The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Moving home to New Zealand with MISB

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
I'm planning on moving house to NZ and have a lot of MISB. We're probably talking about 200 or so sets although I havent counted, plus about 500 polys. Am I likely to get charged duty etc on it?

There arent many multiples except grand emporium (which needs to be at least 10 storeys high, right?)

Comments

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I know with mail/packages they sometimes charge an import duty if the value is over $500 or something. Not quite sure about goods you're personally bringing in though.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Will 200 MISB fit in your hand luggage?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    When moving house to NZ you are exempt on all items other than vehicles, boats and aircraft. I assume you aren't taking your personal jet? The one exception is where NZ customs believe you are bringing with you something you will then sell.

The problem you'll have is proving that those 200 MISB sets aren't for resale, i.e. commerical stock. If they consider them to be commercial stock then you'll have to pay (i think its 15%). To that end theres little to be gained here but instead phone NZ customs (+64 9 927 8036​) and ask them how you might prove that. They should/will/probably wont inspect each container but you do have to provide a detailed manifest for each container so if they do check it it needs to be accurate.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    thanks mate thats v useful stuff.

dang, just realised I'm also going to have to disassemble my MoCs. Nooooooooo!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Wow, thats quite a move but should be a good one. I had a NZer come and work with me a few years ago - within a year they decided it was better there and moved back even though iirc the whole thing cost them about £20,000 (an expensive experiment!). Having spoken to her at length about the place I can understand why she went back - although ofcourse it could have just been working with me what done it.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    yeah, its a big project, even more so than our wedding in new zealand which was hard enough. Defo worth it though.