due to the size of it) is in my front rooms bay window area.
    But I really need to be able to recoup some of the cost at a later date in order to justify the £210 outlay to my better half, which clearly will not be as easy if it is all faded.